News   Mar 28, 2024
 240     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 282     0 

Help ID these 1960s-70s photos of Corktown/Trefann/Moss Park

UserNameToronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
These are in the newly scanned (and poorly noted) Harold Stacey section at the Toronto Archives online.

File consists of 20 photographs documenting redevelopment in downtown Toronto, focusing on the demolition of 19th century structures, mostly residences, as part of that process. These photographs include a set of images, date-stamped 1967, documenting Trefann, Sumach and Cornwall streets, and another set, also date-stamped 1967, documenting Cherry and Villiers streets.

s0008_ss0004_fl0005_id0008.jpg

s0008_ss0004_fl0005_id0018.jpg

s0008_ss0004_fl0005_id0017.jpg

Location: Sumach at Wascana looking N (note 14 Blevins Pl. in Regent Park)

s0008_ss0004_fl0005_id0019.jpg

s0008_ss0004_fl0005_id0016.jpg

s0008_ss0004_fl0005_id0007.jpg

Location: Not sure, but a tri-armed Moss Park tower is in the background. This could be south, north, or east of the Moss Park apartments.

s0008_ss0004_fl0005_id0001.jpg

Location: I get the feeling this is still around. The view seems to be to the south. Queen & River, looking S down River?

Last edited:

Location: I get the feeling this is still around. The view seems to be to the south. Queen & River, looking S down River?

Don't think so - the large window on the farthest building doesn't match the old BNS on the SW corner. Could it be King & Sherbourne?

These are in the newly scanned (and poorly noted) Harold Stacey section at the Toronto Archives online.
I wish there was a way we could identify the unnamed and misidentified photos for them.

You said: Location: I get the feeling this is still around. The view seems to be to the south. Queen & River, looking S down River?

I just went there and it's not River Street at Queen (I too thought it was). It MIGHT be Parliament at Queen if the white building is now the Marty Millionaire furniture warehouse - the two buildings in foreground are gone if that's the case.

You said: Location: I get the feeling this is still around. The view seems to be to the south. Queen & River, looking S down River?

I just went there and it's not River Street at Queen (I too thought it was). It MIGHT be Parliament at Queen if the white building is now the Marty Millionaire furniture warehouse - the two buildings in foreground are gone if that's the case.

I thought you had it, but this photo suggests otherwise. Marty Millionaire's building on the SW corner is shown, but the NW corner is much different:
s0372_ss0100_it0375.jpg

I think we need to pay attention to the background on the left hand side of the original photo. Could it even be the waterfront?

Last edited:
UserNameToronto said:
I think we need to pay attention to the background on the left hand side of the original photo. Could it even be the waterfront?

N/W corner of King & George?

N/W corner of King & George?

I think you nailed it. The old warehouse in the foreground is gone, but the white marble building is now part of King George Square mixed use retail/condo building, and the light mint building now houses a Starbucks. The view to the south is sparse because of the construction hoarding around St Lawrence, which would have been in progress at the time.

Original:

NW corner of King & George:
168-King-St-E-3.jpg

SW corner:
DSCN1147.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still not convinced - if you look further south than the 'bank" (and I agree it probably is a bank; they have quite a standardised architecture) there seem to be three - maybe only two - construction barricades blocking the street. King Street is wider than that (5 or 6 barricades I would say) so that street looks to me to be far narrower than King and I am not sure if there are any streetcar wires. In addition, the hill seems far steeper than George Street.

No - I have to agree that it is King & George

SW corner - 185 King St E, Thomas Thompson building per TO Built (http://www.tobuilt.ca). Detailing over 3rd floor windows and corner quoining matches building in old picture.
ThomasThompsonBldg.jpg

Northwest corner - now part of King George Place
image01.jpg

I'm kinda regretting they took down that industrial-looking brick thing on George (was it for King George Place, or much earlier?).

Those Berkeley houses are a good illustration of why a common label for those gentrifying pioneers was "whitepainters" (also cf. the oeuvre of Joan Burt)

Back