562     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 851     0 

Good gay-friendly doctors in Toronto

SP!RE

°°°°°°
Member Bio
Reaction score
So it's about time I get a family doctor here in Toronto, preferably downtown.

Does anyone know of any gay-friendly or gay doctors who I'd be able to get set up with as my family doctor?
:( I feel like it could be quite a process.

There's a a lot of answers for things I need and I don't want to talk to my current doctor at the university about most stuff. I am not scared to but he just wouldn't understand.

Would be much appreciated!

I wouldn't mind having a gay doctor as well. Or one who is gay positive.
Heck, I wouldn't mind having a doctor who can speak English fluently.

Yikes. Ermmm... I was more just thinking a doctor who is gay so that he can answer all my questions accurately, without bias, etc. ;)

Dont forget about Hastle Free Clinic for all of your emergency "burning" issues. Seriously however, a friend of mine went there and they refered him to a gay friendly doctor, so you might want to call them.

I just wish my doctor wasn't a substance abuser. Not to mention, he gropes me and asks somewhat inappropriate questions.

Just curious though, why would sexuality be of relevence?

Well I was always of the frame of mind that "my sexuality has no relevance to who my doctor is" but I am realizing that I want to be able to openly discuss sexual activities with my doctor without feeling really awkward-- and knowing that he/she won't have a bias against things.

With most health stuff it's not an issue, but things come up in everyone's lifetime which relates to their sex life, and I want to get real, well-informed answers to my questions.

That's about as much detail as I feel comfortable going into ;)

Spire it makes total sense. I've had a straight family doctor most of my life who, while quite progressive, was maybe just a tad "out of touch" on some gay issues. More recently I've started seeing a gay doctor and I feel quite comfortable being able to tell him most anything.

One issue...if you find yourself even a smidgen attracted to your "gay doctor" you may have as hard a time divulging personal things to him as you would a straight doctor. Something to consider.

Last edited:
SP!RE:

You might want to check out Hassle Free first and gauge your own level of comfort - and yes, being asked/talking about your sex life in a professional way for health reasons is de rigeur there.

AoD

I've been to Hassle Free-- they are good.

Currently searching for a family doctor... but I've heard it's next to impossible-- lots of waiting lists at the clinics like Sherbourne Health Clinic which is gay-friendly.

Last edited:
Dont forget about Hastle Free Clinic for all of your emergency "burning" issues. Seriously however, a friend of mine went there and they refered him to a gay friendly doctor, so you might want to call them.

To support the above suggestion that is how I found my straight but gay-friendly GP back in the 80's, been with him ever since. I phoned Hassle Free, asked & they gave me four or five names and numbers. My current Doctor was the first number that I called and he was taking new patients so I may have lucked out as he's a great GP IMO. He made me feel comfortable in the beginning so I never felt there wasn't anything I couldn't talk or ask him about. I do hear it's more difficult now to find a GP now, period.

Back