Toronto Clear Spirit | 131.36m | 40s | Cityscape | a—A

If i see one more above-ground hydro poles/wires comment, I might actually have to stop visiting online urban forums.

HOLY... :( :confused: :( :confused:

Actually, my comment was meant to defuse the usual phalanx of anti-wooden-pole comments.

Indeed, if the city underwent a mass de-poleing, I'd recommend that a place like the Distillery District be left exempt...

I love the wooden poles on Queen W. but the one in the above photo looks concrete and much taller than those wooden poles.

It's funny, I never really noticed the wires when out and about until this sudden "gah, overhead wires" phase everyone is going through. There are only a few places that they are truly offensive (Dundas St, by the AGO anyone?)

That said, ideally, completely buried would be nice.

55 Mill Street - Distillery District 35/40s

I couldn't see a thread for this specific development app.

If its already covered in one of the other distillery district threads, please merge!

NEW - The September Toronto-East York Community Council has this update, supporting new 35s and 40s towers at the Distillery District, behind (south of) Tank house lane.

Link is here:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2008/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-15122.pdf

Personally....I could do with one nice piece of heritage not overlooked by 40s towers....but that's me.

A report is going to the East York Community Council on September 9th that is recommending that the city appear at the OMB in support of a revised official plan amendment application to permit development of two-residential towers, (35s and 40s tall), with a total of 669 units, and a four storey office and retail structure. Distillery SE Development Corp. scaled down the original proposal from 40s and 48s and submitted the revised application June 23. The OMB hearing is scheduled to begin October 27.

A report is going to the East York Community Council on September 9th that is recommending that the city appear at the OMB in support of a revised official plan amendment application to permit development of two-residential towers, (35s and 40s tall), with a total of 669 units, and a four storey office and retail structure. Distillery SE Development Corp. scaled down the original proposal from 40s and 48s and submitted the revised application June 23. The OMB hearing is scheduled to begin October 27.

It is at:
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2008/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-15122.pdf
and info on preservation is at:
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2008/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-14842.pdf

In the latest condo guide, there is an ad saying that construction is to begin on this building soon. Take that as you may.

from today's National Post...

City dragging its feet on Distillery condo towers, developers say

Posted: September 09, 2008, 9:07 PM by Barry Hertz
Politics, Neighbourhoods, Real estate
By Allison Hanes, National Post

The developers of Toronto’s Distillery District expressed frustration yesterday that the city is dragging its feet approving the details of the final condo towers that will complete the cultural, residential and commercial site.

The city is seeking a $1-million donation to theatre groups, a levy for park space and a delay in construction until the flood plain is reconfigured among other minor concessions before signing off on the $300-million construction of two high-rise condo buildings and a four-storey mixed-use building in the Distillery.

But after investing $50-million up front to restore the Victorian-era brick industrial buildings and transform them into restaurants, stores, galleries, theatres, offices, studios, public squares, walkways and patios, the developers said they have already contributed plenty to the fabric of the city and just wanted to break ground after two years of delays.

“It feels like double dipping on the city’s part,†said Michael McClelland, an architect for the project by Cityscape and Dundee Realty.

“We’ve already done lots of community benefits, probably more community benefits than any other site…. It’s like a memory loss because there’s been a huge amount of commitment already made on the site.â€

The matter goes before the Ontario Municipal Board, which can overrule city decision-making, in October. But Mr. McClelland told the Toronto and East York Community Council that the developers would prefer to sit down with city officials and resolve outstanding issues together.

However after the session, it was unclear yesterday if that sit-down will happen before the hearing — which won’t determine whether the project will proceed, only on what terms and when.

“We’d actually like the city’s cooperation to go ahead ... in a much more smooth way without so much red tape,†Mr. McClelland said. “

Councillor Pam McConnell (Toronto Centre Rosedale) agreed yesterday that the project has been “wrapped in red tape to the point it almost suffocated†since the redevelopment of the disused Gooderham and Worts distillery began in the 1990s.

She gave the developers credit for creating a world-renowned treasure that is Toronto’s newest tourist destination before getting the payoff from the condo towers that make the venture commercially viable but said the city still has a duty to be vigilant.

“I think it’s a balance but it makes it good planning,†she said.

The finishing touches on the Distillery District include 35- and 40-storey towers on the southeast quadrant of the site, including one that will use Tankhouses G and J as a podium for a glass tower. Office and retail space will be included on the ground floors.

David Jackson, a partner in the Distillery and Cityscape, said the city was on board when the major overhaul of the district began and doesn’t understand why they’re holding out now.

“There was a big servicing and restoration component required. We worked with the city. They were great supporters, certainly at the outset, but this last piece has been dficult,†he said. “It’s taken us two years to get to this point.â€

The city is seeking a $1-million donation to theatre groups, a levy for park space and a delay in construction until the flood plain is reconfigured among other minor concessions before signing off on the $300-million construction of two high-rise condo buildings and a four-storey mixed-use building in the Distillery.
Good for them!

“It feels like double dipping on the city’s part,†said Michael McClelland, an architect for the project by Cityscape and Dundee Realty.
TOO BAD.

Squeeze them for all they're worth.

:rolleyes:

^ yes a good way for the city to encourage positive private sector initiated economic development that rehabilitates heritage structures and rejuvenates dilapidated areas - good for the city to delay and delay and squeeze the profit margins by continuing to ask for additional concessions... I'm sure it will leverage additional investment...

The scary thing is that Grey's opinion is probably fairly representative of the City (shudder).

Back