News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 674     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 938     0 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

It will be nice to return to shorter, faster trains off-peak.

I wonder why GO avoids 8-car trains... the only recent example I can think of is the 2014-2019 Niagara Weekend service. Other than that they only use 6, 10 or 12 packs.
You'd think that some of the 10 car trains could actually be 8 cars, improving acceleration.

I do not know if it’s in service, but I’d suspect there will be a decently lengthy testing period first. It is the first refurbished cab that ONTC sent south, so I’d suspect it will undergo rigorous testing to ensure that the others still in North Bay don’t need modifications. We might see it leading some not-in-service trains to make sure all works.

On the bright side, once it is deemed “ok”, I suspect GO should take delivery of a whole bunch more in rapid succession. Lots seem to be done or close to done.

This is a response to various postings in other threads about GO equipment and will post my comment here for it where it should be

No matter where we were on our trip this summer, saw a mixture of various type of equipment from DMU to HS.

In Brussels, saw coaches added to double deck train with electric power pulling it. Most places have DD with a cab car at one end and electric power or diesel doing the push/pull thing like GO. Some trains were 3-4 cars long that either rain as a set or up to 5 sets

Netherlands run Sprinter trains as 4 car sets from Stadler/CAF that run as a single set or double, but mostly double. Did a see a 6 car train. Intercity trains ran as a 4 car set either single level or DD to 9 single level cars with electric power at each end. There are DD trains of the same length as well.

Both Belgium and Denmark have ICM DMU and EMU that can be spilt into 2 or more trains depending on their requirement. Found out on our trip on an DMU ICM that it became 3 sets and saw it break apart on the fly.

All the HS speed trains ran as a 2 set that were 7-11 cars long on trains from 15-22 cars long. All systems ran various types of DD trains as well EMU trains

End of the day, there is nothing stopping GO from having a mixture of equipment until the system is electrify or as plan. Even after the system is electrify, still can run a mixture of trains until existing rolling stock is replace as needed. Ridership will dictate the type of equipment for each line as well the quality of service. Trains using CN/CP line will be diesel/electric or another combination until such time both RR allow an overhead system in their corridor

Stadler

"How do you know these trains are girls? I hope you were not doing inappropriate things with these trains when you were "working" for GO."

LMAO, funniest comment of this week. Btw the trains are a little too big for me but I can deal lol😉

So I spoke to someone at Metrolinx and was told 15 of the series 2 cars are being restored to cab cars, along with 9 of the series 7 being restored.

Seems I was wrong and none are being "wasted"
Would be interesting to know if there is a broader plan or whether they are just marking time. The burst of enthusiasm for building CEM cabs appears to have passed, but if there was a notion of having locomotives at both ends of future hybrid or electric consists, squeezing a bit more life out of Series 2 cabs in the meantime might make economic sense. But I wonder what the locomotive engineers think about it - wasn’t one of the selling points of the CEMs a much better driving cabin?

Would be interesting to know if there is a broader plan or whether they are just marking time. The burst of enthusiasm for building CEM cabs appears to have passed, but if there was a notion of having locomotives at both ends of future hybrid or electric consists, squeezing a bit more life out of Series 2 cabs in the meantime might make economic sense. But I wonder what the locomotive engineers think about it - wasn’t one of the selling points of the CEMs a much better driving cabin?
in the UK, most passenger trains that I have seen have the Series 2 cab/UPX DMU 3000's cab at one end with power at the other end that are 3-9 cars long. Seen a few in Europe. Most of Europe use an CEM type cab at one end with power at the other end.

The Series 2 Cab offer less space for an engineer than CEM. Europe and the UK don't have conductors like we do with riders sitting across from the engineer in place of an conductor.

CEM cab style can be found on EMU/DMU at both end that are power with only the driver in it in Europe. Since the law of NA require 2 person cabs, the Series 2 cabs are setup that way with a door blocking riders to them.

CEM vs Series 2 is safety for everyone at the end of the day dealing with freight traffic than GO Trains, but still safety at the end of the day. The Series 2 cabs will mostly be assign to ML corridors only from my point of view. See no issues with it until it decided what the fleet will look like in the coming decades and electrifying the system. Once we move to 15 minute service, most trains will be less than 10 cars long with a lot of 6 packs off peak.

Back