Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

For that election cycle, perhaps.

Until we know certainity of outcome, I see that A-Line could be either BRT or LRT+BRT.

Full length A-Line true-LRT is not economically viable at this time because you're sending trains over a section of nearly rural to the airport, and the airport is still not grown to enough passengers to warrant full LRT operation yet. I'd like to see that change quickly. But perhaps time will actually fix that for us. After a few election cycles of delays, then A-Line upgraded express buses followed by full-length LRT long after people have experience the B-Line LRT, really like it, and demand the A-Line be an LRT instead of BRT.

Some possible A-Line scenarios that happens, assuming B-Line proceeds:

(A) Election cycle 2022 leans A-Line LRT early.
RESULT: Funding gets approved to build an A-Line LRT Watefront-to-Limeridge right after B-Line finishes construction 2025. Upgraded bus connection from Limeridge to airport, with some downtown-to-airport nonstop bus service (such as a GO bus) introduced at least until full length A-Line LRT (as an A-Line extension later on).

(B) Electon cycle 2022 leans A-Line BRT
RESULT: Funding gets approved to build a B-Line LRT full length, with real Transitway facilities in the core section (where room) -- curbed lanes with Transitway-sized or near Transitway-sized stations (single lane stations though), with upgraded connections. Express bus lanes in the narrow sections, and shared automobile/bus in the James Street North downtown section (initially, until it turns into a transit mall by the ~2030s-2040s).

(C) Eelection 2022 and 2026 screw up further BRT/LRT funding for many years
RESULT: We hopefully limp along on an upgraded #20 A-Line Express that is gradually upgraded to 15 minute service AD2W. Automobile mentality continues to prevents curbed Transitway style BRT that's #BRTcreep-proof. The B-Line begins operating 2025-2026 (1-2 year delay), and then demand builds up for a full-length A-Line LRT that eventually gets funded by the end of 2030s for a build complete by 2041.

These are only theoretical examples. Many possible outcomes.

Last edited:
Says who? Harper wasn't exactly anti-transit. Meanwhile, Hamilton is a genuine battleground between all 3 parties.
Harper only showed up to play whenever he felt like it benefited him or his party. When it came to the unflashy transit affairs, he wouldn't toss a cent towards those (asides from the gas tax which every government uses to fund some part of transit).

See his former minister John Baird past comments for details as to how the former federal PCs felt about transit.

But what I wonder is that what vehicles would the LRT use? I'd like to see Metrolinx use some Siemens S70s on the line.

I think it has already been decided that it will be either the Bombardier or the Alstom (ML already did a big order for all the GTHA projects)
Actually, that was Eglinton or Hurontario.

The Hamilton one is not yet decided. But they did remove "Bombardier" from the demo LRT (two segments) that they were showing off at events.

I think it has already been decided that it will be either the Bombardier or the Alstom (ML already did a big order for all the GTHA projects)
They should go for Alstom since the vehicles are being manufactured 20 close kilometers away

Says who? Harper wasn't exactly anti-transit. Meanwhile, Hamilton is a genuine battleground between all 3 parties.

What? When's the last time Hamilton voted Conservative? Next to Vancouver East, Windsor and Northern Ontario there aren't any safer NDP jurisdictions in the country than Hamilton.

What? When's the last time Hamilton voted Conservative? Next to Vancouver East, Windsor and Northern Ontario there aren't any safer NDP jurisdictions in the country than Hamilton.

Did you look it up? It's not a secret. It's very easy to see Hamilton has not often voted NDP at all. Hamilton West voted in a Conservative MPP on Mike Harris' term.

Last edited:
Kitchener Waterloo's ION LRT is now running!

Great video inside a relatively full vehicle at speed. This is the LRT experience that applies to the Hamilton LRT -- a very "subway-smooth" ride that is comfortable for smartphone users without the typical jostling of non-rail-based vehicles.

Much more comfortable ride as a smartphone standee without all the jostling typical of non-rail vehicles!

Hamilton is happy that Kitchener Waterloo launched really smoothly today! There's no peep of mentionworthy glitches today.

Last edited:

Back