News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 693     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 945     0 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

I have a question. What is this odd block looking piece on top of the go transit mp40ph’s?
I noticed more units are appearing with them on the roof, and the engines are quieter with that piece installed.View attachment 419455
It’s a tier 3 filter I believe. And it was put in place after studies showed that people in the coaches closest to the locomotive are more susceptible to emissions emanating from the engine.

It’s a tier 3 filter I believe. And it was put in place after studies showed that people in the coaches closest to the locomotive are more susceptible to emissions emanating from the engine.
oh does that tier 3 filter also eliminate the engine noise. Because I noticed the mp40’s sound quieter than they used to.

There are plenty of EMUs with low floors. The GO network is standardizing to a 760mm level boarding height and they will be able to get a variety of emu and non-emu, both single and double level rolling stock with that door height
610mm

I have a question. What is this odd block looking piece on top of the go transit mp40ph’s?
I noticed more units are appearing with them on the roof, and the engines are quieter now with that piece installed.View attachment 419455

As part of the changes needed to make the prime movers Tier 3 compliant, that contraption - which is basically a muffler - was added. There were other changes made inside the units as well. All of the older units are getting the upgrades as they go in for their rebuilds.

The 10 units built to the Tier 3 standard were equipped with all of those changes from the factory.

Dan

As part of the changes needed to make the prime movers Tier 3 compliant, that contraption - which is basically a muffler - was added. There were other changes made inside the units as well. All of the older units are getting the upgrades as they go in for their rebuilds.

The 10 units built to the Tier 3 standard were equipped with all of those changes from the factory.

Dan
Oh is that why those mp40’s lost their unique prime mover noise when at notch 8?

They used to be very loud at notch 8. I notice some mp40’s are still like that, some haven’t got the upgrades yet I don’t think. Oh man go transit’s fleet is really changing.

Something interesting to note. Today I noticed a very interesting consist

It was MP40PH 632 leading F59PH 558, with Classic Cab Car 252 at the rear

I have noticed the F59s are being placed on non London Trains now, I wonder why?

I saw a couple of weeks ago an mp40ph and a classic cab car 252 all in the old livery expect one car in the train was the new livery.

Back