News   Jul 25, 2024
 684     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 643     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 493     0 

HAPPY 175th BIRTHDAY, TORONTO!

Compared to all the fuss in the summer of 1984, when we had a big cultural festival for the 150th, the celebrations this time are quite meagre. Still, Luminato is coming up in June.

Happy 175th, Toronto.

Looking around Toronto lately, it seems to be maturing into something really excellent.

Over the past ten years, we've had a renovated main concert hall, an opera house built, two museums/galleries re-done, a ballet school expanded, a ceramics museum revitalized, and a vastly refurbushed conservatory facility... plus myriads of wonderful Clewes buildings. And work is actually being done on the waterfront. Heavens, there is even a new square, think what you will of it. The town just ain't the same as it was in 1999 at all. Something told me this would be our decade. And I thank the providers of these facilities for the delicious controversies that have come with the changes. Without controversy, we wouldn't be a great city.

This town's got content!!!! Celebrate it in the best way you can ... the dull old days are gone.

Last edited:
WNED special- Toronto 175

Did anyone else see the WNED special "Toronto 175"? It was a two-parter on WNED (PBS), produced by Anne Martin, broadcast on Friday. I PVR'd the programme and watched it yesterday. Apparently it was done on a very tight schedule; Anne Martin remarked that only one TV station would have agreed to show it without having seen the finished product, and that station was WNED. It was a good fit for their pledge drive; they're catering to Southern Ontario viewers as never before. I congratulate Anne Martin for having at least done SOMETHING to mark Toronto's 175th, I'm just sorry that the production values were so 80's retro (read "low quality"). Really, even "CASH CAB" on HD Discovery makes the city look better.

http://www.wned.org/Features/toronto175/default.asp

About 70% of their member support comes from Ontario. They go out of their way for programming from this area.

Last edited:
I wish I could dig up that old Cities series. The one narrated by Glenn Gould about Toronto was pretty fun. And Glenn Gould!

Back