News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 839     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Good to see Metrolinx finally being able to slowly introduce more service, even if it is a slow trickle of new trips. Hopefully we see more soon (LSW Express trips would be lovely!)

Your wish is granted! 2 eastbound and 2 westbound express trips from/to Clarkson starting Oct 31.

Starting Monday, Oct. 31, four rush hour express trips return on the Lakeshore West line.

• On weekdays, two additional eastbound trips will depart Hamilton GO Centre at 5:51 a.m. and 6:21 a.m., arriving at Union Station at 7 a.m. and 7:30 a.m.
  • Two additional westbound trips will depart Union Station at 3:47 p.m. and 5:47 p.m., arriving at Hamilton GO Centre at 4:58 p.m. and 6:58 p.m.

great! but talk about useless times! You think they would have put their busiest trains as express trips.. (typically ~8:30-9am arrivals in the morning and 4:30-5pm departures in the afternoon)

These 4 express trips all solidly fall outside of normal commute hours, particularly the evening trains.

The good news is that Metrolinx seems to now be introducing trickles of new trips every few weeks, presumably as engineers graduate from training, so hopefully they can incrementally fill in the core hour express route trips soon.

great! but talk about useless times! You think they would have put their busiest trains as express trips.. (typically ~8:30-9am arrivals in the morning and 4:30-5pm departures in the afternoon)

These 4 express trips all solidly fall outside of normal commute hours, particularly the evening trains.

The good news is that Metrolinx seems to now be introducing trickles of new trips every few weeks, presumably as engineers graduate from training, so hopefully they can incrementally fill in the core hour express route trips soon.

Yeah agreed they're not the best times, but I'm on the one that currently arrives at 7:30am and it's pretty full (mostly all 4 seats in a group occupied) so that one at least makes a bit of sense. 5:47pm might be on the tail end of rush hour.

Based on the current trends, it doesn't look like it's gonna happen anytime soon...
It was a random announcement that was made by Omar Alghabra when he (and Trudeau) were running for re-election. It was an announcement made without prior notice or consultation with the Ontario Government, and overall was more of an empty promise to try and win a snap-election rather than a proper commitment that we can expect any proper action with in the coming years (especially since this is the Feds we're talking about, getting transit projects done is uh... not their strong suit, to say the least). Will it happen? Maybe, in fact hopefully it does, however I would take the announcement with a grain of salt.

A proposal, not a plan.

This past summer, CN imposed some tough restrictions on its own use of the Guelph & Galt. Suffice it to say, no passenger train will be using that line at more than 10 mph without a great deal of upgrading. Even if funding were available, It would likely take until 2025 or beyond to fix the underlying problem.

- Paul
The Metrolinx acquisition of the Guelph Sub couldn't happen sooner enough!
P.S. Is the radio standby channel for the Metrolinx portion of the Guelph Sub between Georgetown and Kitchener still GEXR 1, or has it been upgraded to one of the GO NXDN channels? Is the channel for the CN portion of the sub still CN 1? I have not been in Toronto since April, and being the ham radio operator/scanner enthusiast as I am, I am curious.

P.S. Is the radio standby channel for the Metrolinx portion of the Guelph Sub between Georgetown and Kitchener still GEXR 1, or has it been upgraded to one of the GO NXDN channels? Is the channel for the CN portion of the sub still CN 1? I have not been in Toronto since April, and being the ham radio operator/scanner enthusiast as I am, I am curious.
On that topic, is the USRC still on CN 1, or is it something else now?

Screenshot_2022-10-27_085243.jpg

What was the point of this change?! At this point they’re just trolling us with the lack of changes on the Kitchener corridor in general.
I'm sure someone is happy they can get an extra 5 minutes sleep.

Though a bigger issue, is that they've cut off the 4 eastbound bus arrivals at Union after 9:35 pm on weekends.

GO15 up to Bramalea
CN1 Bramalea to Silver
Gexr1 silver to Sturm
Cn1 Sturm to London

Back