Toronto Clear Spirit | 131.36m | 40s | Cityscape | a—A

You really should stick that last photo in a toronto photo thread over @ SSC or something with the caption "This is in Toronto?! Yep!"... the pedestrian streets are just something else-- brilliant!

:)

I find that the streetwall along the south side of Mill St. to be overiy imposing. I don't know the amount of foot traffic they are expecting along Mill St. (is there any retail planned for the north side?) but it doesn't appear to be very comfortable for pedestrians with that long, uninterupted, 5-6 storey high wall. If the facade varies in design it would be a slight improvement to the monstrosity. Maybe it was a direct intent to steer pedestrians through the Distillery, not around the perimeter, which makes sense.

Waterloo vs. Toronto

Having seen the Seagram Building in Waterloo on Tuesday, and had lunch in the District on Wednesday, I've now been coverted to the plan of the current proposal. I thought the handling of the elements at Seagram, below, was really awkward and horrible, like a bit of Arizona blew in and settled on top of the buildings. Not really all of a part, not really distinct, just blurry and hideous. I think both Pure and Clear Spirit will add a lot to the district, and if a tall glassy structure is what it takes to prevent a Seagrams here, then I haven't any problem with the height (and I was agin' the building at the outset).

Seagram.jpg

Yeah, that addition is unfortunate and your description is accurate. Adobe-Victorian does not quite work.

Pure Spirit progress

Does anyone know or have a rough idea of what floor Pure Spirit is currently at?

Having seen the Seagram Building in Waterloo on Tuesday, and had lunch in the District on Wednesday, I've now been coverted to the plan of the current proposal. I thought the handling of the elements at Seagram, below, was really awkward and horrible, like a bit of Arizona blew in and settled on top of the buildings. Not really all of a part, not really distinct, just blurry and hideous. I think both Pure and Clear Spirit will add a lot to the district, and if a tall glassy structure is what it takes to prevent a Seagrams here, then I haven't any problem with the height (and I was agin' the building at the outset).

That's definitely a crappy addition, but I've never bought the 'I'd rather have this if it means we don't end up with that' kind of reasoning.

This is taller than I expected. I do not pay much attention to floor counts but the rendering certainly made it look kind of stumpy. The end result is certainly not stumpy.

This is taller than I expected. I do not pay much attention to floor counts but the rendering certainly made it look kind of stumpy. The end result is certainly not stumpy.

I agree. The two new towers are going to be absolutely monstrous in comparison.

Back