News   Apr 19, 2024
 482     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.6K     3 

How can and/or Should Canada help the European migrants?

Oh wow you’ve found one store with a “Refugees Welcome” sign! Guess what? I’ve seen one store in Austin, Texas with an “Eat Vegan” sign as well; the store owner told me how thrilled she was at how much positive feedback she was getting. I guess that means that the great majority of Texans are enlightened vegan PETA activists……

I’m curious which part of Berlin do you live in? Maybe we should meet for coffee so we can discuss the matter more in depth .

If you had read my post correctly, you would have noticed that I stated that the majority of Germans were opposed to “these types of policies”, which I stated earlier as meaning making the borders wide open and letting anybody in without any security check or determining whether the person is an actual refugee as opposed to an opportunistic economic migrant. The majority of the country realizes that taking in millions of migrants every year is unsustainable and that’s what most Internet comments assert, not “death to the refugees” which you would have people believe. But my opinion is not based solely on Internet comments, most of which have genuine Facebook profiles, it’s based on interacting with a variety of Germans from a diverse range of socio-economic and educational backgrounds. And this is from more liberal cities like Dusseldorf, Cologne and Berlin. Nonetheless the “anger”, as you would call it, is not generally based against the migrants themselves, even if they are economic migrants and not refugees, it’s against Merkel and her government (the CSU faction which is now rebelling against her), along with non-elected EU bureaucrats like Juncker.

To further deconstruct your statement, it seems that you've (intentionally) misunderstood what I've said “The comments on the internet are generally 80 %+ negative towards these types of policies while the positive ones usually get a 4-1 dislike to like ratio. It's quite astonishing because in Germany any type of opposition to this type of immigration has been perceived for decades to be reminiscent of Nazism or racial hatred, which could land you in jail here. “ Let's look at the facts:

a. In Germany if you oppose an open doors policy, you could be labeled as a racist or Nazi, which could land in you jail.

b. The majority of comments on the internet, with genuine Facebook profiles, out of thousands, are against Merkel's policies.

Doesn't logic dictate that most people that are against Merkel's policies would choose not to comment out of fear? Hmmm I guess not and I guess most of these people want to get in trouble.......

Furthermore why am I not surprised that you didn’t address any of my questions? 

Oh wow you’ve found one store with a “Refugees Welcome” sign! Guess what? I’ve seen one store in Austin, Texas with an “Eat Vegan” sign as well; the store owner told me how thrilled she was at how much positive feedback she was getting. I guess that means that the great majority of Texans are enlightened vegan PETA activists……
LOL! My bad. Good thing you have excellent, rigorous, and statistically significant data gleaned from internet comments to support your position.

Good points Mislav; I have family in Holland along the German border and they are worried. Things seem to be out of control.

As for the topic, I definitely think we as Canadians should do our fair share in helping refugees in need. However hundreds of thousands, what Maclean's suggested, is a bit too much. I see this as a world problem not just a Canadian or European one. If other countries were willing to share the burden, it would be a lot easier.

LOL! My bad. Good thing you have excellent, rigorous, and statistically significant data gleaned from internet comments to support your position.
LOOOOOOOL and the "Welcome refugees!" sign across the street from the building that you don't live in is "excellent, rigorous and statistically significant" data?

Also the fact that you didn't answer my questions tell me how greatly informed you are of the situation :).

Canada doesn't seem to have a reputation of being especially friendly to refugees these days like it used to. I remember in the 90s, it was a source of pride that Canadians took in many seeking refuge from many conflicts like the Balkans, Sri Lanka etc. I think percentage-wise, we don't really take in as many refugees as before.

Back