Burlington Holland Park Garden | ?m | 37s | CLV Group | Core Architects

It's definitely going to be interesting watching this progress with the NIMBY city council, and it seems to be a fairly large discussion point in the upcoming municipal election

Yea, I've seen big NIMBY fights in Burlington over mid-rises, so I can't imagine how bad it will be with this proposal.

this proposal (much to council's chagrin) is actually as of right with already in-place zoning.

I'm surprised it's taking this long to get to construction to be honest, they only had site plan approval here and they paid a huge price for the land. I guess recent economic changes are making them second-guess moving forward..

Yup. The first example there had the developer withdraw their application, the second involved a lengthy OLT appeal to eventually get approval, and the city ultimately ripped up the New St bike lanes after testing them for a year or two.

Yup. The first example there had the developer withdraw their application, the second involved a lengthy OLT appeal to eventually get approval, and the city ultimately ripped up the New St bike lanes after testing them for a year or two.
Interesting. But not necessarily accurate. The New Street bike lanes were a good idea, except no one used them. And that is the problem with many of these bike lanes in high traffic areas - lack of use. Same with transit. Blame it on the car centric residents, but that’s the way it is currently. And as the New Street bIke lanes paralleled two existing cross Burlington routes, the lack of use doomed them. Add in the fact that New Street is a major corridor for those bypassing the ever traffic choked QEW west bound and the decision was easy. Burlington and Oakville remain a recreational bikers haven but not centres of commuting by cycle. And that recreational use extends into the rural areas. The number of bikes zipping by on the weekend is accentuated by the lack of any during the week. Those riding their bikes to work or to a GO station can be measured with a 0, followed by a decimal, followed by a few more 0’s.

If you want to talk bikes lanes in Burlington, let’s look at what was done as Lakeshore is being rebuilt (nothing), or the Fairview route, which is traffic congested and increasing in density as more condos are added, along with access to the existing GO train stations. Whether the bike lane developments along Plains road will be extended east (if we think those developments are adequate) is a good question.

You can ask many of the same questions about the bike lanes through the Lakeshore in Bronte/Oakville, Speers Road (which no one uses), Rebecca , and the proposed densification in mid-town Oakville, to name a few.

I believe allowances are being made on the building Wyecroft bridge for lanes,

There are opportunities to build longer integrated networks, not just catering to the recreational user, but getting many of the users out of their Range Rovers and on to a their electric bike is the challenge.

Back