News   Apr 23, 2024
 328     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 924     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 499     0 

Head of Slips (Waterfront Toronto, West 8/DTAH)

That was also my impression based on what I'd read sometime way back. I thought all funding was in place for the various stages of the waterfront projects.

I noticed that the wood on these new bridges is wearing quite quickly, much like my ikea patio table after a single winter. Can they apply something to the surface to ensure that they last a few more seasons before replacement?

I noticed that the wood on these new bridges is wearing quite quickly,
Do you mean the finish is getting weathered (which is natural) or that the wood is wearing down, splitting, rotting? If the former, which is what I suspect, it's natural and the wood should last 20+ years. I guess they may put new stain onto the decks every year or so.

I've sifted through the 2011 capital budget and there seems to be no money for further wave decks or the bridges in 2011. It's possible that they're funded through Waterfront Toronto in a lump sum payment that WT then divvies up for different projects. I've found no funding for WT at all through the capital budget and that can't be right --- or maybe it's going to be as bad under Ford as we predicted... Can anybody chime in on this?

I've sifted through the 2011 capital budget and there seems to be no money for further wave decks or the bridges in 2011. It's possible that they're funded through Waterfront Toronto in a lump sum payment that WT then divvies up for different projects. I've found no funding for WT at all through the capital budget and that can't be right --- or maybe it's going to be as bad under Ford as we predicted... Can anybody chime in on this?

meh ... so it'll have to wait 5+ years - it's not a huge deal in my books. That is if we're referring too the slips / bridge ... I really do consider them the lowest priority.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the wavedecks, I disagree: they're one of the most important components of this entire plan. They 3 already built created wide pedestrian zones that have made enjoyment of the waterfront possible. The bridges are less important, though necessary to reach the vision of an uninterrupted waterfront path.

I believe that these projects won't be funded in the "Capital budget" but instead be a part of ongoing funding of Waterfront Toronto which itself then allocates to its own capital budget. We'll see WT's update soon enough.

As for the wavedecks, I disagree: they're one of the most important components of this entire plan. They 3 already built created wide pedestrian zones that have made enjoyment of the waterfront possible. The bridges are less important, though necessary to reach the vision of an uninterrupted waterfront path.

I believe that these projects won't be funded in the "Capital budget" but instead be a part of ongoing funding of Waterfront Toronto which itself then allocates to its own capital budget. We'll see WT's update soon enough.

Regarding the bridges ... don't get met wrong, I'd love to see them - but I'd much rather cut them for now as opposed to any of the other projects.

I don't think the city funds the wavedecks directly - as to QQ, we'll just have to wait and see - so far the other QQ projects are on budget. The bridges are held up by jurisdictional wrangling I think, plus the neighbourhood residents.

AoD

The WaveDecks are awesome and I was very much looking forward to the construction of the bridges. I was saddened that they were delayed.

Parliament has to be one of the most important wavedecks as it functions as part of the storm water cleaning system of EBF.. It can't be cut! well at least I hope not..

Back