Mississauga Heartland Town Centre Redevelopment | ?m | 15s | Orlando | Core Architects

Tuscani01

Member Bio
Reaction score
Didn't see a thread for this here, but there was talk about it in the retail forum a few weeks ago.
Orlando is looking to convert some of its land at Heartland to mixed use, to accommodate new residential buildings up to 15 storeys, and some new park space that will run through the proposed site. This is for the southern most portion of Heartland which currently houses Winners, Petsmart, The Brick, an LCBO, Party City and a few other retailers.

Images from the Peel Regional Council meeting held on April 28th (Link to more materials below)

image003.png

image002.png

image001.png

Definitely seems like Heartland is struggling a bit. I'm a bit surprised by the lack of ambition from a density perspective. Most developers seem to be swinging for the fences when it comes to mall redevelopments.

It's early but I love the idea of parks that arent subdivided by idiotic mini-streets, rendering each plot effectively useless. That alone is a big plus.

Definitely seems like Heartland is struggling a bit. I'm a bit surprised by the lack of ambition from a density perspective. Most developers seem to be swinging for the fences when it comes to mall redevelopments.
I think this is the type of “middle” density that is lacking in the GTA. If you look at big cities in Europe you see 4-8 storey buildings with retail/businesses on the lower floors everywhere and that is how you can achieve densification without erecting 30+ towers everywhere.

I'm not necessarily opposed, just this is a bit out of step with other mall redevelopments in other area of the city. Might be covered by the Pearson flightpath which might limit heights somewhat but not this much.

I'm not necessarily opposed, just this is a bit out of step with other mall redevelopments in other area of the city. Might be covered by the Pearson flightpath which might limit heights somewhat but not this much.
I think In general Mississauga is trying to approve its major density at MCC. If you even go south to cooksville go station despite the go train and the dundas brt development is limited to 30 floors. That sounds like a lot but there’s a number of 70 floors coming to square one. Then if you head south some more to port credit it really drops off even more so.

Might be nice to activate the interior frontages and facing the park with cafe/restaurants (replacing some of the restaurants that are currently there) rather than facing the traffic sewer (Mavis). Facing south toward the park would be nice.

Would also be nice to know if there is a master plan here to redevelop much of the power centre. It seems a bit light on planning rationale.

Back