News   Mar 28, 2024
 31     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 209     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Head of Slips (Waterfront Toronto, West 8/DTAH)

So is this going to just be a general waterfront development discussion?

Well, no, it's not, but the occasional short digression is reasonable. These Head-of-Slips that will appear in so many spots along Queens Quay are going to make such a change to the area that its not hard to see that discussion about how the general feeling of the area will change does fit in here. In regards to specific new developments though, no, they will get their own threads naturally.

Tewder, you've seen the waterfront masterplan, right? I mean how the eastbound lane of QQ is being converted into a tree-lined pedestrian pathway next to the streetcar ROW? The revitalization is more than just head of silps and HTO.

No, you're absolutely right Grey. These are definitely improvements, and all these improvements are welcomed, but hadn't the bar really been set just about as low as you could possibly go? Even basic pavers and sidewalks would have seemed like an improvement. My major beef is with the central waterfront, and I still can't help but feel that a grand centrepiece gesture was missed somewhere.

Well I don't know how grand the gesture will be but... Canada Square isn't dead yet (no nails in the coffin)... I have spies reporting back to me this week and since the arguments are on-going... I'm going to try to "insinuate" a Cathedral Square approach rather than another windswept "clever" park that is animated precisely 3 months a year.

The footprint is big enough and Harbourfront is the $beneficiary$ so it may be possible to add some medium rise mixed use (retail plus live/work lofts) to provide that "piazza" insulating factor.

Worth a try... the neighbourhood needs a "there... there" as a wise forumer use to say.

Originally Posted by khristopher View Post
So is this going to just be a general waterfront development discussion?

BTW, it's type of crap ^ that I'm trying to avoid with my Ignore List, but the ignore posts still show up when quoted... so ... I wasn't able to ignore.

Looking forward to an enhanced, new and improved "ignore" option.

Well, no, it's not, but the occasional short digression is reasonable. These Head-of-Slips that will appear in so many spots along Queens Quay are going to make such a change to the area that its not hard to see that discussion about how the general feeling of the area will change does fit in here. In regards to specific new developments though, no, they will get their own threads naturally.

Alright thanks for the answer.

At the last Waterfront Toronto board meeting there was a motion to approve funding for the East bayfront waters edge features including the Parliament wave deck. The render below was taken from this larger document showing the
whole $180M package.

ParliamentWave.jpg

At the last Waterfront Toronto board meeting there was a motion to approve funding for the East bayfront waters edge features including the Parliament wave deck. The render below was taken from this larger document showing the
whole $180M package.

ParliamentWave.jpg

Thanks for providing. Is this part of Sugar Park or whatever it is?

No, Sugar beach is (roughly) at the foot of Jarvis. This is at the foot of Parliament at the eastern end of Queens Quay.

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!

this is terrific, i live off of parliament so this deck will be very special to me.

Wow, was this even in the original Parliament Slip render. Looks amazing. I don't think a bridge is needed though. The slip seems to jet out pretty far.

+ my first post yay!!

Regarding bridges, the Waterfront Toronto 2008 Annual Report states, in part:
"Waterfront Toronto is transforming Toronto’s central waterfront by creating a bold new look and unified design for the 3.5 km area running from Bathurst Street to Parliament Street..." "...the design for the central waterfront features a continuous water’s edge public promenade and boardwalk connected by a series of pedestrian bridges, new public gathering spaces at the foot of major waterfront streets..."

That stated, the 2007 West 8 + DTAH proposal shows two slips with no bridges but the plan does include a bridge at the Parliament Street slip.

slip_bridges2.jpg

Last edited:

Back