1.2K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 558     0 

Groundbreaking for new Lisgar GO Station

Y

yyzer

Media Advisory - McGuinty Government to announce transit improvements for Mississauga commuters
MISSISSAUGA, ON, Dec. 8 /CNW/ - Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield,
MPP for Mississauga West Bob Delaney, GO Transit Managing Director & CEO Gary
McNeil, GTTA Chair Rob MacIsaac and Mississauga Councillor Pat Saito, will
break ground for the new Lisgar GO train station in north west Mississauga.

<<
DATE: Friday, December 8, 2006

TIME: 3:00 p.m.

DIRECTIONS: Exit Highway 401 at Winston Churchill Boulevard and turn
left (south).
Proceed south on Winston Churchill to Argentia Road and turn
right.
Proceed to where Argentia Road ends at Tenth Line.
Parking is available on Tenth Line.

Editor's/Producer's Note: Photo Opportunity.

While we're on the subject, the new station at Oriole/IKEA is coming along. Structural steel is up, and you can now tell it's a GO station.

THE MISSISSAUGA NEWS
GO breaks ground

The Mississauga News
Dec 9, 2006

More than 25 years since the last GO station was built in Mississauga, ground was broken yesterday for the construction of the Lisgar GO Station in north-west Mississauga on the Milton GO train line.
The new station will carry 800 new riders everyday.

"It's been a long time coming," said Minister of Transportation Donna Cansfield. "[The line] has 25,000 riders, not long ago there was nothing here at all."

The station is slated to open next fall, but it took over 15 years of lobbying to get the project approved, said Ward 9 Councillor Pat Saito.

"This was one of the first projects I got involved in when I was elected in 1991," she said.

The station will operate during morning and afternoon rush hour but Saito is working to get all day service.

The Milton Line currently has two tracks.

Saito said, "We are still looking for the third track and I know Bob (Delaney, MPP for Mississauga West) is working on that."

Delaney said, "One of the things I knocked on doors three and a half years ago was to put a GO station here."

A third track would make it possible to move more riders when ridership expands.

This will be the first station to facilitate the new 12-car train. GO is currently using 10-car trains.

Parking at the station will have 900 spaces. The station will be fully accessible to riders with disabilities and it will have a kiss-and-ride for passenger pick up and drop off. There will also be a shelter for waiting passengers.

The Lisgar station is located at 10th Line and Argentia Road.

$7.5 million is being spent to build this facility and the funding is coming from the McGuinty government's $1.3 billion investment into the province's public transit, $830 million of which is going to GO Transit.

The last GO stations built in Mississauga were between Meadowvale and Dixie stations on the Milton Line over 25 years ago.

GO Chair Peter Smith, GTTA Chair Rob McIsaac, Ward 10 Councillor Sue McFadden, Cansfield, Saito and Delaney broke ground at the open field to make way for the new stop.

The new Platform will beside the current #2 track.

Future #3 track will be on the north side of the current #2 and platform when the 3rd track is added.

The platform I hope is built with a tunnel in place as stairs and elevator for future needs to deal with the 3rd track, otherwise headache down the road.

Regarding the third track, they'll have to expand the bridges over the 403, Burnhamthorpe, Hurontario, and the Humber, won't they?

Yes all the bridges have to be upgraded and I hope the govt. is already working on it because we need all day service and new trains now and not in 10 years.

Actually, part of the Milton line can have all day service now even without the third track if GO was willing to pay for it.

The Milton line actually did have midday service in the past but it was taken away thanks to the Harris government cuts to transit funding.

Yes all the bridges have to be upgraded and I hope the govt. is already working on it because we need all day service and new trains now and not in 10 years.

No they don't.

Eglinton Ave, Confederation Dr, Burnhamthorpe, Winston Churchill and Erin Mills are already wide enough for the 3rd track as well Mavis Rd. Add in the 427 bridge also.

Not sure about Dixie Rd and the 403.

There are a few creek bridges to be built along with Hurontario St.

There are 5 grade crossing to be fix.

There is a third track in place now at various locations in Mississauga.

Tough fight for the 3 track will be from Dundas St to Confederation Dr. All those new townhomes that were built the last few years will yelling along with the ones by Hurontario over this 3rd track.

By rights, Dundas overpass needs to be rebuilt for the 3rd track as well as for a station.

GO could run all day service now as it stands, but delays will be higher now compare when midday was cut by good Oh Harris due to more rail traffic.

Based on the EA for Clarkson area, it will take 2 years for an EA study to put the 3rd track in place for various place. Streetsville will be on the list since the tracks cuts it in haft.

Thomas St and Mississauga Rd should be grade separation. in time, so should 10 line.

So can someone please clarify what part of the Milton GO line could already offer all day service if GO could afford it. There's 9 stops on the Milton Line (including Union and Lisgar), so to what station from Union could all day service be offered? Is this just an issue of affordability, or would it be limited-all day service?

My guess would be all-day service to Erindale, simply because that's where it was done in the past.

Back