Toronto Hudson's Bay Centre Renovations | 32.87m | 6s | Brookfield | Adamson

Honestly don't know.

Starbucks closed a raft of locations around that time, so it wasn' unique to that spot.

So I wouldn't make any leaps there; except to say, it seems a curious acquisition all on its own.
True, they did have a lot of closures didn't they. Probably pandemic plus oversaturated market.

Also curious to see its fate. I imagine it has some decent heritage protection, but of course some slim infill could probably slide in behind it. It does seem a bit small fish for Brookfield if it didn't have redevelopment potential.

Also curious to see its fate. I imagine it has some decent heritage protection,

Listed, but not designated in the Heritage register, not much protection.

but of course some slim infill could probably slide in behind it. It does seem a bit small fish for Brookfield if it didn't have redevelopment potential.

I don't see any development potential as a free-standing site.

Aerial Pic below:

1643388403050.png

I suppose, technically you could add a floor or such, but really there's not much there by way of cost-effective return.

Note that the Adagio condo is going in right next door, and they are building to the lot line (with a windowless south elevation).

The lane way at the rear is critical to Bell Canada's operations and can't be removed.

Starbucks was planning on shifting focus to takeout even before the pandemic. That Britnell location was highly focused on a dine-in experience, and was far more space than fit with that vision.

At that point, there was an astounding number of other Starbucks with far less seating within a 1-block radius—Bay-Bloor Manulife Centre Indigo, Bloor & Church (175 Bloor St E), HBC PATH, Holt Renfrew PATH, Longo's Market (100 Bloor East), Bay & Cumberland, Bay & Charles. Just another block out adds even more—Jarvis & Bloor, 110 Bloor West, etc.

Oversaturation is an understatement.

Starbucks was planning on shifting focus to takeout even before the pandemic. That Britnell location was highly focused on a dine-in experience, and was far more space than fit with that vision.

At that point, there was an astounding number of other Starbucks with far less seating within a 1-block radius—Bay-Bloor Manulife Centre Indigo, Bloor & Church (175 Bloor St E), HBC PATH, Holt Renfrew PATH, Longo's Market (100 Bloor East), Bay & Cumberland, Bay & Charles. Just another block out adds even more—Jarvis & Bloor, 110 Bloor West, etc.

Oversaturation is an understatement.

Well, really, even one is too many.

Sub-par coffee, and uninviting pastries made by third parties, with all the ambiance of a food court is just something we don't need any of; let alone lots!

Listed, but not designated in the Heritage register, not much protection.

I don't see any development potential as a free-standing site.

Aerial Pic below:

View attachment 377100

I suppose, technically you could add a floor or such, but really there's not much there by way of cost-effective return.

Note that the Adagio condo is going in right next door, and they are building to the lot line (with a windowless south elevation).

The lane way at the rear is critical to Bell Canada's operations and can't be removed.
I was thinking something like 209 Yonge or 8 Colborne Street, those seem to be slim infill buildings that made use of the older narrow lots. Not that I particularly want the Albert Britnell building to be redeveloped...

I was thinking something like 209 Yonge or 8 Colborne Street, those seem to be slim infill buildings that made use of the older narrow lots. Not that I particularly want the Albert Britnell building to be redeveloped...

Yonge is the narrower of the two you note and is over 40ft frontage.

Britnell is something around 23ft if I recall.

Significantly smaller.

Last edited:
Yonge is the narrower of the two you note is over 40ft frontage.

Britnell is something around 23ft if I recall.

Significantly smaller.
Ah, yes, quite a bit smaller. Well then perhaps it's safe for at least as long as the HBC tower is still around.

Watch for big news soon.

I know, details, NL....

LOL, when I can.

Might be widely public first. Might not.

Here's your big news UT.

The Bay at Hudson's Bay Centre is closing on May 31st, 2022.

Retail-Insider has the scoop; and so does UT, as the story isn't yet online!

As to the future of the complex......I've told everyone to expect something substantial; but Brookfield isn't letting the cat of the bag just yet.....

A spokesperson for Brookfield is quoted as follows in the above article:

“We are excited by the opportunity to re-envision and transform this key asset at one of the most important locations in the City of Toronto. We will be submitting an application to the City of Toronto for planning approvals to bring Brookfield’s vision for the future of the property in the coming months.”

Attachments

• 1645731123904.png
    1645731123904.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Here's your big news UT.

The Bay at Hudson's Bay Centre is closing on May 31st, 2022.

Retail-Insider has the scoop; and so does UT, as the story isn't yet online!

As to the future of the complex......I've told everyone to expect something substantial; but Brookfield isn't letting the cat of the bag just yet.....

A spokesperson for Brookfield is quoted as follows in the above article:

“We are excited by the opportunity to re-envision and transform this key asset at one of the most important locations in the City of Toronto. We will be submitting an application to the City of Toronto for planning approvals to bring Brookfield’s vision for the future of the property in the coming months.”
Well the writing was on the wall for years, more-so ever since Hudson's Bay made the stupid decision to locate Saks on Queen St. instead of Bloor. They can call it a "negotiation tactic" as much as they want, but it was the wrong move and both locations are paying the price for it.

The silver-lining is that this now allows Brookfield to get somewhat creative with what they do with the complex.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the new doors connecting HBC to Bloor street are installed but not yet open. Doors will provide another entrance into the HBC and TTC from the north side of the street between Park and Yonge.

Whatever they do, please don't let this be another mismatch store front glass box do over like was done with the Manulife Centre. Or even worse, a 401 Bay reclad jobby. Instead, and if they have to, tear down the original structures and put something new, dynamic, interesting and pedestrian friendly there in place. Or even work with existing structures and design to bring it up to speed by complementing it, instead of opposing it. Yes, even bunkers can be made to look beautiful. Just saying.

but Brookfield isn't letting the cat of the bag just yet....
Cats prefer boxes though. 😼

Last edited:
I think that's exactly what we'll see.

I can understand your cynicism.
But I don't think so.

I will say, I have not seen the plans yet..........
So I may be surprised in a negative way.

But I'm somewhat more optimistic.

Back