News   Apr 24, 2024
 155     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 418     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 451     0 

High Park Lofts on Roncesvalles (Stinson, 7s, Stanford Downey)

M

mark simpson

corner
buildings014.jpg

roncesvalles
buildings015.jpg

rear
buildings013.jpg

south side
buildings012.jpg

Thanks for the pic mark simpson.

The colour of the precast is unfortunate, but the massing looks just fine. Nice emphasis through the corner element as well. Red brick would have looked so much better.

spm:

Yes.

AoD

Thanks Mark for the photos. I don't get out to that part of town very often.

roncesvalles lofts

It actually looks quite sharp, nice street-wall ... but somewhat out of place/over-powering for Roncesvalles.

Re: roncesvalles lofts

I am currently working in the area and pass this by every day... as Alvin already noted, red brick would have been much more attractive than the beige precast they chose to install instead. Would it have cost significantly more? The massing is indeed better than a point tower for this particular site. Although an overall improvement to the Roncesvalles community, I feel this project could have been better executed if higher-quality materials were used.

red brick would have been much more attractive

Agreed. Yes, it would drive up the cost.

Nice building for the area.

Would it have cost significantly more?

Man hours yes.

Thanks for taking the pictures as it saves me a trip. I rode my bike out there two weekends ago to High Park when I noticed it for the first time. It really is an attractive looking project and looks even better in person. That area has a nice street layout and will soon be a new trendy hub.

That's not a bad building at all...though I don't care for the colour of the precast. I agree brick would've been much nicer.

They displaced a KFC for this joint, so KFC moved up the street in some pokey storefront across from the Loblaws/Zellers...and it flopped and closed soon after.

My suggestion: reinstate KFC here, for old time's (and old smell's) sake...

I think this looks quite attractive. And, yes, brick is always a better choice than precast.

Displaced a KFC for this? I believe the KFC building owners happily sold to them - KFCs are folding all over. (Although you wouldn't know if from the name of the chain, apparently people can remember that the chicken they sell is fried, and the fried stuff just isn't all that attractive anymore.)

The building looks good imo, but I agree about the precast. Isn't their a cheap red brick facing available?

I can honestly say I've only had KFC once in my life.. that was enough.

Used to love that stuff as a kid. Now, I find it's pretty bad - the chicken isn't very good, the batter the only thing people liked.

Is it thanks to PETA too? Heh.

I agree, I switched to Popeye's a long time ago.

Back