News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 590     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 886     0 

Historic Films of Toronto Streetcars (1940s color film)

mdrejhon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Happy New Year!

I have accidentally dug up a rare treat for Toronto transit enthusiasts:
Original 1943 full color film of Peter Witt streetcars in original service!

That's pre-PCC!
This is what a Torontoian rode in Toronto during the Roaring '20s.
In living color, not merely black and white.
Including interiors, while in motion, from passenger's view!

Direct jumps to specific location in film:

YouTube 1:16 -- Streetcar Two-Vehicle Consist, at Hudson Bay Company

YouTube 0:26 -- Streetcar Two-Vehicle Consist, on Front at Toronto Union Station

YouTube 3:15 -- Streetcar Interior, Facing Rear

YouTube 3:26 -- Streetcar Interior, Facing Front

Or alternatively, for the whole film (not just the streetcars), from start to end:

Last edited:
If you find any old historic footage of Toronto Streetcars in motion, please post them in this thread!

Use [MEDIA] to embed playable videos.

Fantastic find! Something about the footage makes me think it's being played back at a slightly slower rate (like, recorded at 30fps, played back at 24fps.) It could be that people are just a lot more relaxed walking around back then. :)

Your next task is to find some testing footage from the Millhaven UTDC facility of the ICTS development program! :D

That's a unicorn, I think, but I will keep an eye out.

Meanwhile... Some commentary:

The luxurious Peter Witt streetcars, with leather seats and coal heaters, which were common before electric heating became common

They are actually brighter inside than pictured, but the slowness of consumer color film in the 40s, makes them look super dark, but you can still make out the tell-tale luxurious seats in the view facing towards the rear.

The Peter Witts and PCC streetcars had thick seats, much more comfortable. Unfortunately, they were also a fire hazard, hence the thin seats we have today. Still better than the slippery hard seats some other places have.

Back