544     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 839     0 

Holdouts in Toronto

Johnny Au

Member Bio
Reaction score
Near the North York, York, & Old Toronto tripoint
Let's discuss real estate holdouts in Toronto.

27952-97017.png

The holdout is a house on the top of the image, slightly right of the centre.

The house is on Ridelle Avenue near Marlee Avenue, across the street from Sobeys. The holdout even has its own postal code!

Read here for the history of holdouts in Toronto: http://spacing.ca/toronto/2016/03/21/54472/

The Imperial Oil Building at one point had a holdout jutting through its parking lot; after the holdout's owner died, the building's owner purchased the property and demolished it.

20160318-Holdouts-Aerial.jpg

The Imperial Oil Building and the holdout

There's also the half-standing formerly semi-detached house on St. Patrick Street as well. It's now also a Pokéstop thanks to its status as a holdout.

Do you know of any holdouts in Toronto?

Last edited:
2 Queen West? (edit--sorry, I meant "West" but typed "East")

Last edited:
That is a textbook example of a holdout in Toronto and is a much better example than the Ridelle holdout across from Sobey's. The New World Laundromat should be made a landmark.
The Denny's site at Bay + Dundas:

https://goo.gl/maps/KaVSjosLQQ32

AoD
That is definitely a holdout.
2 Queen East?
2 Queen East is just façadism and thus not a holdout.

I have identified two more holdouts, both on Bloor across from the ROM: Remenyi and Gabby's

2 Queen East is just façadism and thus not a holdout.
I have identified two more holdouts, both on Bloor across from the ROM: Remenyi and Gabby's

I think 2 QW was a holdout during the Eaton Centre land assembly era. Maybe we lucked out because it probably would have been torn down during that time.

AoD

I think 2 QE was a holdout during the Eaton Centre land assembly era. Maybe we lucked out because it probably would have been torn down during that time.

AoD

There wasn't much an Eaton Centre land assembly. The Eatons had owned the land for decades. 2 QW was a holdout from the Eaton's constantly expanding main store at Yonge and Queen.

ETA: This was the Eaton's landholdings in 1920 (2 QW a notable hold-out). They kept acquiring parcels after this.
eaton.jpg

Attachments

• eaton.jpg
    eaton.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 1,225
H&M Building at 13-15 Bloor West?

Yeah. there was a deed on the 2QW land that prevented its acquisition by either Eatons originally or on behalf of the Eaton Centre later.

Oh, and don't forget that other EC holdout until its late 90s demolition: Parkin's Salvation Army HQ.

Right now, a bit by default, the ex-HMV on Yonge is *very* holdoutish.

Ah. 2QW is indeed a holdout.
H&M Building at 13-15 Bloor West?
I don't think so; the Scotiabank next door also fits with the H&M Building's character.
Maybe the New York Furs building at Peter and Adelaide.
It's adjacent to two separate lots and thus not really a holdout. It's just a converted house.

207 McCaul is a holdout; it's surrounded by parking lot.
576xN

Last edited:
This is a holdout in Oakville, specifically Bronte that has been unfolding for years. The owner of the Hero Burger building has refused to sell, while various owners of Bronte Village Mall have attempted redevelopment plans. The owner of the Hero Burger building has gone so far to build a chainlink fence to separate their shared parking lot. The latest plans, designed by Quadrangle, involve a 14 story condo being built all around the building.

Here is the Site Plan information link from the town of Oakville. http://www.oakville.ca/business/sp-24142.html

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 11.00.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 11.00.23 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 510
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 11.01.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 11.01.06 AM.png
    787.5 KB · Views: 494
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 11.03.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 11.03.42 AM.png
    509.7 KB · Views: 509

Back