News   Nov 30, 2021
 2     0 
News   Nov 30, 2021
 200     0 
News   Nov 30, 2021
 191     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Krypto98

Member Bio
Reaction score
30 min to Mount Pleasant and 60 min to Georgetown would be the dream service to have, even if the latter is far from a TOD, and the former is all about that. I guess we gotta wait until Kitchener gets hourly all day service for that to happen.

That’s one thing i did notice. Triplinx, Transit App, and Apple/Google Maps are all telling me different things, but the 30 min service thing is consistent on all of them. It’s unfortunate if this was added too early maybe and we might get the service later on? They were also really low key about it, as the focus is more on the London extension if anything, but i’m 100% sure people would prefer the increased service news more…
I believe 30 minutes to Mount Pleasant would require extra tracks at Brampton Go

Krypto98

Member Bio
Reaction score
Quick order-of-magnitude benefits of this new raised speed limit for the 1 mile (1.6 km) zone through Guelph:

1 mile @ 10 mph = 6 minutes
1 mile @ 45 mph = 1.3 minutes

Net time savings: 4.7 minutes

The trains of course need to accelerate from 10 mph to 45 mph within Guelph, but that should approximately cancel out with the time they used to need to accelerate from 10 mph to 45 mph west of Guelph (en route to 70 mph).

Kitchener Station - Guelph Station travel times assuming a conservative 3-minute improvement:
Current: 21 minutes (63.6 km/h average)
December: 18 minutes (74.2 km/h average)
By comparison, Google Maps estimates the car driving time at 29 minutes without traffic.

Once Kitchener Central Station opens (providing easy access to GO trains from across Waterloo Region) and Guelph Station gets its second platform (allowing hourly all-day train service), I expect that GO will capture a sizeable chunk of the Kitchener-Guelph travel market.

A 3-minute improvement would reduce the Kitchener to Toronto travel time to 1h38 for express trains (63 km/h average) and 1h46 for local trains (58 km/h average). We've come a long way from the 2+ hour travel times when the service was first introduced.

__

On a semi-related note, I happened across this description of speed limits on the Guelph Subdivision (London-Georgetown) in a TSB report on a derailment in 2004:

So it sounds like welding the rails would indeed be a prerequisite to getting the Kitchener-London speeds back up to the historical 70 mph (112 km/h), up from the current 30 mph (50 km/h) and 40 mph (64 km/h) speed restrictions.
I did some basic calculations assuming a speed upgrade on the London-Kitchener Segment to an average of 85km/hr and with your calculation for guelph
Time savings.png
An upgrade to the London - Kitchener Segment of the line would save at least 45 minutes and maybe an hour depending how fast they can get the tracks to. The potential upgrades at Georgetown could also save another 10 minutes but aren't shown here. the total time would then be 2hr 35 minutes for London-Toronto and 1hr 28 minutes for Kitchener - Toronto.
Also for anyone interested here are the current average speeds for the local stops between Bramalea - Union
Average speeds.png

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

anb

Member Bio
Reaction score
So i guess the service is coming soon in a few months because there’s no way they would input the data this early if it wasn’t. Maybe they are saving it for January to start off 2022 or waiting until Malton’s construction finishes as i’m sure they can still run 2 way 30 min trains despite the 401/409 tunnel not complete yet.

Krypto98

Member Bio
Reaction score
So i guess the service is coming soon in a few months because there’s no way they would input the data this early if it wasn’t. Maybe they are saving it for January to start off 2022 or waiting until Malton’s construction finishes as i’m sure they can still run 2 way 30 min trains despite the 401/409 tunnel not complete yet.
The schedule is also supposed to change in January to reflect the Guelph time savings as well. So likely the 30 minute bramalea mid-day trains will be added then. Plus a few universities such as Ryerson and UofT will be fully in person in January

Reactions: anb

Krypto98

Member Bio
Reaction score
At the current moment, trains are switching tracks to the 2 south tracks to/from Etobicoke North at Humberview instead of Nickel. This is because of the platform construction at Weston Go

Reactions: anb

Urban Sky

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's better than Niagara's 19 people on its first trip. I wonder how many are getting off at kitchener/guelph. I doubt all of them would do the full route
They don't have to: it's only our North American conception of "Commuter Rail" which tells us that its passengers' trips have to either originate or end at the metropolitan terminus...

Krypto98

Member Bio
Reaction score
They don't have to: it's only our North American conception of "Commuter Rail" which tells us that its passengers' trips have to either originate or end at the metropolitan terminus...
Most of the weekday Niagara falls train users got off at Hamilton/Burlington or even Oakville. Toronto isn't the only employment center in Ontario

christiesplits

Member Bio
Reaction score
How has GO Transit ridership declined during COVID-19 relative to other GTHA transit agencies?

I would expect that it would have dropped the steepest, due to their ridership typically having a higher proportion of commuters than other transit services, and a higher proportion of blue collar employees who can typically work from home.