News   Apr 16, 2024
 646     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 466     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 826     1 

Hudson's Bay Company

I disagree. I think the Bay Queen Street store is designed for those who like shopping not just for ‘upscale’ shoppers. I am not a value shopper but I hate spending an hour just to assess the selection of jackets or sweaters because they’re spread across the mini stores. I want to get in and out and the store design doesn’t allow that. Therefore, I don’t shop there now.

I think the shopper that wants to get in and out is rare and not the primary target for Hudson's Bay overall design. Those who don't like to go shopping have mostly shifted online (where it's easy to sort by type of time, regardless of brand) or only shop when it's an emergency (they've got you by the balls in that case so have no need to cater to you) or they're shopping for something they have to try on (and even then many people just take advantage of free online returns).

Hudson's Bay shops with 'Schitt's Creek' stars in holiday campaign

Nov. 5, 2020

Dive Brief:

• Hudson's Bay tapped "Schitt's Creek" actresses Catherine O'Hara and Annie Murphy to appear in new holiday ads that will run across its digital platforms and primetime TV, the retailer announced on Monday.
  • O'Hara and Murphy also feature in the retailer's first "Holiday Hub," an immersive mobile and desktop experience that looks to provide customers with inspiration as they shop online.
  • The brand's holiday campaign taps into interest around an Emmy Award-winning sitcom while looking to accommodate consumers during a gift-giving season that is expected to be different due to concerns around the pandemic.

I think the shopper that wants to get in and out is rare and not the primary target for Hudson's Bay overall design. Those who don't like to go shopping have mostly shifted online (where it's easy to sort by type of time, regardless of brand) or only shop when it's an emergency (they've got you by the balls in that case so have no need to cater to you) or they're shopping for something they have to try on (and even then many people just take advantage of free online returns).

Perhaps, but others of us just go elsewhere and willingly pay more not to endure the mini store layouts

Perhaps, but others of us just go elsewhere and willingly pay more not to endure the mini store layouts

For me it's the ability to see what I'm buying side by side. I want to walk through a section of the store and compare the styles or designs of what I'm buying without needing to go to various little stalls.

For example each brand may have wildly different ideas of fashion and not all are things I'd be caught dead wearing. Other times there may be sales and I like to compare items without having to wander away hoping things will be there when I get back.

All in all... I want to see all the options without needing to run around a store to do so. It wastes my time and isn't necessary

For me it's the ability to see what I'm buying side by side. I want to walk through a section of the store and compare the styles or designs of what I'm buying without needing to go to various little stalls.

For example each brand may have wildly different ideas of fashion and not all are things I'd be caught dead wearing. Other times there may be sales and I like to compare items without having to wander away hoping things will be there when I get back.

All in all... I want to see all the options without needing to run around a store to do so. It wastes my time and isn't necessary

I entirely agree. I am not sure people are as brand-conscious as some think. Back when the men's department was on the second floor at The Bay on Queen (and when it was Simpsons), there was a section of higher-end clothing at the back where many brands were mixed, and it was very easy to shop. Last time I went to the men's floor at Hudson's Bay, I needed a light jacket, and after going back and forth for a while from one branded section to another, I just gave up.

I entirely agree. I am not sure people are as brand-conscious as some think. Back when the men's department was on the second floor at The Bay on Queen (and when it was Simpsons), there was a section of higher-end clothing at the back where many brands were mixed, and it was very easy to shop. Last time I went to the men's floor at Hudson's Bay, I needed a light jacket, and after going back and forth for a while from one branded section to another, I just gave up.

I needed a wallet three years ago and went to the Bay on Queen. The wallets were spread out across the store.

Hudson's Bay likely gets paid by the brand to isolate their products from other brands. The brands probably are willing to pay so that their products are not associated with some lesser brand (or a brand with different values).

Hudson's Bay likely gets paid by the brand to isolate their products from other brands. The brands probably are willing to pay so that their products are not associated with some lesser brand (or a brand with different values).

Concession models vary.

But the most typical department store version has the brand paying a base number + a percentage of sales.

The brand controls the look of the space, the product offer, and often does their own hiring as well; though sometimes staff are hired/trained by the store; but assigned to the brand by mutual agreement.

I should emphasize here than I am generalizing and not speaking to any particular arrangement.

Headline: "Hudson’s Bay announces new online strategy to double product assortment almost overnight"
Reality: Hudson’s Bay will allow third-party sellers to join its online platform in 2021.

Headline: "Hudson’s Bay announces new online strategy to double product assortment almost overnight"
Reality: Hudson’s Bay will allow third-party sellers to join its online platform in 2021.

So basically they are doing what Best Buy did and turning their website into a flipping disaster.

One reason I hate best buy is that their website has the bulk of their merchandise. That merchandise is buried within other overpriced third party sellers. It's virtually impossible to find anything there.

Great idea if they can maintain quality control with 3rd party sellers.

I'm with @Richard White on this one.

Third-party sellers pose a lot of risks to the brand.

Risk in quality, risk assortment, risk in brand confusion, risk in customer satisfaction (whose warranty applies?).

HBC is not Amazon.

I think there is a limited space for 3rd party sellers.

That space is:

a) Brands HBC already sells, but SKU's/sizes/colours they do not.

b) Brands HBC would like to consider but wants to see test sales results before mainstreaming.

However, in either of these cases, I think HBC needs to wrap their brand around what is sold through their site.

That means standard warranty policies apply; delivery/pickup-at store available.; and HBC still has to have done some due diligence that the product is legal for sale/use in Canada, and ensured that photos, and specs on the website are accurate.

My biggest two complaints about the physical store...
1) Never know what is the correct price, I swear their sale prices change too often from 20%-80% off, is the tag price correct?
2) Never able to find an open checkout, why do I have to walk across the store or another floor to find a checkout... frustrating!

Risk in quality, risk assortment, risk in brand confusion, risk in customer satisfaction (whose warranty applies?).

HBC is not Amazon.

That space is:

b) Brands HBC would like to consider but wants to see test sales results before mainstreaming.

However, in either of these cases, I think HBC needs to wrap their brand around what is sold through their site.

That means standard warranty policies apply; delivery/pickup-at store available.; and HBC still has to have done some due diligence that the product is legal for sale/use in Canada, and ensured that photos, and specs on the website are accurate.

I agree. That's where quality control and 3rd party acceptance standards come into play.

@Richard White mentioned Best Buy's site being a disaster, but the truth is their 3rd party marketplace strategy has been a huge success for Best Buy Canada.

HBC and its brand have to evolve. Keeping the traditional department store model and even a straightforward e-commerce site isn't going to cut anymore.

If they can leverage their platform and physical locations it definitely has potential to be a winning move.

HBC is not Amazon.

That space is:

I agree. At the end of the day, it's their corporate brand that is at risk if they sell what turns out to be junk or the 'customer service experience' with the 3rd party is wanting; people will still tar HBC. Ok for Amazon but not a company that is circling the drain.

Totally off topic, but one of my big problem with Amazon, et al, is their relationship with 3rd party suppliers in areas that involve public safety. I am active on a diy site and it is really common for people to post inquiries how to install or use off-shore junk they bought online - usually but not always electrical devices - that has no North American safety certifications. A brick-and-mortar business would never be able to sell it but it is an online loophole that no one is either willing or able to take on.

Back