News   Jul 12, 2024
 302     0 

Green Overpasses

Jarrek

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ontario should have more of these green overpasses in nature sensitive areas:

0000568.jpg

I can't see that overpass being very useful in its current form. The last thing that animals like to do is venture out into a loud open field that lacks any sort of camaflouge or vegetation to hide behind. In theory a good idea, but what it really needs some trees or bushes.

I can't see that overpass being very useful in its current form. The last thing that animals like to do is venture out into a loud open field that lacks any sort of camaflouge or vegetation to hide behind. In theory a good idea, but what it really needs some trees or bushes.

that's what i was thinking. would they also go on the bridge? wouldn't an underpass be better?

They spent millions on something similar in Banff National Park along with an immense fence, only to discover that some animals are vary wary of venturing out in the open to make a crossing over the bridge. Same goes for an underpass - they aren't well received within the animal kingdom.

More reading here.

That image looks like it was taken somewhere in Western Europe - possibly Germany - where departments of Public Works and Infrastructure tend to have way more money than they know what to do with...

In practice, its a waste of money. And does wildlife REALLY need a concrete bridge which can carry its weight in cars? If the purpose was to let animals go over the road, a smaller bridge made to resemble the actual landscape would be more than sufficient.

green "bridges"@cityplace railway lands

Yes that makes sense to cover up the blight/barrier that is the railway tracks. Ideally, cover the whole freaking strip from the 'dome to strachan. But, for starters, a few green bridges would be nice--and allow the annex racoons and squirrels to safely cross into the towerCity and eventually swim over to buffalo;)

would they also go on the bridge? wouldn't an underpass be better?

My understanding (limited as it is) is that it depends on the animal. Some animals prefer to go over, while some prefer to go under. I think it depends on your survival strategy - whether its a flat out run or more of a hide and camoflogue type thing.

Back