554     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 847     0 

Golden Mile Secondary Plan Study

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I didn't seen another accessible thread for this, though I'm sure we've discussed aspects of this plan is various threads.

So, without further adieu, This thread is to discuss the Golden Mile Secondary Plan Study.

The Planning and Housing Committee will consider a request to slightly expand the area of the study to the west, to O'Connor Drive in order to finish certain work caused by the new preferred alternative road system.

Report Link Here:

A separate and more comprehensive report outlines the preferred alternatives to date:

Parks and Open Space Plan is below, but clearly shows the envisioned road grid, which is very different from what exists today.

Anyone have a sense of why it's preferred to have a staggered intersection at Warden between Civic Rd and the O'Connor Drive-extension, as opposed to a mid-block jog of either road to result in a 4-way intersection?

Anyone have a sense of why it's preferred to have a staggered intersection at Warden between Civic Rd and the O'Connor Drive-extension, as opposed to a mid-block jog of either road to result in a 4-way intersection?

To discourage through traffic or because property owners south of Civic Road wouldn't permit changes to their lots?

Oh, that's O'Connor! Gosh! That's probably a smart change! Amusingly, if they build this, they'll have to rename the O'Connor stop on Line 5, which won't be anywhere near O'Connor. With some talk of moving the Science Centre (and/or putting a big development between Science Centre station and the Science Centre), might be a few name changes yet!

Oh, that's O'Connor! Gosh! That's probably a smart change! Amusingly, if they build this, they'll have to rename the O'Connor stop on Line 5, which won't be anywhere near O'Connor. With some talk of moving the Science Centre (and/or putting a big development between Science Centre station and the Science Centre), might be a few name changes yet!
I was just thinking this today. The Flemingdon Park station would be closer to Ontario Science Centre than the OSC station at the intersection of Eglinton and Don Mills.

This alignment for O'Connor does make a lot of sense. I look forward for this entire area being high-rise.

From Councillor Brad Bradford's Newsletter:

Join us at the Community Consultation Meeting to participate in Phase 3 (final phase) of the Study, which will include:
  • an update on the status of the Study;
  • a summary of the proposed infrastructure improvements (big moves);
  • a draft final demonstration concept showing how the principles of the Secondary Plan can be achieved;
  • proposed character areas envisioned by the Secondary Plan;
  • a summary of how the Secondary Plan can be implemented; and
  • next steps for the Study.
For more information on the study, please refer to the website.

Tuesday, June 25
6:00 p.m. Open House
7:00 p.m. Community Meeting
Wilmar Heights Event Centre - Encore Hall, 963 Pharmacy Ave (Entrance at the rear, via Elm Bank Road)

Holy crow! I didn’t even recognize the area without that derelict mall at Eg and Vic Park. I missed the O’Conner extension too.

Please let's not wade into that debate again.
I take it you saw right through my guise. ?

However I am fully serious when I say that the market may dictate that residential and commercial/economic development takes place here at this location, instead of other more politically invested areas of Scarborough,.

This Golden Mile Secondary Plan was just a big missed opportunity all around. Literally all it's making room for is mass ~150m tall condos with 4-5 story podiums repeated X times across a 2km stretch separated with poorly placed "parks".

I wont get into whether this should be/should have been Scarborough's city centre, but what I will say is that i'm utterly ashamed of our city planners for coming up with this non-sense. No one needs a degree in planning to come up with what they did after all those years of "careful thought".

This Golden Mile Secondary Plan was just a big missed opportunity all around. Literally all it's making room for is mass ~150m tall condos with 4-5 story podiums repeated X times across a 2km stretch separated with poorly placed "parks".

I wont get into whether this should be/should have been Scarborough's city centre, but what I will say is that i'm utterly ashamed of our city planners for coming up with this non-sense. No one needs a degree in planning to come up with what they did after all those years of "careful thought".

Could you elaborate on what you see as the gross deficiencies.

I have some concerns myself, but you're being rather more critical at this stage than I.

For the record, my principle concern at this stage is that the road grid, particularly some of the northern sections could be a great deal more fine grained (no N-S street(s) between Hakimi and Pharmacy, amongst other locations, strikes me as problematic).

Last edited:
This is a real opportunity to develop a downtown in Scarborough.

On a serious note, I'm not sure it's possible to create one downtown for Scarborough. The way things are going, several large nodes are emerging - STC, Golden Mile and Don Mills - Eglinton. Scarborough will probably have several local centres, as opposed to one main centre. In this respect, Scarborough is following the path of North York. Where North York has North York Centre, Scarborough will have the stretch of Eglinton between Don Mills and Kennedy; Fairview Mall and STC also mirror each other.

Does the city have any plans to redevelop the area around Kennedy Station? I would have thought there would be something similar to GMSP in place for Kennedy given the excellent transit connections. A lot of aging low density stock can be redeveloped around Kennedy.

On a serious note, I'm not sure it's possible to create one downtown for Scarborough. The way things are going, several large nodes are emerging - STC, Golden Mile and Don Mills - Eglinton. Scarborough will probably have several local centres, as opposed to one main centre. In this respect, Scarborough is following the path of North York. Where North York has North York Centre, Scarborough will have the stretch of Eglinton between Don Mills and Kennedy; Fairview Mall and STC also mirror each other.

Does the city have any plans to redevelop the area around Kennedy Station? I would have thought there would be something similar to GMSP in place for Kennedy given the excellent transit connections. A lot of aging low density stock can be redeveloped around Kennedy.
The area around Kennedy Station is surprisingly inaccessible/hostile for pedestrians, IMO. I don't think simple development can do much to improve the public realm near there. Luckily the Crosstown will provide a rapid route to the transit hub at Kennedy Station.

As for creating a downtown in Scarborough, I agree it won't be like Toronto's downtown and more like several large nodes that are not necessarily even well connected to one-another, but in regards to the Golden Mile, the area between Victoria Park and Birchmount is roughly equivalent in size to the perimeter of Spadina to Jarvis, and Queen to Front.

Back