Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Apologies if this has been asked an answered many times - but how long is that walk expected to be to the Go Station? Seems a shame they couldn't have found a way to integrate the Go with an LRT stop to really streamline the commute?
It's about a 5–7 minute walk from the James Street stop to the GO Centre. Maybe up to 10 minutes including the time to get up to platform level and if you have bad luck with the traffic signals. There were plans to streetscape Hughson Street to make the connection more pedestrian friendly but that probably doesn't fit into the budget right away.
streetscaping.JPG

Last edited:
The part about that too is that all day go service for Hamilton is planned to go to West Harbour GO, not Hamilton Centre. Which is significantly further from downtown and the LRT.

Granted, not on the table in the near term.............but really it should be to both..........the service model should be 15 minute 2WAD to Aldershot; and then split with 2WAD 30M to West Harbour, and 2WAD 30M to Downtown Hamilton.

I don’t disagree, but there are issues with CP there, as well as I believe physical limitations with the downtown tunnel which IIRC is only wide enough for 1 track (well, it’s wide enough for 2 but not two tracks that can accommodate double height container stacks from what I recall).

the good news at least is it’s my understanding that Metrolinx is ready to bring all day service to West Harbour GO ASAP and is just waiting on ridership to rebound to do so.

The part about that too is that all day go service for Hamilton is planned to go to West Harbour GO, not Hamilton Centre. Which is significantly further from downtown and the LRT.
For this reason I honestly think the better option for hamilton would be building the A and B lines as BRT, instead of just a B line LRT. While on its own the B line would be a really nice addition to Hamilton's transit network, I don't think that it alone can carry the needs of Hamilton in terms of rapid transit.

For this reason I honestly think the better option for hamilton would be building the A and B lines as BRT, instead of just a B line LRT. While on its own the B line would be a really nice addition to Hamilton's transit network, I don't think that it alone can carry the needs of Hamilton in terms of rapid transit.
Liberal lefties pushing their union loving lrt agenda again.

Liberal lefties pushing their union loving lrt agenda again.
If Hamilton wants to scrounge up funds for both an A line and B line LRT, or an B line LRT with A line BRT, I have no problem. All I'm saying is if the LRT is coming at the cost of some sort of rapid transit on the A line, perhaps finding a way to lower the cost of the B line to have stronger coverage makes sense. If you want to have a discussion about whether or not the A line is actually needed, I'd gladly have this discussion. If you're just going to send these jabs mocking a projection you have created of myself while clearly not knowing even a shred of my politics or personal opinions you can continue to make yourself look like a jester.

Last edited:
If Hamilton wants to scrounge up funds for both an A line and B line LRT, or an B line LRT with A line BRT, I have no problem. All I'm saying is if the LRT is coming at the cost of some sort of rapid transit on the A line, perhaps finding a way to lower the cost of the B line to have stronger coverage makes sense. If you want to have a discussion about whether or not the A line is actually needed, I'd gladly have this discussion. If you're just going to send these jabs mocking a projection you have created of myself while clearly not knowing even a shred of my politics or personal opinions you can continue to make yourself look like a jester.
As much as I disagree with you. I like you much better this way than your previous onecity and coffey1 account.

As much as I disagree with you. I like you much better this way than your previous onecity and coffey1 account.
I have no idea who coffey1 is, and the only time I ever saw onecity he was whining about RapidTO and how BRT is bad, which as you can tell I completely disagree with. What is your goal exactly with these comments?

This way of reasoning has its merits. But on the flip side:
- If Hamilton gets Line B LRT this time, it will be in very good position to ask for Line A LRT / BRT at the next round of transit expansion, or the next next round. Maybe 4-5 years from now, maybe a bit later.
- If they build Line B and A BRTs instead, then all the stars will need to allign really well to get either of them upgraded to LRT. As long as the ridership is within the BRT margins, noone will bother upgrading. So, several transit expansion cycles will be skipped. Then if the ridership demands LRT eventually, the upgrade will have to wait until the fund holders feel like giving something to transit. And even then, the construction in the already popular corridor will be somewhat disruptive.

Furthermore, density may be growing faster along LRT than along BRT on the same route, due to the permanence factor. Btw I am a bit skeptical about that factor playing a big role in 416; if they want permanence, they will just build near subway stations, plenty of slots are still available. But in Hamilton, it's another matter: LRT will be the best transit line in town, going straight through the centre. Businesses will have a reason to locate near LRT, knowing it isn't going away, and then the residential construction will follow.

Generally, when a municipality chooses between two transit options, both options being somewhat reasonable, but one is cheaper and the other is more future-proof: a smart municipality should always go for the second option, if the fund holders don't object.

I think this is relevant to the BRT vs LRT discussion

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-n...al-visit-to-thunder-bays-alstom-plant-3782023

The virtual visit demonstrates “how important this plant –and this city, really –is for this government,” said Powlowski in a statement.

Trudeau announced earlier this week more work would be coming to the plant as part of a more than $500 million funding agreement between the federal and provincial governments and the City of Toronto.

That will fund an order for 60 new streetcars from the Alstom plan, along with an expansion of TTC storage facilities.

The former Bombardier plant, which was sold to French company Alstom as part of a 2020 deal, has boasted a workforce as large as 1,100 workers, but that has fallen below 300 as the plant struggled to generate orders.

This way of reasoning has its merits. But on the flip side:
- If Hamilton gets Line B LRT this time, it will be in very good position to ask for Line A LRT / BRT at the next round of transit expansion, or the next next round. Maybe 4-5 years from now, maybe a bit later.
- If they build Line B and A BRTs instead, then all the stars will need to allign really well to get either of them upgraded to LRT. As long as the ridership is within the BRT margins, noone will bother upgrading. So, several transit expansion cycles will be skipped. Then if the ridership demands LRT eventually, the upgrade will have to wait until the fund holders feel like giving something to transit. And even then, the construction in the already popular corridor will be somewhat disruptive.

Furthermore, density may be growing faster along LRT than along BRT on the same route, due to the permanence factor. Btw I am a bit skeptical about that factor playing a big role in 416; if they want permanence, they will just build near subway stations, plenty of slots are still available. But in Hamilton, it's another matter: LRT will be the best transit line in town, going straight through the centre. Businesses will have a reason to locate near LRT, knowing it isn't going away, and then the residential construction will follow.

Generally, when a municipality chooses between two transit options, both options being somewhat reasonable, but one is cheaper and the other is more future-proof: a smart municipality should always go for the second option, if the fund holders don't object.
This is actually a really good point. Maybe Hamilton can get some shuttle busses, better express busses, or maybe some bus lanes with queue jumps between downtown and West Harbour, sort of as a lead up to an eventual A line, either BRT or LRT.

If you all thought having an LRT on the B-Line provided some good theatrics, just wait until the day you see an LRT proposed for the A-Line.

Trust me, we will never be seeing any kind of LRT on the A-Line and it's not just because of topography issues either. The topography issues can be solved 10x easier then the political theatre issues (ie: Lower City vs. Hamilton Mountain).

But in any case, we're still not completely out of the woodworks here. They dont plan on starting construction until 2023, and we'll have a municipal, provincial and federeal election before then. The provincial election is the bigger one to watch here because if Del Duca gets elected, we know how much he loves to interfere and play around with timelines. Heck he'd probably allow Hamilton to change their plans to a BRT if that's the city's "desire".

Back