Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Hah!

I'm an Ottawan.
I remember when the Ottawa LRT was cancelled in 2006.

Siemens sues for $177M over Ottawa's cancelled LRT

Want me to keep going on more about cancelled transit lines that got resurrected. The resurrection forces is very strong on the Hamilton LRT for the next 10 years, and it will likely be re-budgetted while redrawn (perhaps combining A-line and B-line LRT into one omnibus budget funded triparte by election 2030 or so). The seeds have been sown -- angry developers, angry residents, angry politicans. There's no way that the 2020 suggestions will survive election 2022 unscathed. Bank on it.

It's kind of dissapointing this is going to be churned up. Just hope we don't churn nearly as much as the Scarborough route. Waste of time, waste of money -- just build the LRT already.

A defeat of Thug's government in 2022 could certainly bring this project back to life.

Ottawa is still feeling the repercussions of the 2006 cancellation. It was not just that one line being cancelled. The whole Transportation Master Plan was thrown out. What we are ending up with is an extremely expensive skeleton of the original transit plan. The city will be paying for this loss of opportunity and financial loss forever. What was particularly disturbing was the politics behind it all, which gave us an incompetent Conservative mayor.

I can see the NDP and Liberals both making it part of their plank. They both need to gain/maintain seats in the area.

The question is, could the project be re-started immediately in such a situation? All the planning and engineering work was already complete, making it shovel ready, right?

The question is, could the project be re-started immediately in such a situation? All the planning and engineering work was already complete, making it shovel ready, right?

The Conservatives have been known to destroy or delete everything. Best to make copies of copies of copies, just in case.

From link.

An order was issued in April, 1959, for the destruction of everything associated with the Arrow: the built and partially built planes, the assembly line, drawings, films, photographs – anything to indicate the Arrow had ever existed. George, who was kept on at Avro for about a year after the cancellation (“We were the chosen few.”) bore witness as the now infamous destruction was carried out.

Ottawa is still feeling the repercussions of the 2006 cancellation. It was not just that one line being cancelled. The whole Transportation Master Plan was thrown out. What we are ending up with is an extremely expensive skeleton of the original transit plan. The city will be paying for this loss of opportunity and financial loss forever. What was particularly disturbing was the politics behind it all, which gave us an incompetent Conservative mayor.
The original LRT plan was to run on street. It'll probably operate similar speed as the 504 King. I really don't think it suits Ottawa considering the number of riders.

Via a tweet I saw:

Breaking: Hamilton Transportation Task Force members:
-Tony Valeri (former Fed transport Min.)
-Anthony Primerano(LiUNA)
-Janet Smith (city manager)
-Dr. Saiedeh Razavi (civil engineering professor and researcher)
-Richard Brennan (former journalist)
More later #Hamont #Onpoli

The original LRT plan was to run on street. It'll probably operate similar speed as the 504 King. I really don't think it suits Ottawa considering the number of riders.

Especially considering the rest of the system would run in a right-of-way in the old bus transitway corridors. So theres a service issue with suddenly having the trains slow down once they enter the downtown

Hah!

I'm an Ottawan -- born in Ottawa.
I remember when the Ottawa LRT was cancelled in 2006.

Siemens sues for $177M over Ottawa's cancelled LRT

And guess what is in Ottawa today?....

(Mind you, our LRT is more similar to the more reliable Kitchener-Waterloo ION LRT, but you get the idea)

Many cancelled transit lines got resurrected over future elections, often under slightly different routings and different budget. The resurrection forces is very strong on the Hamilton LRT for the next 10 years, and it will likely be re-budgetted while redrawn (perhaps as-is, perhaps minor modifications, or perhaps combining A-line and B-line LRT into one omnibus budget funded triparte by election 2030 or so, if demographics continue its current journey -- it is only a matter of time before enough wards would be willing to band together to municipally pitch one-third). The seeds have been sown -- angry developers, angry residents, angry politicans. There's no way that the 2020 suggestions will survive election 2022 unscathed. Bank on it.

In addition, Hamilton is the city that had the largest resident-led public LRT rally of any city -- it looked larger than the 1970s "Save Our Streetcars" rally led by Steve Munro. there is way more pro-LRT residents in Hamilton than any other Canadian city. The Force is strong with this one, and many future elections will factor that in.

It's kind of dissapointing this is going to be churned up. Just hope we don't churn nearly as much as the Scarborough route. Waste of time, waste of money -- just build the LRT already.

TL;DR: History tells me there is a better than 50% chance that the Hamilton LRT will be resurrected this decade.

Well, your argument has credence at least given that we are only a few weeks into the new decade. Anything could happen. Maybe even the full BLAST network

Especially considering the rest of the system would run in a right-of-way in the old bus transitway corridors. So theres a service issue with suddenly having the trains slow down once they enter the downtown
That's the main reason Ottawa built the LRT. The Transitway is fine in most places. Buses don't need transfers, and there isn't a disruptive 15 year construction period. Well, it's either that or a terrible transfer. See: Tunney's.

Back