News   Apr 26, 2024
 233     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 474     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.4K     4 

Hudson's Bay Company

This GQ article (below) about Hudson's Bay blankets is as good an excuse as any to note that the Bay Queen Street has moved all the bedding from the concourse/basement level to the 6th floor (where the sell furniture, appliances and ... beds). As I cut through the store in the mornings on the way to work, I've been watching them empty out a significantly large area in the basement - no indications as of yet what they plan to put in there.

=======================

February 07, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Dropping Knowledge: The Hudson's Bay Company Point Blanket
By Jake Gallagher
GQ

point-blanket-635.jpg

Iconic patterns in men's style tend to concentrate regionally. In the United States, we have Pendleton's Chief Joseph print, Liberty of London has their legendary floral patterns, and the Middle East is famous for their kilim designs, but one pattern that often goes overlooked is the Hudson's Bay Company's point blanket tradition from our neighbors up North. Canada isn't usually thought of as a hotbed of timeless designs, but the point blanket print is arguably the oldest and most recognizable pattern still being produced today. The blanket tells a tale of two sets of lines, and it began, as all good design does, with a utilitarian purpose.

During the eighteenth century French trappers, working in the Canadian frontier, began using a line system as a way to easily identify a blanket's size. As the trappers would sell and exchange these blankets, the thin black lines running along the side became a shorthand so that during the sale they could size the blankets without having to unfurl them. Three and half lines meant twin sized, four lines indicated double, six lines was a queen, and so on.

The other four green, red, yellow, and indigo stripes were purely ornamental, and likely came about during the reign of Queen Anne in the very early 1700's. These original point blankets, from the eighteenth century all the way through the mid-nineteenth century, are now quite valuable as representations of the early days of the Hudson's Bay Company, when it was simply a trading organization spread throughout the Canadian wilderness, long before most of the land had really been settled.

In 1881, the HBC opened up their first department store in Winnipeg, and began to expand not only their retail operations, but their designs as well. Soon, point blankets were being offered in a wider variety of colors and sizes, and Hudson's Bay began converting the pattern into a wide range of jacket designs. There were suddenly duffel coats, pea coats, and field coats being offered in the distinctive point blanket pattern, which you can still find throughout vintage shops today. While jacket production tapered off throughout the latter twentieth century, the company fortunately decided to revive this line in 2009, even showing their latest collection just a few weeks ago at the (capsule) tradeshow in New York.

So now, just like those frontiersmen way back in the 1700's, you can proudly trek through the wilderness with a point blanket on your back... or just throw one on for a trip down to the bar on a blustery day. The journey is up to you.

blanket-lead.jpeg

This GQ article (below) about Hudson's Bay blankets is as good an excuse as any to note that the Bay Queen Street has moved all the bedding from the concourse/basement level to the 6th floor (where the sell furniture, appliances and ... beds). As I cut through the store in the mornings on the way to work, I've been watching them empty out a significantly large area in the basement - no indications as of yet what they plan to put in there.

I was told that the bedding was moved up to the 6th floor to be closer to the beds and other furniture being sold.

Tentatively, some (or all?) of the Men's dept. will be moved to the basement, and the Shoe dept. will possibly be moving and/or expanding to where the Men's dept. currently is located.

I was told that the bedding was moved up to the 6th floor to be closer to the beds and other furniture being sold.

Tentatively, some (or all?) of the Men's dept. will be moved to the basement, and the Shoe dept. will possibly be moving and/or expanding to where the Men's dept. currently is located.

Should be interesting. I noticed the signage for the move up to the sixth floor last week but, as I commented to a co-worker, it seemed strange that there wasn't anything on the sign that indicated what would be replacing linens, as I think it was phrased.

If they are really placing menswear in the basement, well, it might actually work out for the better. It retains the direct connection to the Eaton Centre for mens apparel and improves upon it with connections to the Bay-Adelaide Centre and to First Canadian Place (through the Sheraton Centre). Combined with the still somewhat new lunch destinations in the basement, yeah, The Bay might get a lift in menswear traffic. Probably wouldn't dent too much, if at all, the traffic for bedding and such either, as women already shop on a number of floors in the store.

I hope it turns out better than at The Bay in Windsor. The men's wear department is in the basement and it's a total dead zone. Apples and oranges, certainly, but still cause for concern.

If they are really placing menswear in the basement, well, it might actually work out for the better. It retains the direct connection to the Eaton Centre for mens apparel and improves upon it with connections to the Bay-Adelaide Centre and to First Canadian Place (through the Sheraton Centre). Combined with the still somewhat new lunch destinations in the basement, yeah, The Bay might get a lift in menswear traffic. Probably wouldn't dent too much, if at all, the traffic for bedding and such either, as women already shop on a number of floors in the store.

The connection to FCP might actually be closer through Bay-Adelaide, especially to the Harry Rosen that's on the east end. The Sheraton Centre route is quite circuitous; I suspect most people coming through the PATH are now more likely to use the Bay Adelaide route.

The connection to FCP might actually be closer through Bay-Adelaide, especially to the Harry Rosen that's on the east end. The Sheraton Centre route is quite circuitous; I suspect most people coming through the PATH are now more likely to use the Bay Adelaide route.

Yes, the Bay-Adelaide-->Scotia Plaza-->FCP route is *very* congested and easier in terms of getting to the Bay, especially at lunch. I work in Scotia Plaza so the Bay placing its menswear department in the basement (including the West End Shop? Always buy Strellson on sale from there) will be *much* more convienent, as opposed to going up the escalator, and then walking past all the makeup counters to where the shirts and ties are. Will definitely check this out later today.

Menswear is in the basement in the Bay's Ste. Catherine Street store in Montreal.

It would be odd if they removed menswear from the second floor since they just put Top Man up there. And if they moved menswear from the first floor, then the menswear sections would no longer be connected. So it will be interesting to see what they do.

This morning, they were emptying out the shelves of towels.

As nice as the Top Shop / Top Man is, it's really a shame it doesn't have a direct entrance from Queen Street.

Perhaps the plan is to move the more youthful men's clothing to the basement, while keeping the suits and higher-end labels upstairs (not that that really meshes with Top Man either).

In Vancouver, menswear used to be in the Basement, but was moved to the 6th (top) floor (an entire floor) which has high ceilings. They daylighted many of the heritage windows (including refinishing the wood casement windows in the high end section).
The main advantage is that when buying a suit - you can hold it up to the daylight from the windows and see whether it is navy blue or black!

The access issue has been addressed by an express elevator that services Sub-basement, Basement, Main and 6th floors only. They failed, however, to upgrade the inside of the elevators.

TopShop and TopMan moved into the Basement (not the entire floor) - so there is a huge separation between TopManin the basement and Menswear on 6th.

But it's awesome to have Menswear out of the claustrophobic basement - and surprisingly, it's always busy up there whenever I go there.

It really depends on what side of FCP that you are originating from; agreed that Bay-Adelaide is likely the busier of the two though. That said, I only meant that there are multiple connections into that level of The Bay.

...and this morning they were moving new display cases into the basement, wrapped in plastic - the kind they use to hold men's dress shirts.

At lunch today they were filled with the cheaper shirts, ties and underwear that used to be on one. And all the HBC branded stuff is where the holiday trims and trinkets were. What's taking up all the back half of the first floor?

At lunch today they were filled with the cheaper shirts, ties and underwear that used to be on one. And all the HBC branded stuff is where the holiday trims and trinkets were. What's taking up all the back half of the first floor?

Nothing yet. They are still clearing the space.

Back