Hudson's Bay Centre Renovations | 39.24m | 7s | Brookfield | Adamson

xy3

Member Bio
Reaction score
Id much rather Robert Stern than Gehry or Michael Chin, assuming it's going to look like the ROM addition or Forma (both those projects are clunkers) An 8 Spruce Street tier building with a vertical mall might be a worthy replacement though.

UtakataNoAnnex

Member Bio
Reaction score
I mean, it makes more sense if you look at it as wanting something ole fashioned but with lots of weird arsed angles and jagged spikes thrown in... 🙀

xy3

Member Bio
Reaction score
What are you talking about?
People were discussing the possibility of HBC Centre eventually being demo'd in its entirety and replaced with a 'starchitect' designed building. 'Starchitect' buildings in Canada tend to turn out to be clunky value engineered designs like the ROM crystal or Forma. That's why if it's going to be demo'd , Id rather it was replaced by something more conservative but of high quality.

ProjectEnd

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
It's not getting demo'd.
I'm sorry but *how* is this a surprise to anyone? Anything that happens here needs to be accretive while still following the built form (TBG) and OPA 231 guidelines that are in place. We were never going to get a new, tall, tower because the space between the existing buildings isn't wide enough. We were never going to demo the existing office tower because the replacement cost would outweigh the profit. Reclad and refurb was *always* going to be the name of the game here. I'm sorry but if folks thought we were going to get Langham Place or Ginza-Six-meets-Shibuya-Sky you were only deluding yourselves.

In that vein, I'm happy with KPMB and what we're seeing now looks promising.

Exactly.