Report on Business: Money & Markets
GTAA needs to be curbed before it careens down the runway
HARRY KOZA
981 words
23 June 2006
The Globe and Mail
B10
English
All material copyright Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. or its licensors. All rights reserved.
Someone told me the other day that, back when Ontario Hydro was a bloated out-of-control bureaucracy, fuelling its hapless nuclear expansion with a tsunami of debt — which, by the way, Ontario residents are still paying off — it had something like 200 economists on staff.

Jeez, 200 economists — no wonder it was so screwed up! Maurice Strong's main accomplishment when he took over the Hydro helm (and likely the only feat of his career that ever actually saved taxpayers any money) was to winnow that number down to two (though still likely one too many).

This may be apocryphal, but it seems plausible. Swelling bureaucracies with no checks and balances do tend to get a little crazy.

Speaking of out-of-control bureaucracies, I was reading the master plan for the Greater Toronto Airport Authority's redevelopment of Pearson Airport the other day. It's quite the plan, and the press is already routinely referring to the project as the Taj Mahal. I hear wags on the Street lately describing it as “Ontario Hydro of the skies.â€

Right now, after roughly $7-billion in bonds issued to finance the project, the new terminal has piers D, E, and F open. The next stage will require the demolition of Terminal 2 and finishing of Pier G. Now, I don't know about you, but I've been in a lot of airports that are far worse than Terminal 2.

Why not save a billion dollars of taxpayer money (and believe you me, one way or another Ontario residents will be paying for it) and just build a bridge over to Terminal 2 instead of tearing it down and adding another wing? The ultimate phase of the expansion will see the demolition and replacement of Terminal 3 — you know, that new modern one they only recently bought from the private developers for a fat price. Obviously, I must be totally uninformed on the nuances of modern airport design, because to me, tearing down Terminal 3 seems completely insane.

Anyway, price is no object for the new airport. After all, the GTAA has effective taxing power, and can just increase landing fees and the rents on their business tenants, and slap another departure tax or improvement fee on your ticket. This is why bond investors have been enamoured enough of the whole concept to snaffle up $7-billion worth of airport debt. I've even bought some GTAA bonds myself. This is also why crappy airport food costs an arm and a leg, air travel is so expensive, and one of the reasons why the airline business is so dismally awful.

The International Air Travel Association (IATA) says that the global airline industry will only lose $2.2-billion (U.S.) in 2006. That's good news, as it is much lower than the $6-billion it lost in 2005. Airlines in the United States, IATA figures, will lose $5.4-billion this year, assuming an average oil price of $57 a barrel. Last year, U.S. airlines lost $10.8-billion on oil prices higher than $56 a barrel, and that doesn't include the $16.7-billion fourth-quarter charge for United Airlines' restructuring.

Airlines have responded by tightening their belts: cutting labour costs, reducing amenities to Aeroflot standards, and jacking up fares. Meanwhile, airport authorities all across Canada are issuing debt to refurbish their operations and hiking their landing fees. In 2004, Pearson already had the second-highest landing fees in the world, after Tokyo's Narita airport, and since then they've announced another 17-per-cent increase. Add in the currency effects of the strong loonie, and Pearson is now the world's most expensive airport.

The GTAA, with another 10 years to go before Pearson is completed, is already making noises about building a new airport at Pickering. Yet the prospectuses for all the existing GTAA bonds clearly state that as part of the protection for bondholders, no competing passenger airport will be built for 60 years. Hey, no problem, the Pickering Airport will be for cargo flights, not passengers. No one knows, however, how much new debt will have to be strapped on to build an airport at Pickering. Not to worry, though, because the docile taxpayers of Ontario will, indirectly though it may be, still pick up the tab.

This is taxation without representation. The airport authorities are a law unto themselves. They aren't audited by the Auditor-General (though they should be). They borrow vast amounts of money that is, one way or another, on the taxpayers' back, and yet are unaccountable to the taxpayers' representatives. Absent the GTAA's taxing power, no one in their right mind would lend money to an airport authority — all their airline customers are bankrupt (some have even been through bankruptcy more than once).

Airlines only want two things from the airports they land at: low landing fees and the rapid movement of happy passengers. Neither of these things, however, is in the interest of airport authorities, who need to extract the maximum rent from the real estate they inherited from the federal government in order to service their giant debt loads. That means high rents, high landing fees and hordes of dishevelled passengers cooped up in vast shopping malls.

So the GTAA continues to build its gold-plated facility, apparently on the theory that price is no object as long as it is a “world-class†building. Maybe I'm just being curmudgeonly, but I think they are out of control, and just like Ontario Hydro at its bloated peak, desperately need to be reined in.

Harry Koza is senior Canadian markets analyst at Thomson Financial and a columnist for GlobeinvestorGOLD.com.

Re: GTAA needs to be curbed before it careens down the runwa

The next stage will require the demolition of Terminal 2 and finishing of Pier G. Now, I don't know about you, but I've been in a lot of airports that are far worse than Terminal 2.

Geez. What is there to like about Terminal 2, essentially a converted cargo building?

The ultimate phase of the expansion will see the demolition and replacement of Terminal 3 — you know, that new modern one they only recently bought from the private developers for a fat price.

Yeah, in like 20-30 years, you dolt.

Not the best written article, that's for sure. But I would expect to hear more and more about this in the coming months, because it is true that the GTAA has amassed $7 BILLION (!) worth of debt and it is true that Pearson is now the world's most expensive airport. People can't ignore this for long.

These are the results of private-public partnerships that are allowed to determine their own responsibilities, are given the taxing and debt-issuing powers of government, and have the "accountability" of private business.

The GTAA is a government-created monopoly with no government oversight.

But I would expect to hear more and more about this in the coming months, because it is true that the GTAA has amassed $7 BILLION (!) worth of debt and it is true that Pearson is now the world's most expensive airport. People can't ignore this for long.

The plan was to start paying off debt pretty quickly after construction finished on the Hammerhead. With revenues of about $1B per year, carrying $7B debt amortized over 30 years shouldn't be an issue.

Flight and passenger counts were both higher last year than at any point in the past -- higher prices aren't keeping passengers away. The only real catch is that most flights are full. Very few partially full planes will be going to Pearson due to the landing fees but that's not really a bad thing -- it's efficient ;)

It would be nice if the Feds treated Ground Rent the same as the US. That would make for a 30% increase in revenue available to Canadian airports.

The GTAA is a government-created monopoly
I wouldn't exactly say that, you can always fly out of Hamilton let alone Buffalo.

Heck, hop a flight from the Island Airport to Montreal or Ottawa and go from there if you're primary concern is price.

My only concern with the GTAA is the increasing operational expenses, but closing Terminal 2 and the Infield Terminal should go a long way towards solving that after the Hammerhead opens.

Then again, I strongly believe that air travel is a luxury and not something the government should be subsidizing.

In many ways I wish the TTC had similar freedom to plan their own future without government meddling. Many of the results would have been better. I would gladly pay European transit fares for dramatically improved service.

Airlines only want two things from the airports they land at: low landing fees and the rapid movement of happy passengers.

I will only observe that this, in fact, is three things.

Then again, I strongly believe that air travel is a luxury and not something the government should be subsidizing.

Agreed. That's one surefire way to restore the oft-lamented "magic of flying": send prices through the roof.

send prices through the roof.
I would argue that the price hasn't really changed all that much. It's just presented differently than it was before.

Take each of the plans (Do Nothing, wait on the feds to do something, crown corporation with private financing, fully private, etc.) and work out the long term cost of each and you will find that for the most part the total cost is pretty close to equal. The person that pays the price might change, but the cost really doesn't.

Do Nothing hits long term revenue of both the airport and the surrounding cities -- everything from tourism to limiting business growth. The airport was at capacity. I've spent enough time at O'Hare to know that airports running at capacity are completely useless. A 15 minute rainstorm will delay flights by over 2 hours because of the backlog created during that time (flights are prioritized by fuel, flight pattern, etc. -- thus order changes as delays increase).

Waiting on the feds seemed to be essentially the same as Do Nothing. Old T1 was considered obsolete in the early 1970's and Mirabel was built to replace it. T2 was built as a freight terminal, but converted when Mirabel didn't work out as planned. It wasn't until T3 came along that the old T1 actually had a replacement, but by that time it was 20 years overdue. Income and sales taxes funded most of this in the end.

Crown corp with private financing seems to be catching up on required infrastructure pretty quickly but at the cost of a high ticket price.

Fully private impacts are for the reader to figure out. I would imagine it would be a cross between Do Nothing and high fees from debt load.

they aren't audited by the Auditor-General (though they should be).

Im actually surprised the Globe and Mail would make such an foolish statement. As part of the articles of incorporation in Canada the GTAA has to be audited by an independant audit committee at least once a year. Deloitte & touche is the GTAA's auditor if anyone is interested. Whether the Auditor General or A big accounting firm does this is irrelevant the job is done properly either way. The auditor general is for government companies not crown corporations and is more expensive thana private firm so its actually better that the auditor general doesnt work for the GTAA.

The GTAA is a government-created monopoly with no government oversight.

Why the need for government oversight? lets not forget that one of the reasons for such high landing fees is because of government policy on rents.

Now, I don't know about you, but I've been in a lot of airports that are far worse than Terminal 2.

crappy airport food costs an arm and a leg

I have had worse tasting and more expensive food. Do you have to wait until something is "the worst" to fix it or should you start when it is simply "bad".

Why not save a billion dollars of taxpayer money (and believe you me, one way or another Ontario residents will be paying for it) and just build a bridge over to Terminal 2 instead of tearing it down and adding another wing?

It isn't taxpayers money... it is money charged to airline service consumers. Why buy that house in the city when you can buy a portable room and put it on stilts and connect it together with bridges? Because it is cheap ass ugly crap that barely works, thats why. T2 was never meant to be Toronto's terminal for the 21st century.

Obviously, I must be totally uninformed on the nuances of modern airport design, because to me, tearing down Terminal 3 seems completely insane.

Definitely uninformed.

I think he's simply unaccustomed to planning more than two years in the future. "Terminal 3 is new now, so why would they ever tear it down?" He doesn't seem to grasp that new things get old.

I'm hoping that when the pier F gets built that expenses (and therefore charges) will drop. I have no problem with the rent charged by the government, though. I don't see why airports that take up thousands of acres of incredibly valuable land should receive free rent as a subsidy. I'd much rather give that subsidy to things like transit which benefit everyone rather than the select frequent-flying few.

I'm hoping that when the pier F gets built that expenses (and therefore charges) will drop.

That will not happen immediately. The plan presented in the 2005 year end is to start putting large sums of cash against the principal of the debt during non-construction years. During construction years the goal is to not take on very much additional debt.

GTAA owes about $7B today and plans to have it down to about $4.7B by 2011.

T1 is great. It's not the best airport terminal ever designed, but it's definitely very nice and a huge improvement over the old T1 and T2. Once the new pier becomes operational and T2 gets torn down, passengers will notice things work even better (e.g. no need to transfer terminals for US connections).

What's wrong with finally having an airport we can be proud of? If the feds hadn't shafted Toronto for so long in the first place, we wouldn't be in this position.

Deloitte & touche is the GTAA's auditor if anyone is interested. Whether the Auditor General or A big accounting firm does this is irrelevant the job is done properly either way.

What the Auditor General does, in part, is a Value for Money audit to identify inefficiencies and other areas for potential improvement. This is something that I highly doubt is within Deloitte's mandate. AFAIK, they are only responsible for the financial statements.

Audit is only 1 of the 6 division sof Deloitte in Canada, so it can be within its mandate. It would still be cheaper getting a firm to do it instead of the Auditor General.

Don't forget T3 won't be demolished for a while considering that they JUST finished EXPANDING it!

Back