News   Jul 31, 2024
 380     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 417     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 356     2 

HST IPetition

The HST is a good thing, and it's coming. I know no one likes taxes, but this one is better than the PST.

I agree, but since it is wider - it should also be a little lower... or maybe lower personal and business income taxes to offset a little.

McGuinty is doing just that:

As at July 1, 2010 (HST inception date) the lowest personal income tax bracket drops from 6.05% (provincial rate) to 5.05%

An HST Tax credit is added which enriches or adds to the GST credit for low-income earners

Corporate income tax declines that year, and subsequent years from a current 14% general rate 12% for manufacturers to 10% for all forms of business.

I agree, but since it is wider - it should also be a little lower... or maybe lower personal and business income taxes to offset a little.

The HST change is effectively a cut in corporate taxes (it reduces the marginal tax rate on new investment). That is actually the main reason why it is, and should be done--to improve competitiveness.

In addition, we're getting a 1 ppt income tax reduction plus some one time payments. The whole anti-HST movement is terribly ill-informed, and I have no time for it.

McGuinty is doing just that:

As at July 1, 2010 (HST inception date) the lowest personal income tax bracket drops from 6.05% (provincial rate) to 5.05%

An HST Tax credit is added which enriches or adds to the GST credit for low-income earners

Corporate income tax declines that year, and subsequent years from a current 14% general rate 12% for manufacturers to 10% for all forms of business.

Well then I am all for the HST (even though I will have to add it to my bill if I am still in Canada) replacing the PST. Sorry, no petition for me.

Back