Toronto Hudson's Bay Centre Renovations | 32.87m | 6s | Brookfield | Adamson

It’s not being torn down. It’s being repurposed and reclad. The corner of Bloor Yonge is getting touched up as part of this, but I believe it’s under a separate application.

Yes, as is the Larco portion of the site to the west.

My understanding was that the TTC wanted to buy this plot to open air Bloor-yonge to reduce construction complications as well. It makes no sense for Brookfield to be investing like this in the property with an imminent expropriation of the property hanging over their head..

My understanding was that the TTC wanted to buy this plot to open air Bloor-yonge to reduce construction complications as well. It makes no sense for Brookfield to be investing like this in the property with an imminent expropriation of the property hanging over their head..

The City owns the corner of this site, roughly where the Royal Bank is; that's on a long-term lease to Brookfield.

The balance, they own (except for what Larco owns)

Yes, the plan was that the TTC was hoping to have Brookfield remove large parts of the existing complex so as to make construction of the station expansion easier; then they would have the opportunity to rebuild,
presumably with favourable terms from the City on a lease extension.'

To my understanding, there was no intent to purchase the site originally, but rather a cooperative arrangement w/Brookfield.

What a lack of imagination and inspiration in plans to rebuild this. And on such a prime location that's been begging for something cheerful and love for decades now. Instead, we get bland with glass boxes and fins instead of concrete. They should saved their money and stick with the bunker if they're going to be like that, IMO.

I'm wondering............I was told of something much different and much more ambitious some time ago..........

There was talk of the Mayor's Design Excellence Initiative and there was residential contemplated at one point.

How we got here from there......baffles me.
Toronto being Toronto.

Who owns the parking garage, Larco or Brookfield? It’s a bit dilapidated and needs to be rethought …

My God, why even bother? Why go to the trouble of tearing down the old HBC, only to replace it with something of the same height? And what about the dead-zone NE corner of Bloor-Yonge?
Is this an interim renovation perhaps? Perhaps a filing to fight an evaluation on the TTC expropriation here? I would be surprised if Brookfield actually plans on building this, and wouldn't be surprised if they filed an SPA to indicate to expropriation proceedings that the site has value as it was "currently in the process of being re-positioned" or something.. An A-class office space is worth a whole lot more in an expropriation hearing than a down-market department store space with little potential in terms of tenants..
lmao curtain wall & fins - surprise surprise

this seems to be the go-to move for commercial developers lately = supremely boring.
I'm wondering............I was told of something much different and much more ambitious some time ago..........

There was talk of the Mayor's Design Excellence Initiative and there was residential contemplated at one point.

How we got here from there......baffles me.
I'm sorry but *how* is this a surprise to anyone? Anything that happens here needs to be accretive while still following the built form (TBG) and OPA 231 guidelines that are in place. We were never going to get a new, tall, tower because the space between the existing buildings isn't wide enough. We were never going to demo the existing office tower because the replacement cost would outweigh the profit. Reclad and refurb was *always* going to be the name of the game here. I'm sorry but if folks thought we were going to get Langham Place or Ginza-Six-meets-Shibuya-Sky you were only deluding yourselves.

In that vein, I'm happy with KPMB and what we're seeing now looks promising.

It’s not being torn down. It’s being repurposed and reclad. The corner of Bloor Yonge is getting touched up as part of this, but I believe it’s under a separate application.
Exactly.

Ok......so I was putting in some phone calls to track this down.........and I still am..........

But glancing at Council's agenda, the phase 1 expropriation for this site is on the agenda, as is a communication from Brookfield's lawyers, objecting, which reveals at least some of what is going on here.......

From the above (Brookfield's Lawyers)

Note that I'm only excerpting here, and I encourage anyone interested to read the entire thing:

1651843615047.png

1651843686545.png

1651843733976.png

1651843765322.png
'
1651843792814.png

There's a good deal more as its just over 5 pages.

In sum; Brookfield is clearly accusing CreateTo and the TTC of stonewalling them

There's more to this........

I was expecting something like this BUT with a seventy-eighty story tower above plus a more inviting NE corner of Yonge and Bloor. Some trees ? A few Benches? Some greenery? A piece of art?

It's certainly bland, but at this point anything is better than the dysfunctional and uninviting bunker that currently exists.

Design-wise, it feels like a copy of a copy. Like how everyone now covers the style and feel of Jeff Buckley's version of "Hallelujah" but says they're covering Leonard Cohen. This feels like a weak, short copy of X condos homage to Mies' TD Centre.

I find it odd that the concepts don't show the building retail occupied at all. One render shows only three identifiable people within a building full of absolutely nothing. It would certainly distract from the banality to even just put up generic mannequins and retail fixtures, and I can't imagine that wasn't purposeful (due to rush or just out of spite).

Ok......so I was putting in some phone calls to track this down.........and I still am..........

But glancing at Council's agenda, the phase 1 expropriation for this site is on the agenda, as is a communication from Brookfield's lawyers, objecting, which reveals at least some of what is going on here.......

From the above (Brookfield's Lawyers)

Note that I'm only excerpting here, and I encourage anyone interested to read the entire thing:

View attachment 398420

View attachment 398421

View attachment 398422

View attachment 398423'
View attachment 398424

There's a good deal more as its just over 5 pages.

In sum; Brookfield is clearly accusing CreateTo and the TTC of stonewalling them

There's more to this........
This letter was very interesting. It seems the City is at fault here. Of course Brookfield is self-interested but their position seems reasonable.

This is so bland, so uninteresting, that it is even difficult to comment on it.

I remember in the 80's the owner had a redevelopment proposal that had basically, on the outside anyhow, an 80's Chrystal Palace vibe. Think the entrance of any mall during that time period. Except the whole complex was covered in glass. And as dated as that would probably look today, it would still be more interesting than this proposal.

Back