News   Apr 19, 2024
 186     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 489     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 841     3 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

Considering that as of now, MX has stated no EMUs for electrification, I expect that, along with the fact MX seems to want to run Pearson trains past Union onto other lines, we will see electric locos + BiLevels on the Pearson Sub.

However I still have my worries on whether the Pearson bridge can support the heavier electric locos

Considering that as of now, MX has stated no EMUs for electrification, I expect that, along with the fact MX seems to want to run Pearson trains past Union onto other lines, we will see electric locos + BiLevels on the Pearson Sub.

However I still have my worries on whether the Pearson bridge can support the heavier electric locos
I believe there is a plan to build a station before the airport spur

I believe there is a plan to build a station before the airport spur
That the Woodbine Station and already behind schedule being built to replace Etobicoke North Station.

At the same time, can't add the 4th track to match the 401/409 tunnels until Etobicoke North Station is remove or a change to match the track in place for the industrial track. Doing that has a safety issue for the current pedestrians crossing.

Then there are the stations doors that were build for the DMU if they will match the bi-level doors spacing, but not floor heights.

Given the timeframe that the DMU's were to be EMU's and where we are today, are 2 different things with an unknown date when it will happen. Maybe ML will have to find some use locomotives that would be able to run on the elevated line if none of the exist fleet can do the job until the line is electrify. Not my field for motor power and weight ratio to the elevated line.

This is what you get for rushing a project and not using the correct equipment from day one. A lot of I told you so are laughing over this mess. Going after the Pan Am games has really bit the rear of everyone.

I'm not following this comment. There will not be any GO Bi-level to EMU conversions; it's not structurally practical.

If you expect Alstom to replace UPX with a new EMU rolling stock, it would also very likely be lighter than the UPX rolling stock. I very much expect Alstom/DB to phase out UPX trains at the absolute earliest opportunity and electric locomotives are quite simple to design and build.
Actually it is definitely doable, some EMUs (many actually) are composed of a mix of motor and trailer cars - New Jersey Transit is converting their BBD Multilevels into EMUs using new motor and power cars which look similar and pop into existing consists! This would actually be a pretty interesting solution for GO.

https://www.railwayage.com/passenge...-with-nj-transit-for-multilevel-iii-contract/

Well, they won't put a train on the guideway if it isn't strong enough. When they started using some larger trains in Vancouver on the SkyTrain they had to reinforce old sections of guideway, its certainly possible.

Actually it is definitely doable, some EMUs (many actually) are composed of a mix of motor and trailer cars - New Jersey Transit is converting their BBD Multilevels into EMUs using new motor and power cars which look similar and pop into existing consists! This would actually be a pretty interesting solution for GO.

https://www.railwayage.com/passenge...-with-nj-transit-for-multilevel-iii-contract/

Well, they won't put a train on the guideway if it isn't strong enough. When they started using some larger trains in Vancouver on the SkyTrain they had to reinforce old sections of guideway, its certainly possible.
That articles is from 2019. When are they going to be delivered? And why is bombardier crying poor about not having orders if they have options for 800 more cars.

That articles is from 2019. When are they going to be delivered? And why is bombardier crying poor about not having orders if they have options for 800 more cars.
Google around, probably pretty soon? I would guess they can't be built in Thunder Bay if they are going to US? Buy America requires final assembly in the US

New Jersey Transit is converting their BBD Multilevels into EMUs using new motor and power cars which look similar and pop into existing consists!
That isn’t what happening, NJT is actually ordering brand new EMUs with the Multilevel design, they are not converting already existing Multilevels into EMUs.

This would actually be a pretty interesting solution for GO.
The concept is potentially applicable to Toronto, but the equipment is absolutely not. It is not well suited to the type of frequent-stop commuter service that many want GO to aspire to (and which it hopes to achieve). Even in Montréal the equipment has garnered large numbers of complaints from passengers and crews due to narrow doorways and limited exits.

Google around, probably pretty soon? I would guess they can't be built in Thunder Bay if they are going to US? Buy America requires final assembly in the US
The first cars are already being built at La Pocatière, not Thunder Bay.

That isn’t what happening, NJT is actually ordering brand new EMUs with the Multilevel design, they are not converting already existing Multilevels into EMUs.
You're right, but it's.......complicated.

While it's true that they are not converting currently existing equipment, the plan is to operate these new powered Multilevels in consists with the existing equipment. Some of the planning documents have shown a 3-car couplet composed of an existing cab car, a new powered Multilevel, and an existing coach in a semi-permanent arrangement, and to which 1 or more 3-car couplet(s) would then be attached to.

Dan

I am under the understanding that EMUs will not be used initially, and that locomotives will be used instead. I wonder if this means all the new locomotives will be bi-mode electric and diesel, or if there would be a mixture between the hybrid ones and electric only ones.

So what model(s) of locomotive do you reckon are likely? I would assume Alstom models. Perhaps they could be custom Traxx trains with significant diesel power, like a modern version of the ALP-45DP. Electric only models could just be regular Traxx locos. Or will they come up with some "made in Canada" (not just physically but design wise) solution?

Edit: If they are modifying the cars can they please install some time of gap filler so we can build level platforms?

I wonder if this means all the new locomotives will be bi-mode electric and diesel, or if there would be a mixture between the hybrid ones and electric only ones.
Afaik the locos will be electric only, and the diesel sections will be operated with the current diesel locomotives.
Edit: If they are modifying the cars can they please install some time of gap filler so we can build level platforms?
I believe GO is planning on moving the current fixed steps on the BiLevels to allow them to raise the platforms to 610 mm ATR (matching the current accessbility car platforms)

Afaik the locos will be electric only, and the diesel sections will be operated with the current diesel locomotives.

I believe GO is planning on moving the current fixed steps on the BiLevels to allow them to raise the platforms to 610 mm ATR (matching the current accessbility car platforms)

Seems kind of silly to me to have both shiny new electric locomotives running with the diesel trains. Would there be any issues with the old trains being slower and slowing the new trains down? Or am I worrying about a issue that doesn't exist?

Seems kind of silly to me to have both shiny new electric locomotives running with the diesel trains. Would there be any issues with the old trains being slower and slowing the new trains down? Or am I worrying about a issue that doesn't exist?
Different locomotive types do indeed have different performance, but there are also plenty of other variables which can cancel that out. Most notably the stopping pattern and the train length.

Electric trains will be initially used on local services (e.g. to Bramalea) while diesel trains are used on longer-distance express services (e.g. to Kitchener/London). So increasing the discrepancy in locomotive performance will actually decrease the discrepancy in average speed between services by speeding up the all-stops trains. GO can also continue to play with the performance characteristics by balancing the number of coaches per locomotive like they currently do with the F59 locomotives.

Taken just now. 206 lashed up to a train, facing the wrong way, and behind a loco. But looks like more serious testing starting.

52707C4E-87FE-42B0-87AC-412484A4061A.jpeg

Taken just now. 206 lashed up to a train, facing the wrong way, and behind a loco. But looks like more serious testing starting.

View attachment 456801
Apparently the MP40 (613), is out of service.

Also I don’t think GO would be testing it as the last coach facing backwards. However the interior lights seem to be on so maybe appears to be some small testing?

Back