Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Huge reason why Metrolinx's B-Line LRT is losing my support is due to the massive swaths of demolition, mostly historic and/or unique sites (not to mention hundreds of units of affordable apartments).

In this one screenshot below, there are 10 buildings set to be demolished including a beautiful historic Scotia Bank (now Hakim Optical), a relic of the past Martin's Bowl, a few restos and dozens of affordable apartments.
Just west of the screenshot at King & Holton, the beautiful Bank of Montreal building is also set to be torn down.

IMG_8482.PNG

While LRT advocates whine and cry in letters / emails to City Council about a Bay St stop, these buildings --and many more!-- remain on the chopping block with little acknowledgement :(

Attachments

• IMG_8482.PNG
    IMG_8482.PNG
    382.9 KB · Views: 390
In this one screenshot below, there are 10 buildings set to be demolished including a beautiful historic Scotia Bank (now Hakim Optical), a relic of the past Martin's Bowl, a few restos and dozens of affordable apartments.

That does seem like a ton of demolition in order to give drivers right-hand turn lanes which you don't find along most of the route.

^I don't see any right turn lanes there. I do question the need of the Scotiabank though, it looks as though that property impact could be mitigated with some adjustments.

^I don't see any right turn lanes there. I do question the need of the Scotiabank though, it looks as though that property impact could be mitigated with some adjustments.

You're right. I mis-read the left turn arrows as being left+straight. I guess that symbol is left+U? Either way, it's still 1 more lane than most intersections have and isn't really an "LRT" thing.

7 more buildings in this screenshot of King & Wentworth set for the wrecking ball (including a newly-discovered TD Bank, and dozens more affordable apartments)

IMG_8513.PNG

Just a couple of the buildings from that south-west corner

IMG_8386.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8513.PNG
    IMG_8513.PNG
    325.4 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_8513.PNG
    IMG_8513.PNG
    325.4 KB · Views: 898
  • IMG_8386.JPG
    IMG_8386.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 570
This shot of King & Main (the least logistical, most nonsense stop on the route) requires the demolition of the iconic Delta Block bldg which has housed Pizza Pizza and it's order processing centre for decades (along with several other storefronts with affordable apartments above them)

IMG_8514.PNG

This shot of The Delta Block via Google Streetview

IMG_8515.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_8514.PNG
    IMG_8514.PNG
    405 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_8515.PNG
    IMG_8515.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 377
7 more buildings in this screenshot of King & Wentworth set for the wrecking ball (including a newly-discovered TD Bank, and dozens more affordable apartments)

View attachment 99428

Just a couple of the buildings from that south-west corner

View attachment 99429

Is it the demolition in principle or the loss of affordable housing? In my view that building at the corner has about zero redeeming features. Good riddance.

There is a choice.

Do we complain and bitch (or join the NOLRT team)?
Or do we ACTUALLY do something?

We should be banding together for solutions. For example, when a corner is cut, only the ground floor needs to be slightly expropriated if there only needs the second floor to cantilever over the sidewalk by one-half meter (e.g. If it does not enroach intro road allowance, just slightly over sidewalk). Delta can easily structurally do that, for example. But this is good for upIt has been done elsewhere. Also, the most historic building facades can be disassebled and re-built a few meters set back. One of you put together a heritage preservation group and I'm in -- I'd let my spouse know because he has a very big interest in heritage stuff. One of our presentations brought up the subject of heritage preservation. And reach out to existing groups (if they are organized enough to band together on this).

Last edited:
There is a choice.

Do we complain and bitch (or join the NOLRT team)?
Or do we ACTUALLY do something?

We should be banding together for solutions. For example, when a corner is cut, only the ground floor needs to be slightly expropriated if there only needs the second floor to cantilever over the sidewalk by one-half meter (e.g. If it does not enroach intro road allowance, just slightly over sidewalk). Delta can easily structurally do that, for example. But this is good for upIt has been done elsewhere. Also, the most historic building facades can be disassebled and re-built a few meters set back. One of you put together a heritage preservation group and I'm in -- I'd let my spouse know because he has a very big interest in heritage stuff. One of our presentations brought up the subject of heritage preservation. And reach out to existing groups (if they are organized enough to band together on this).
Downtown Hamilton is in serious need of renewal, and permanent transit is known to be one of the best drivers of improvement. Heritage protection doesn't mean saving everything. You have to be willing to lose a few buildings in order to save the city.

Downtown Hamilton is in serious need of renewal, and permanent transit is known to be one of the best drivers of improvement. Heritage protection doesn't mean saving everything. You have to be willing to lose a few buildings in order to save the city.
At the same time, taking out a stretch of a street entirely seems a bit excessive, and at least based one the images above.

Now, if all of those areas will be immediately replaced by new buildings, its less of a concern, though still a bit of a shame since old buildings add flavor to a city. If those lots just end up empty though, well thats another matter entirely.

Back