Toronto Honeydale Mall Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Fieldgate

The Honeydale Mall/Condo replacement plan looks very towers-in-a-park suburban, and I personally do not like all of the buildings at the back being the same height. That seems very Brazilia to me: ick.

The planning department's requirement for any new development on the site to not impede a future East Mall station on the Bloor-Danforth subway is notable. (There is a recent Six-Points thread in the Transportation section that has been considering that extension.)

In regards to the Westwood TTC Parking lot, the map at the back seems to indicate nothing nuch more than the paved area that's there already to be sequestered for TTC patrons. Anyone using that lot would be in for a very long walk: It almost looks as though the distance to Islington station would be shorter than walking over to Kipling unless an eastern entrance to that station is constructed.

I agree, the Honeydale proposal needs work. At the street level it's one storey, meaning more of the same.

Re: Parking Lots. When I was up at my Ministry's new digs just north of Finch on Yonge (5775) I could see the ParkNRide from the eighth floor, and I realized that at the far end of the lot (which extends into the Hydro corridor) that the walk from your car to the TTC station would be farther than my walk from home to work. Maybe they should call them ParkNWalkNRides.

Anyone using that lot would be in for a very long walk: It almost looks as though the distance to Islington station would be shorter than walking over to Kipling unless an eastern entrance to that station is constructed.

You're right - it's terrible - pedestrians would be forced to the Auckland Road entrance by the passenger pick up area. I could see people saying screw this and using the bus loop ramp, especially when heading back to their cars. You almost need a parking lot shuttle.

Six 20 storey towers? Why not mix it up a little? The actual park could be bigger, too.

How new are those renderings?

I'm extremely frustrated by the lack of action on this site. Here we are 7 long years after re-development of the site was first proposed, yet this horrific, dilapidated, 95% abandoned mall continues to rot away. It's made worse by the fact that there are now several other sites along this stretch of Dundas that have become abandoned eyesores. There seems to be an unending parade of massive development proposals along the south side basically from Subway Crescent all the way to the East Mall, yet years go by without any activity on any of the sites. It's driving me crazy! I grew up in the area and have always hated it, so forgive me for being a little impatient with wanting to see it properly urbanize.

How new are those renderings?

I'm extremely frustrated by the lack of action on this site. Here we are 7 long years after re-development of the site was first proposed, yet this horrific, dilapidated, 95% abandoned mall continues to rot away. It's made worse by the fact that there are now several other sites along this stretch of Dundas that have become abandoned eyesores. There seems to be an unending parade of massive development proposals along the south side basically from Subway Crescent all the way to the East Mall, yet years go by without any activity on any of the sites. It's driving me crazy! I grew up in the area and have always hated it, so forgive me for being a little impatient with wanting to see it properly urbanize.

Even when the development happens, Etobicoke gets the worst architecture outside of the Humber Bay area. There has been nothing built along Dundas in Etobicoke of significant architectural value in the past 10 years.

Even when the development happens, Etobicoke gets the worst architecture outside of the Humber Bay area. There has been nothing built along Dundas in Etobicoke of significant architectural value in the past 10 years.

Apart from a few handsome mid-century towers and a couple of quirky auto dealerships from the same era, was there ever?

I'd be willing to bet that lack of movement on an extension to the subway has something to do with this languishing. Why move on the redevelopment before an extension is in the works? They'd be able to sell product for more and sell it more quickly (like hotcakes probably) if there were to be a new station practically on the site.

What would be the impetus for the extension of the Bloor line into Mississauga (the only place it could go after a station here)? We already have one subway line about to cross the city boundary which I'm sure will prove to be a terrible allocation of resources.

the lack of any planning. And giving how long it takes to take a subway proposal to completion (even when fast-tracked) we wouldn't be looking at a completed extension until 2025.

Back