Toronto Hudson's Bay Centre Renovations | 32.87m | 6s | Brookfield | Adamson

Does anyone know why the Hudson's Bay sign on The Bay's building hasn't been changed to their new logo? It suggests to me that they are not really invested in staying in/keeping that building. Is this the case? I really wish something were done with that corner of Yonge and Bloor, at least on ground level....

Last edited by a moderator:
Presumably they have not paid to change it. I don't think CIBC paid to put up their last logo across the street either. Pretty sure they went from the cufflink to the current logo.

After a recent client meeting nearby I popped into this 'flagship' Bay store to purchase a belt. I hadn't been in there in about 10 years. WHAT A DUMP. The store condition and look is tattered and old, zero customer service, confusing as heck to try and find things, and clothes askew everywhere. I felt as if I needed a long bath when I got home. Frightening.

Having said this store has always had a curculation issue. It has an odd layout certainly. I’m sure it’s days are numbered and I too look forward to its improvements. Hudson’s Bays management are surely aware of this as well.

After a recent client meeting nearby I popped into this 'flagship' Bay store to purchase a belt. I hadn't been in there in about 10 years. WHAT A DUMP. The store condition and look is tattered and old, zero customer service, confusing as heck to try and find things, and clothes askew everywhere. I felt as if I needed a long bath when I got home. Frightening.

Agree. It's shockingly horrible. It's the type of useless department store outlet you see in small town Canada. This is probably the 3rd busiest transit hub after Union and Pearson. It was an ugly pile the minute it went up and functionally obsolete not long after. Rather than throw good money after bad the whole block needs to be re-built from the ground on up.

Last edited:
Agree. It's shockingly horrible. It's the type of useless department store outlet you see in small town Canada. This is probably the 3rd busiest transit hub after Union and Pearson. It was an ugly pile the minute it went up and functionally obsolete not long after. Rather than throw good money after bad the whole block needs to be re-built from the ground on up.
The whole block is not getting a rebuild. The store needs more than a simple rethink though: the mall as well needs some major surgery, not unlike what the Queens Quay Terminal go at its south end where concrete floors and walls were remove in spots leaving supporting columns and beams where needed. More open space is required down there to make the mall inviting.

Bit of a lost opportunity. Could have done something like the images below. Examples from Richmond Hill and Hillcrest (which were both revitalization projects)

Source: https://www.wzmh.com/projects

WZMH-Architects-Hillcrest-Hudsons-Bay-HBC-Entrance-Richmond-Hill.jpg

WZMH-Architects-Hillcrest-Hudsons-Bay-HBC-Corner-Window-Detail-Richmond-Hill.jpg

WZMH-Architects-Hudsons-Bay-Yorkdale-Revitalization-Nighttime.jpg

Try this. Fire away.

Ah, I see that this site will not accept .pdf files as attachments.

Attachments

• BAY PROPOSAL 11.23.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 520
Try this. Fire away.

Ah, I see that this site will not accept .pdf files as attachments.
No, unfortunately our software doesn't allow that. If you are able to export the pertinent PDF pages as JPGs, however, the JPGs will display of course. Please give it a try!

Back