Toronto Honeydale Mall Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Fieldgate

What would be the impetus for the extension of the Bloor line into Mississauga (the only place it could go after a station here)? We already have one subway line about to cross the city boundary which I'm sure will prove to be a terrible allocation of resources.

Crossing the border on the western side would serve way more people than Vaughan ever will.

Anyway, I'll even take a one stop extension to Honeydale/Cloverdale. Although at this rate it'll be another 40 years after that for another 1-stop extension to Sherway.

Crossing the border on the western side would serve way more people than Vaughan ever will.

Oh probably, I've just never understood this fascination of extending current lines instead of building where we truly need it. DRL should have happened before we even considered building the current the University-Spadina line addition, or extending the Sheppard line (or really building Sheppard in the first place).

Anyways, I'm taking this too far off topic so I'll leave it at that.

It's not that off topic. Around the time that this proposal appeared, Peter Milczyn was dusting off the proposed Sherway extension to the Bloor line… but it got no traction, and neither has this proposal.

One of the biggest benefits for an extension here would be to get a new Mi-Way Transit hub built. The Islington one brings Mi-Way buses too far into Etobicoke on several roads.

I'm not saying this line is my first priority at all, just that it would be useful… in several ways actually.

Extending that line to Sherway, Dixie Go station and the Cooksville go station/Hurontario LRT would make so much sense.

hmmm...I dunno...dont you think it should be marked as a heritage site and preserved as an example of early Toronto retail?

The funny thing is, depending on the engineering involved, this is exactly the type of extension where the capital costs can be funded by the private sector to a large degree.

AoD

I noticed that too, a week ago or so I noticed I think. Maybe even before that. Can't remember lol. Basically whenever I last drove to Kipling I noticed No Frills was gone.

There are no Winners at Honeydale - in fact I'd be surprised if there are any retailers left in the mall.

AoD

PS: Just realized there is a bit of a double entendre to this.

Last edited:
There are no Winners at Honeydale - in fact I'd be surprised if there are any retailers left in the mall.

AoD

is honeydale not cloverdale mall?

Sorry did some research and found out it is indeed a different mall across from the Fiat dealership. That's where I bought my FIAT which I love btw. Anyways everytime I go in the area for service Im shocked by how depressing Dundas is but how nice the houses just north of the area are. If a Subway made it to Cloverdale it would help a lot. Besides these stores that are going under are on massive sights which would be perfect for redevelopment.

Last edited:
There are so many properties along this stretch of Dundas where redevelopment is planned, but which are just waiting in the wings for some reason.

Honeydale would be most directly affected by a subway extension in terms of property value as the East Mall is the next likely station, even though this site is just east of where the station would be. It's understandable that the owners here would like to see the line extended for sales purposes, but it's more complicated than that; there's a TTC right-of-way/easement of some sort through the south side of this site, as is the case all the way to the current end of the line at Kipling Station, so any redevelopment in that area comes with much more planning.

There are redevelopment sites all the way along Dundas up to Kipling subway station, the furthest east immediately adjacent to the west side of the Tridel Essex towers. The largest ones start at Shorncliffe Rd and go as far as the shuttered Canadian Tire store site. I believe there are three owners through that stretch after some property consolidation, but those are all being planned as a group with new internal roads, etc. Again, the southern edge of those properties would be physically affected by a subway extension. When something finally goes ahead there, it will be very interesting to hear what contingencies have been put in place regarding the line, eg. - will the subway remain close to/at the surface here, with cut and cover style tunnels put in place to without tracks until such time as the extension goes ahead? These considerations must be holding up redevelopment here to a degree.

I thought there were a few businesses still with mall access - No Frills in particular reliant on the mall entrance. I remember reading about a sad flea market and a hair dresser still inside. Anyone know if they're gone?

Back