Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Is it that unusual when they are looking for shovel ready projects for the economic recovery stimulus spending?
On a specific project? Yes. They would normally say something like “we are creating x project with x funding for shovel ready projects which can be submitted for funding by the provincial governments” - the exact project list being up to the province. Picking specific infrastructure projects generally isn’t under the federal governments mandate unless it’s federally regulated or something, like airports, Via, roads through national parks, etc.

The Spec: ‘Starve the virus’ and build LRT, says Hamilton Chamber of Commerce in pandemic recovery report

Edit: Here are some relevant snippets from the article. Most are from the PDF WK Lis has linked below.
Stimulation is a word frequently used in the 12-page report, submitted to the city’s economic recovery task force. It calls on governments to assist businesses amid COVID restrictions — and that the province proceed with funding the much-debated light rail transit (LRT) project in Hamilton.

[...]

“Thankfully, given that we are 10 years into an urban renaissance, we have a number of significant projects, like LRT, that are ready for immediate investment,” said chamber president and CEO Keanin Loomis in the report.

Building the LRT B-line is among the projects that will “deliver significant economic uplift,” it suggested.

“The provincial government should resume the RFP (request for proposal) process and work with the federal government to close any shortfalls in funding, with the aim of commencing construction as quickly as possible.”

Last December, citing cost overruns, the province seemed to kill the project. But in April, a provincial task force recommended Ontario spend $1 billion on either light rail or bus rapid transit in Hamilton.

Last edited:

Here's the PDF link to the Post COVID-19 Economic Blueprint

Through consultation with our members, the Hamilton Chamber has created a ‘Post COVID-19 Economic Blueprint’ for the City’s newly-established Economic Recovery Task Force. Read the full report below.

It includes short term and long term recommendations for all three levels of government to ensure a smooth, equitable, and sustainable transition for Hamilton and beyond.

The Post COVID-19 Economic Blueprint is a living advocacy document. With circumstances changing often, we intend to adapt our recommendations to the needs of our members.

COVID-19 abatement measures have placed our everyday lives on hold and have exacted considerable damage to the national and local economies. Though it’s important we maintain our fight against the virus, it is imperative that we progress in the responsible reopening of the economy.

Report from The Spec; they got FOI (Freedom of Information) request documents on how the province decided the Hamilton LRT was 5.5B and way too expensive.

The document is heavily redacted (upwards of 1/2)........but what is visible suggests a cost estimate much lower.......~2.3B

Apparently the NDP also has a copy..........and a presser is expected tomorrow.

Report from The Spec; they got FOI (Freedom of Information) request documents on how the province decided the Hamilton LRT was 5.5B and way too expensive.

The document is heavily redacted (upwards of 1/2)........but what is visible suggests a cost estimate much lower.......~2.3B

Apparently the NDP also has a copy..........and a presser is expected tomorrow.

I mean, we all knew the 5.5B estimate was total bunk. I'm sure the real number will come to light when the Province doesn't have to fund it alone. :rolleyes:

The real question is whether the province will ever walk itself back from this decision, especially since that means a loss of face.

The real question is whether the province will ever walk itself back from this decision, especially since that means a loss of face.
The Ford Government has walked back several decisions in it's terms - but I don't see this as one of them. The best route forward is likely for them to get federal funding as I just don't see the province going back to 100% provincial funding.

The Ford Government has walked back several decisions in it's terms - but I don't see this as one of them. The best route forward is likely for them to get federal funding as I just don't see the province going back to 100% provincial funding.

The province is committed to giving Hamilton 1B, its original LRT commitment.

I would expect, assuming the decision to proceed is reversed, that will be honoured and the balance of any funds will be Federal/City.

The province is committed to giving Hamilton 1B, its original LRT commitment.

I would expect, assuming the decision to proceed is reversed, that will be honoured and the balance of any funds will be Federal/City.
That's what I'm hoping for, yes. My point more so was that I doubt they will go back to funding it themselves without any federal help.

I don't see them doing anything at all. If the $1 billion is contingent on other levels of funding then there's no movement on this until Ford is out of office.

It's unfortunate they produced a fake number to justify not building this, especially when they pour billions (arguably unnecessarily) into other projects.

I don't see them doing anything at all. If the $1 billion is contingent on other levels of funding then there's no movement on this until Ford is out of office.

It's unfortunate they produced a fake number to justify not building this, especially when they pour billions (arguably unnecessarily) into other projects.

Can not 1 billion worth of LRT be built and simply defer the rest to a future phase when new funding becomes available?

Can not 1 billion worth of LRT be built and simply defer the rest to a future phase when new funding becomes available?

Sure - but now they've put the idea in everyone's head that $1 billion isn't nearly enough for a proper LRT. Seems like a political move that saves them $1 billion, and leaves the Hamilton LRT for another government to deal with.

It's the same song and dance we've seen countless times.

Last edited:
Sure - but now they've put the idea in everyone's head that $1 billion isn't nearly enough for a proper LRT. Seems like a political move that saves them $1 billion, and leaves the Hamilton LRT for another government to deal with.

It's the same song and dance we've seen countless times.

Except, they've politically committed to giving Hamilton the 1B.

Just not more.

I think its easy enough for them to say, if you want it for LRT, find the rest.

I also think that's pretty easy, actually.

There's a federal cabinet minister {McKenna) who is very loudly pushing the Hamilton LRT.

I expect the chance of significant federal funds in the offing is high.

It's always best to start the construction and then when you run out of money you can cry for more. This didn't work on Sheppard subway but that's because subways cost significantly more than LRT. If you wait for full funding it might never happen, other plans get drawn on napkins and in that time construction prices rise.

Back