2K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 3.8K     4 

Historic retail strips in Ontario

E

Ed007Toronto

"The GTA has some nice ones too. The ones I've seen are Unionville, Aurora, Newmarket, and Kleinburg. Richmond Hill is particularly nice"

I find the Richmond Hill one pretty dumpy. A mish mash of styles, some small strip malls, empty lots etc. And the retail that's there is also pretty bad. Rundown variety stores and restaurants, x-rated video stores and the like. Could easily fit in with some of Toronto's more rundown sections.

Yep, all in York Region. I don't think Chuck sees much of the GTA except York Region and perhaps a little bit of Toronto. :b

I agree that RH is a bit of a dump. I really like Streetsville. It really maintains the very-small-town feel to it. Other GTA faves are Oakville and Unionville. Brampton's has some good buildings, mixed in with some dumps.

Check out this document on historic storefronts: Conservation and Maintenance of Storefronts

store1.gif

store2.gif

store7.gif

Also, please post some images of your favourite historic retail strips in Ontario. Here are a few:

London
IMG_0359.JPG.jpg

Perth
maple-fest-2002.jpg

Toronto
queenWest_3.jpg

k2.jpg

chinatowntoronto.jpg

Niagara-On-The-Lake
01.jpg

03.jpg

Ottawa
PIC00075.JPG

North Bay
17.jpg

St. Marys
Image14c_300x182hs.jpg

Aside from Toronto's Queen Street West, King Street East, and Front Street East, my favorite has got to be, of all places, Dundas ON - it still has a number of cast iron facades, quite heavily detailed. Sorry, no pics.

Its nice that that diagram informed us all what windows are...

Its nice that that diagram informed us all what windows are...

Yes...without those labels I don't think I would've ever figured out where the bottom and top of the building is.

Kingston is really good, as is Belleville, Port Hope and Cobourg (which is one of the first sketches, actually), as they are fairly vibrant, well-kept and historic. Stratford is amazing as well.

Cobourg photos

I really liked the London retail strips - a very pleasant surprise while walking out of the bus station.

I'll post some photos of Stratford, Goderich, Coburg & Port Hope tonight.

I'll throw in Quebec City and Montreal as well, even it's not Ontario.

I looked for pics of Guelph, Stratford and Cambridge but couldn't find any good ones.

The entire town of Perth is absolutely gorgeous, hard to believe it's only 20km from Ontario's armpit of Smiths Falls!!!:eek:

The GTA has some nice ones too. The ones I've seen are Unionville, Aurora, Newmarket, and Kleinburg. Richmond Hill is particularly nice. A consultant is currently working on a plan to restore Thornhill's mainstreet with a wall of 4 floor mixed use buildings on Yonge St to be integrated with the transitway.

Back