Harmony Airways shuts down

W

wyliepoon

Star

Link to article

Harmony Airways shuts down

Mar 27, 2007 06:23 PM
Canadian Press

VANCOUVER – Faced with empty seats and soaring costs, tiny Harmony Airways is headed for a forced landing early next month.

The privately owned boutique carrier announced today it is ending its scheduled flights to Toronto on Friday and all other scheduled flights by April 9.

Peter Buecking, a member of Harmony's advisory team, said the airline was not bankrupt and is restructuring as a going concern.

The four-plane, Vancouver-based carrier served popular U.S. holiday destinations such as Maui, Las Vegas and Palm Springs, Calif., and San Francisco.

But its expansion ambitions, including plans to fly into China, stumbled and billionaire Vancouver businessman David Ho, who founded Harmony in 2002, was unwilling to keep funding the operation.

Neither Ho nor acting president Kirk Henderson, who replaced previous CEO Gary Collins in December, were at a news conference announcing the shutdown.

It was left to Buecking, an airline industry veteran who joined the company three weeks ago, to explain that Harmony would maintain full service until the last flight and issue full refunds for any bookings past its shutdown dates.

Most of the airline's 350 employees, who are non-union, will be laid off but given generous severance packages and strong recommendation letters, he said.

Rumblings at Harmony surfaced last week when it confirmed it was not renewing the lease on one of its Boeing 757 jets.

In an era of no-frills carriers such as Westjet (TSX: WJA) and a restructured Air Canada (TSX: ACE.B), Harmony prided itself on offering passengers full-service flights.

Buecking said it became clear Harmony's business model could not be economically scaled up to an efficient size.

"It was a case of a full-service airline in a marketplace where it's difficult to price at a premium when you don't have the scale," he said. "It's possible to provide full service but you really need a big network, in my view."

Harmony also needed to attract a lot of profitable business travellers but did not fly to popular business destinations or offer frequent-flyer perks, he added.

Harmony had a clientele of about 10,000, said former general manager Brent Statton, who retired two weeks ago.

Its load factors ranged from more than 80 per cent on its popular holiday flights to 20 per cent on the Toronto run. Meanwhile, costs continued to rise, including a doubling of fuel prices since the airline was launched in November 2002, said Buecking.

WestJet vice-president Bob Cummings called Harmony's situation ``sobering" and expressed sympathy for its employees.

It also announced it was extending seat sales to Honolulu, Maui and Las Vegas, Harmony destinations, and increasing its Vancouver-to-Vegas service.

Meanwhile, Air Canada CEO Monte Brewer touted its new, fuel-efficient Boeing 777 to shareholders at its annual meeting in Montreal, saying the long-range jet would allow it to expand its international service.

Harmony joins the list of defunct Canadian airlines, including Jetsgo, Canada 3000 and CanJet, which rose from Canada 3000's ashes but stopped scheduled service last fall and is restructuring as a charter carrier.

Airline industry analyst Warren Gill of Simon Fraser University said this announcement underscores the brutal nature of airline competition.

"Airlines are not generally profitable," he said. "You've seen the bloodthirsty competition of the truck carriers for the last 15 or 20 years."

The delay in Canada receiving approved-destination status from the Chinese government also cramped its plan for a partnership with a Chinese carrier to serve Beijing and Shanghai.

"It's an important reason," said Buecking. "I can't say it's the major reason."

Collins, former B.C. finance minister and onetime flying instructor, joined Harmony in December 2004 to oversee the airline's expansion. He quit last December to pursue other opportunities and later joined a private investment firm.

Analysts considered Harmony's plans risky at the outset and Buecking seemed to confirm that.

"This was a niche airline that if the operating costs in the environment were lower and there wasn't as much capacity put in by the competitors, it's possible it could have grown, particularly if it could have exercised its right to China . . . "

Buecking said Harmony will hang on to two of its planes while it considers various options, including resurfacing as a charter carrier or a provider of aircraft – crewed or uncrewed – to other airlines.

He declined to discuss specifics, saying Harmony wants to spent the next two weeks focusing on serving its remaining customers.

Buecking also declined to discuss Harmony's financial situation because it is a private company. He did say it dismissed the idea of seeking court protection from its creditors, mainly because Ho himself is the main creditor.

An heir to the Hong Kong Tobacco Co. fortune, Ho also owns a Vancouver luxury car dealership and a golf course.

He launched Harmony in 2002 as My Airways, named in honour of his mother, then changed it to HMY and finally Harmony.

This is a little bit of a disappointment. I figured I'd be using them if I ended up going to Vancouver for school in the fall. Their lower prices (compared to AirCanada at least) made them attractive. Too bad to see AC continue its market dominance.

In an era of no-frills carriers such as Westjet (TSX: WJA) and a restructured Air Canada (TSX: ACE.B), Harmony prided itself on offering passengers full-service flights.

Buecking said it became clear Harmony's business model could not be economically scaled up to an efficient size.

"It was a case of a full-service airline in a marketplace where it's difficult to price at a premium when you don't have the scale," he said. "It's possible to provide full service but you really need a big network, in my view."

Porter should be taking note.

It doesn't bode well for Porter. Which I consider a good thing.

I used Harmony before...used to be called HMY...and it was not bad.

I have three future flights booked with Porter... they better stick around for a while!

From the Star's Business Section.

Porter's CEO sees blue skies

Deluce says airline `cash-flow positive' after five months

Mar 29, 2007 04:30 AM
Chris Sorensen
Business Reporter

The founder of Porter Airlines is dismissing speculation the upstart regional carrier is doomed to follow in the footsteps of the former Jetsgo, CanJet and now Harmony Airways, saying the fledgling airline is quickly gaining financial altitude.

While Porter isn't required to reveal its financial health as a privately held company, CEO Robert Deluce suggested to a Bay Street audience yesterday that his airline, based at the Toronto Island airport, is already enjoying a positive cash flow barely five months after taking to the skies.

"For a little less than 60 days now, we've been cash-flow positive," Deluce said yesterday at a transportation and logistics conference hosted by National Bank Financial.

"We think we are well on our way to long-term ... sustainable profitability."

Porter launched in late October from the Toronto City Centre Airport and currently offers several daily flights to Ottawa and Montreal – busy routes dominated by Air Canada.

Deluce's comments come a day after Harmony Airways, launched in 2002 by Vancouver billionaire David Ho, said it was pulling out of the scheduled airline business because of rising costs and fierce competition from Air Canada and WestJet Airlines Ltd.

Harmony, which will cease flights to Toronto tomorrow and all others April 9 and says it may continue as a charter business, attempted to offer a "premium" service – including meals designed by Vancouver celebrity chef Rob Feenie and free glasses of B.C. wine – at a time when most other airlines were cutting costs.

Observers noted that Porter, whose motto is "flying refined," is chasing after a similar market segment as it attempts to woo mostly business flyers away from Air Canada.

Case in point: Deluce yesterday offered conference attendees in Toronto a free round-trip flight on Porter.

"It's a tough market to make money in," said Karl Moore, a business professor at McGill University, who noted media reports and anecdotal evidence that Porter's flights are seldom full. "And what do they mean by cash-positive? That doesn't necessarily mean they're profitable."

Moore said it will be some time before Porter is out of the financial woods. "I think it will take them a year or two."

Nevertheless, Porter does have a few advantages over most airline start-ups – not the least of which is $125 million in equity backing.

Also, Porter's Q400 turboprops are cheaper and more fuel-efficient to operate than most of the planes flown by its competitors, meaning the airline needs fewer passengers to break even or make money.

More importantly, Porter has managed to get off the ground at the island airport without any direct competition from Air Canada's regional carrier Jazz, which flies only out of suburban Pearson airport after it was kicked out of its terminal at the airport last year by one of Deluce's companies.

Jazz tried to relaunch flights from the island, arguing unsuccessfully in federal court that the airport's operator, the Toronto Port Authority, has taken steps to ensure Porter has a "virtual monopoly" by guaranteeing the airline a majority of the available takeoff and landing slots.

Now Porter is facing more challenges from Air Canada, as well as from U.S. airlines and their industry associations, over its application to begin flights to New York next month.

Deluce, meanwhile, says he is confident the U.S. Department of Transportation will grant Porter's application to fly to Newark Liberty International Airport. He has accused Air Canada of "bullying tactics" and taking its legal battle against Porter south of the border.

"They have been very proactive litigiously," he said yesterday.

----

Newark, eh? I am surprised they announced Halifax first.

Jazz tried to relaunch flights from the island, arguing unsuccessfully in federal court that the airport's operator, the Toronto Port Authority, has taken steps to ensure Porter has a "virtual monopoly".quote]
Air Canada complaining about airline monopolies in Canada- I never thought I'd see t

Back