News   Mar 28, 2024
 192     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 607     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 369     0 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

I think these could be the electric locomotives.
I mean I don't see why GO would get new diesel locomotives when electrification has not even started.

I think these could be the electric locomotives.
I mean I don't see why GO would get new diesel locomotives when electrification has not even started.
It is most likely dual-mode locomotives. GO will need plenty of diesel locomotives before and after electrification to deal with the parts of the network they can't electrify. Dual-mode will allow electric running on the central electrified portion but allow the flexibility to use the locomotives to supplement the additional fleet with more frequent service beyond the electrified areas

You know, what I have been wondering for a while is what ever happened to that prototype T4 MP40 that was rebuilt. It hasn't been seen running since October of 2021.

May 25, 2022 - a somewhat unusual and an unexpected sight. Two Go Transit legacy control cabs, Nos. 256 and 257, in service (trailing lights are on) sitting side-by-side in the North Bathurst Yard this afternoon, waiting for their Wednesday evening rush hour departures.

20220525_160446.jpg

May 25, 2022 - a somewhat unusual and an unexpected sight. Two Go Transit legacy control cabs, Nos. 256 and 257, in service (trailing lights are on) sitting side-by-side in the North Bathurst Yard this afternoon, waiting for their Wednesday evening rush hour departures.

(pic removed)
I still find the missing reflector stripes on 256 to be quite interesting, considering that GO removed them for seemingly no reason. 255 also has missing stripes except it's on the sides where the marker and ditch lights are instead.

I still find the missing reflector stripes on 256 to be quite interesting, considering that GO removed them for seemingly no reason. 255 also has missing stripes except it's on the sides where the marker and ditch lights are instead.
Maybe they replaced the door with one from a non cab car?

GO didn't remove the stripes, at least not on purpose. What is more likely is that a replacement door was fitted to 256 that didn't have the reflective striping applied.

255 was in a grade crossing accident some time ago, and likely didn't receive the stripes when the new end cap was applied for the same reason.

Maybe they replaced the door with one from a non cab car?
The non-cab end doors are a completely different design, and are not interchangeable with the cab end doors.

Dan

Last edited:
With Alstom in charge of the rolling stock I don't know about that.
Alstom is not leading the procurement: Metrolinx is. Alstom has no problem maintaining locomotives from EMD and MPI on GO's behalf. In fact, Alstom also maintains fleets of Siemens trains in Bulgaria and the UK.

i really cant see them buying anything other than more mp40s. that would require parts services and different maintenance contracts.

would be so easy for them to add mp40s than to get a different brand.

i really cant see them buying anything other than more mp40s. that would require parts services and different maintenance contracts.

would be so easy for them to add mp40s than to get a different brand.
So more MP54s? That's probable but I feel like it'll be another model.

So more MP54s? That's probable but I feel like it'll be another model.
I agree. It is an open tender, and up to 33 locos will be ordered which isn’t insignificant. If Siemens won with the Charger, it is a popular model and parts will be easy to source for a long time. I am guessing that MX will just go with the lowest bidder here.

As an aside, Montreal’s Exo bought 10 Chargers earlier this year.

Back