News   Mar 28, 2024
 984     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 554     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 846     0 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

What relics are you referring to, exactly? With the exception of the two EMD switchers, VIA's oldest locomotives are 35 years old, the F40PH. For locomotives, which are built to very heavy standards and can withstand a lot, this seems like a reasonable general timeframe to be replacing them in. When exactly would you have replaced them???
all the hep cars and lrc cars which make up the vast majority of our fleet. they belong in a museum or tourist train. not mainline service, especially as a so called developed nation

Perhaps you should specify that in your post next time, considering both the post you quoted and the one you initially responded with referenced locos, not rail cars.

I will grant you the point of the HEP cars, rolling stock from the 40s and 50s indeed should not be in regular service anymore. The LRC cars are half their age and lumping them in together is absolutely ludicrous. And I hark back to my comments about the GO BiLevels from some time ago: provided the rolling stock is well maintained, you can still get another decade or two of useful service out of a 40 year old coach. Many "developed" countries do and the sky hasn't fallen there. Calling such cars "walking dead" rolling stock smells of elitism.

Perhaps you should specify that in your post next time, considering both the post you quoted and the one you initially responded with referenced locos, not rail cars.

I will grant you the point of the HEP cars, rolling stock from the 40s and 50s indeed should not be in regular service anymore. The LRC cars are half their age and lumping them in together is absolutely ludicrous. And I hark back to my comments about the GO BiLevels from some time ago: provided the rolling stock is well maintained, you can still get another decade or two of useful service out of a 40 year old coach. Many "developed" countries do and the sky hasn't fallen there. Calling such cars "walking dead" rolling stock smells of elitism.
if you read my first sentence carefully you wouldve seen this:

"considering we are paying a hefty price to scrape the living out of the HEP fleet just to keep them alive is proof enouigh that the frugalness in the long term doesnt work"

considering we are paying a hefty price to scrape the living out of the HEP fleet just to keep them alive is proof enouigh that the frugalness in the long term doesnt work. try replacing these end of life relics now with the parts shortages and extreme inflation. we have no choice but to contiunue to waste money on these obsolete dinos.
Apart from structure lifespan and serviceability/parts supply, newer coaches have train management systems and have accessibility and amenities designed in at conception. Some of the improvements in modern coaches, even if refittable, would drive the refit cost to the point where a new coach would be just as expensive but with full structural lifespan. So decisions are taken that some passengers get the new shiny even if not deliverable as a refit contract to a politically advantageous location, and others don’t.

There’s also an option in the contract to extend it to a total of 33 new locomotives, but I’m not sure if this affects on weather it’ll be second hand or brand new ones.
That makes it lean towards the new side considering there aren't that many one singular type of used locos still waiting. But if the contract is awarded to a leasing company or something that rosters a bunch of used locomotives then they could provide more than one type of locomotive.

Can't recall if this has already been posted here.

1671128090054.png

That I believe is the F69PHAC locomotive that Amtrak tested out (and ultimately decided to not continue forward with them)

Would've been interesting to see in GO service

It is an F69PHAC - or rather, an early rendering of it.

Amtrak tested those two prototypes, but they were never intended to be anything more than testbeds for EMD to test the design. But......EMD did also offer a similar loco to Amtrak during the process that resulted in the AMD103 - later known as the P32DM-AC, P40DC and P42DC. EMD obviously lost that tender, but that didn't mean that they didn't go around trying to sell locos to anyone who'd listen, including GO.

Dan

Can't recall when I last saw an Series 2 cab on the rear of an Lakeshore line, but a long time., Saw 2 today on westbound trains. Shot the first one, but couldn't get a shot of the 2nd one nor its number. Its was also the first time I seen 2 cab cars on the same train where one was the cab and the other a coach behind the cab car.

Both trains car car were on point of the westbound trains at Port Credit.

Best line to have the Series 2 Cab Cars on since more are being put back into service to meet service improvements.

Can't recall when I last saw an Series 2 cab on the rear of an Lakeshore line, but a long time., Saw 2 today on westbound trains. Shot the first one, but couldn't get a shot of the 2nd one nor its number. Its was also the first time I seen 2 cab cars on the same train where one was the cab and the other a coach behind the cab car.

Both trains car car were on point of the westbound trains at Port Credit.

Best line to have the Series 2 Cab Cars on since more are being put back into service to meet service improvements.
I believe you are referring to some of the 7 Series 8 cab cars that GO have retained since the introduction of the Series 10 CEM cab cars, numbered 251-257. Those have been in service for more than an entire year since the service increases back in summer of 2021.

Series 2 refers to the 15 cab cars refurbished at ONR, those being numbers 200-214

Last edited:
I believe you are referring to some of the 7 Series 8 cab cars that GO have retained since the introduction of the Series 10 CEM cab cars, numbered 251-257. Those have been in service for more than an entire year since the service increases back in summer of 2021.

Series 2 refers to the 15 cab cars refurbished at ONR, those being numbers 200-214
My mistake on the series and too quick to type.

251-57 been floating around for years on other lines, but haven't seen them on the Lakeshore lines in years until today.

My mistake on the series and too quick to type.

251-57 been floating around for years on other lines, but haven't seen them on the Lakeshore lines in years until today.
They’ve been on the Lakeshore lines for a while. Like the other poster said: at least a year now. It’s even common to see them on weekends.

They’ve been on the Lakeshore lines for a while. Like the other poster said: at least a year now. It’s even common to see them on weekends.
Well others may have seen them, I haven't and why my comment. Any train watching or seeing them has been on low scale this years with others things going on stopping me

Back