377     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

Height Restrictions in Toronto

WeirdFishes

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am not sure this is the right area to post this question but here it goes!

1A. Question - Height Restrictions
I am wondering if anyone knows the exact process for requesting information on height restrictions for Toronto. I am interested in finding out restrictions for the portion of Front St. E. across from Berczy park. Do I just go to New City Hall? Is this information public and who in City Hall do I speak with?

1B. Question - Process for changing a restriction
What is the process for changing a height restriction? I am just curious how set in stone the city restrictions are and if a condo developer has any pull to change current restrictions. Who sets the restrictions?

Thanks so much!

Hi there,

I am not sure this is the right area to post this question but here it goes!

1A. Question - Height Restrictions
I am wondering if anyone knows the exact process for requesting information on height restrictions for Toronto. I am interested in finding out restrictions for the portion of Front St. E. across from Berczy park. Do I just go to New City Hall? Is this information public and who in City Hall do I speak with?

1B. Question - Process for changing a restriction
What is the process for changing a height restriction? I am just curious how set in stone the city restrictions are and if a condo developer has any pull to change current restrictions. Who sets the restrictions?

Thanks so much!

1A: Height is controlled in Toronto by the Zoning By-law and is illustrated by Height Maps. The new consolidated By-law was recently repealed by Council and the old By-law (438-86) is now the governing legislation but is no longer on-line. You can go to City Hall to find this information or simply call the Planning Dept.

1B: If the change in height is deemed minor, a change can be obtained by applying to the Committee of Adjustment for a minor variance to the height limit. If it is not deemed minor, the City will insist you go through a rezoning. I would recommend sitting down with the area planner within the Planning Dept. to discuss the application for direction. Yes, height limits are "set in stone" when applying for a building permit, which is why you will need a variance or a rezoning for any increase.

See: http://www.toronto.ca/zoning/

1A: Height is controlled in Toronto by the Zoning By-law and is illustrated by Height Maps. The new consolidated By-law was recently repealed by Council and the old By-law (438-86) is now the governing legislation but is no longer on-line. You can go to City Hall to find this information or simply call the Planning Dept.

1B: If the change in height is deemed minor, a change can be obtained by applying to the Committee of Adjustment for a minor variance to the height limit. If it is not deemed minor, the City will insist you go through a rezoning. I would recommend sitting down with the area planner within the Planning Dept. to discuss the application for direction. Yes, height limits are "set in stone" when applying for a building permit, which is why you will need a variance or a rezoning for any increase.

See: http://www.toronto.ca/zoning/

Thank you so much! Very helpful.

You're welcome! Here's the Height Map for the area you were mentioning:

heightmap.jpg

Super map! It's too bad they did not include the block I am interested in, Scott-Church & Front-Esplanade. I am trying to figure out if the land on the St. Lawrence Art's Centre would even be attractive for a developer if the city decides to sell.

I called the planning department and gave them the address (27 Front St. E.) and they told me the height restriction is 23 meters. I also asked for 61 Front St. E. (the Berczy) and was told 23 Meters as well. But not sure this makes sense since the Berczy is 13 stories and clearly over the 23 meter restriction. Perhaps because the height difference is stepped back from front and that address covers one off Church St.?

If so I wonder if the same could apply further down on Scott St. and a condo developer could but up a monster set back from front at Scott and Front St. E.

Super map! It's too bad they did not include the block I am interested in, Scott-Church & Front-Esplanade. I am trying to figure out if the land on the St. Lawrence Art's Centre would even be attractive for a developer if the city decides to sell.

I called the planning department and gave them the address (27 Front St. E.) and they told me the height restriction is 23 meters. I also asked for 61 Front St. E. (the Berczy) and was told 23 Meters as well. But not sure this makes sense since the Berczy is 13 stories and clearly over the 23 meter restriction. Perhaps because the height difference is stepped back from front and that address covers one off Church St.?

If so I wonder if the same could apply further down on Scott St. and a condo developer could but up a monster set back from front at Scott and Front St. E.

The block you mention is on the map. I believe that The Berczy was a rezoning.

Looking at a map thats not set in stone is useless..the 200 meter L-Tower is being built in a zone marked 46 meters.
Also the 200 meter 40 Scott tower wouldnt stand a chance to be built if your going with that map..time to scrap the map.

Looking at a map thats not set in stone is useless..the 200 meter L-Tower is being built in a zone marked 46 meters.
Also the 200 meter 40 Scott tower wouldnt stand a chance to be built if your going with that map..time to scrap the map.

The map shows the allowed heights without any zoning by-law changes. This particular map deal with what is "allowed" not what is actually there thanks to a zoning and/or by-law amendment. (Which normally involves some money for neighbourhood improvements changing hands under a Section 37 or Section 45 Agreement.)

I just got this e-mail today:

Dear Sir/Madame:

Further to your request for notification of further meetings and related activities with regard to the Downtown Tall Buildings Project, the Project co-ordinators would like to notify you and/or your organization that the Downtown Tall Buildings Report and Downtown Tall Buildings Vision and Performance Standards Guidelines (Attachments 1 through 7 of the Report) have been posted on the City of Toronto website.

The Report is scheduled to be before Toronto and East York Community Council on February 14, 2012, at noon, in Committee Room 1, City Hall.

The following links have been provided for your convenience:

Agenda: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/decisio...on=doPrepare&meetingId=5594#Meeting-2012.TE13

February 27, 2012 Report from the Director, Community Planning, Toronto and East York District and the Director, Urban Design - Downtown Tall Buildings Project - Consultant's Study, Public Consultation and Implementation: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2012/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-44938.pdf

Attachments to the Report - Downtown Tall Buildings Project - Consultant's Study, Public Consultation and Implementation: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2012/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-44939.pdf

Making a deputation:

Secretariat Contact: Ros Dyers
2nd Floor, West Tower, City Hall
100 Queen St. W.
Toronto, ON M5H 2N2

email: teycc@toronto.ca
phone: 416-392-7033
fax: 416-397-0111

Notice to people writing or making presentations to the Toronto and East York Community Council:

The City of Toronto Act, 2006 and the City of Toronto Municipal Code authorize the City of Toronto to collect any personal information in your communication or presentation to City Council or its committees. The City collects this information to enable it to make informed decisions on the relevant issue(s). If you are submitting letters, faxes, e-mails, presentations or other communications to the City, you should be aware that your name and the fact that you communicated with the City will become part of the public record and will appear on the City's website. The City will also make your communication and any personal information in it - such as your postal address, telephone number or e-mail address - available to the public, unless you expressly request the City to remove it. The City makes a video record of committee and community council meetings. If you make a presentation to a committee or community council, the City will be video-recording you and City staff may make the video record available to the public.

Further Questions with regard to this Report: Contact us at tallbuildings@toronto.ca

Report Summary

The purpose of this report is to inform City Council of the "Tall Buildings, Inviting Change in Downtown Toronto" Consultant's Study, including public consultation outcomes, and to seek City Council adoption of a set of Vision, Height and Typology Criteria and Performance Standards to guide Downtown Tall Buildings development. The report also identifies further implementation options for the vision statement and performance standards.

City Planning Division commissioned Urban Strategies Incorporated to complete a study within Downtown Toronto that identifies where tall buildings should be located, how high they should be and how they should behave towards each other and the public streets and spaces around them.

The "Tall Buildings, Inviting Change in Downtown Toronto" Consultant's Study follows previously completed planning studies which looked at the behaviour of tall buildings, but not their appropriate location, building upon pre-existing citywide tall building design guidelines known as the "Design Criteria for Review of Tall Building Proposals". In addition to addressing the issue of appropriate site location for Downtown tall buildings, the Consultant's Study also provides performance standards to be applied in the assessment and approval of Downtown tall building development. These performance standards relate to the design, spacing, placement and orientation of tall buildings. They have been derived from a detailed on-the-ground assessment of local conditions within Downtown Toronto, through selective testing of chosen sites and through an assessment of best practices relating to tall building development in cities from across North America.

The Consultant's Study area is bounded by Bathurst Street on the west, the rail corridor north of Dupont Street on the north, the Don Valley Parkway on the east and the Toronto Harbour on the south. Secondary Planning Areas falling within this Study area boundary do not form part of the Consultant's Study recommendations.

The Consultant's Study recommendations with regard to Downtown tall building locations, heights, typologies and performance standards have been revised by staff following public consultation and further staff assessment, as detailed in the report. It is City Planning staff's intention to consolidate the citywide tall building design guidelines with the Downtown tall building design guidelines into one comprehensive document which is able to accommodate locational criteria and performance standards relating to unique challenges faced by tall building development in the Downtown, in the Second Quarter of 2012.

If this passes, say goodbye to new 200+ meter towers in Toronto. Why build skyscrapers like New York or Chicago when we can have height restrictions like Edmonton?

Ramako:

That's hyperbole - the report clearly stated locations where 200+ towers are acceptable.

AoD

Yes, they are acceptable but only in the CBD, an area that is already almost completely built out. After INDX, 100 Adelaide and 88 Scott are built, where else in the CBD will there be a site available for a major tower? Our CBD is already incredibly densely packed.

Given that the only area in which 200+ metre tall towers are permissible is already fully built out, I don't think it's at all hyperbolic to point out that this would effectively end the construction of 200+ metre towers in this city. There would be no L Tower, no Four Seasons, no Aura, no One Bloor, no Ritz Carlton, no Massey Tower, etc.

It's simply ridiculous.

Last edited:
Since when did height limits stop proposals from being approved? Just saying.

AoD

They were approved because there was a recognition that the existing height limits were outdated. If these height limits are passed, they're obviously going to be adhered to more stringently given that they were created with the intent of being applicable to the current environment.

Anyway, aren't these guidelines intended to be strict?

Back