News   Dec 02, 2021
 62     0 
News   Dec 02, 2021
 478     0 
News   Dec 02, 2021
 894     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Maybe it's to aid on-time performance through better acceleration? You would be surprised how much travel time represents the difference between once loco and six cars (which has the same power-to-weight ratio as 2 locos+12 cars) and the same loco with twelve cars...

There is no such connection between the Galt Sub and any platform track at Bloor, to the best of my knowledge...
Your right.
As I was working on some photos last night I realizes that the switch is for the 2nd Milton tracks (5 & 6) and no connection to Track 4 for the Bloor station. The other thing I should have caught what the next 2 stations were as they are on the KW line, not Milton

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
As well most classes don't go past 6 pm so the train back makes sense for Friday night.
Unless it's changed since I was a student, classes end at 4:30 - other than the dreaded 6 pm to 9 pm evening spot - but I only ever had a couple of those over the years there.

That would be a similar reasoning as for why VIA always has two units on its Winnipeg-Churchill service, since the lack of road coverage would only leave helicopters for evacuation...
Gosh, does that mean VIA had to barge out TWO locomotives after the flooding and suspension of the line, with a train trapped in Churchill? Talk about bad luck ...

Last edited:

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
That would be a similar reasoning as for why VIA always has two units on its Winnipeg-Churchill service, since the lack of road coverage would only leave helicopters for evacuation...

I was on the Algoma Central train heading back south from Hearst in 2014. The locomotive had a serious problem. Luckily, we were just approaching Oba, so we had a general CN freight locomotive stationed at the yard there to haul our disabled train the rest of the way back to Sault Ste. Marie.

Bordercollie

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was on the Algoma Central train heading back south from Hearst in 2014. The locomotive had a serious problem. Luckily, we were just approaching Oba, so we had a general CN freight locomotive stationed at the yard there to haul our disabled train the rest of the way back to Sault Ste. Marie.
So I guess at that time CN operated both trains? So you didn't need a new crew to take you home?

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
So I guess at that time CN operated both trains? So you didn't need a new crew to take you home?

CN owned and operated the ACR since the mid 2000s. The slow ride into Oba and the switch of locomotives added time - a new relief crew met the train at Searchmont, so we were pretty late getting back into the Soo.

Deadpool X

Member Bio
Reaction score
Why are there no plans for having Milton trains stop at Bloor station? Is it because that line already stops at Kipling station and anyone that wants to use subway can get off at Kipling?

reaperexpress

Member Bio
Reaction score
Why are there no plans for having Milton trains stop at Bloor station? Is it because that line already stops at Kipling station and anyone that wants to use subway can get off at Kipling?
Yes. The subway takes only marginally longer than the GO train between Kipling and Dundas West. The subway is slower but also more direct. So with such a minor benefit it wouldn't be worth the considerable cost of widening the corridor to fit a third island platform, nor would it be worth the capacity/reliability impacts of an at-grade manoeuvre to the existing platforms.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score

For a long time, GO has felt that only a single subway connection on each line was sufficient. And with the connection at Kipling, another one at Bloor wasn't required in their mind.

Now, however, there simply isn't enough room to allow for platforms on the Milton Line.

Dan

Nomad_87

Member Bio
Reaction score
Apparently 11 people got off at Stratford last night so it seems to be a slight improvement in ridership.
To be honest I can see Stratford getting more use out of it than London. For them having significantly another means of accessing Kitchener, Guelph and beyond is undeniably a net positive. Plus maybe if they need to I wonder if they could maybe fit in a new yard in Stratford

felix123

Member Bio
Reaction score
For a long time, GO has felt that only a single subway connection on each line was sufficient. And with the connection at Kipling, another one at Bloor wasn't required in their mind.

Now, however, there simply isn't enough room to allow for platforms on the Milton Line.

Dan
Can Milton line trains potentially switch tracks to share platforms with the Kitchener line at Bloor?