3.3K     7 
News   Sep 30, 2022
 1.3K     0 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
EMUs generally have a higher floor and you will need a special set of high platforms at Union for Milton line trains. That can be done but that will limit the use of platforms to only one line and reduce the flexibility of switching platforms for other lines if needed.
Not true

In 2010 and 2022, was on low floor DD Emu's as well high floor, let alone single level. They come with slide out gap plates as well.

It depends on the system using them. Intercity trains are usually high floor that can be a problem when some stations are high floor while others are low floor. Then there is the issue where the car floor are a few inches higher or lower than the platform.

gotransitboyhere

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have a question. What is this odd block looking piece on top of the go transit mp40ph’s?
I noticed more units are appearing with them on the roof, and the engines are quieter now with that piece installed.
go-train-vaccine.jpg

RS3488

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have a question. What is this odd block looking piece on top of the go transit mp40ph’s?
I noticed more units are appearing with them on the roof, and the engines are quieter with that piece installed.View attachment 419455
It’s a tier 3 filter I believe. And it was put in place after studies showed that people in the coaches closest to the locomotive are more susceptible to emissions emanating from the engine.

gotransitboyhere

Member Bio
Reaction score
It’s a tier 3 filter I believe. And it was put in place after studies showed that people in the coaches closest to the locomotive are more susceptible to emissions emanating from the engine.
oh does that tier 3 filter also eliminate the engine noise. Because I noticed the mp40’s sound quieter than they used to.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
I noticed more units are appearing with them on the roof, and the engines are quieter now with that piece installed.View attachment 419455

As part of the changes needed to make the prime movers Tier 3 compliant, that contraption - which is basically a muffler - was added. There were other changes made inside the units as well. All of the older units are getting the upgrades as they go in for their rebuilds.

The 10 units built to the Tier 3 standard were equipped with all of those changes from the factory.

Dan

gotransitboyhere

Member Bio
Reaction score
As part of the changes needed to make the prime movers Tier 3 compliant, that contraption - which is basically a muffler - was added. There were other changes made inside the units as well. All of the older units are getting the upgrades as they go in for their rebuilds.

The 10 units built to the Tier 3 standard were equipped with all of those changes from the factory.

Dan
Oh is that why those mp40’s lost their unique prime mover noise when at notch 8?

gotransitboyhere

Member Bio
Reaction score
They used to be very loud at notch 8. I notice some mp40’s are still like that, some haven’t got the upgrades yet I don’t think. Oh man go transit’s fleet is really changing.

RS3488

Member Bio
Reaction score
Something interesting to note. Today I noticed a very interesting consist

It was MP40PH 632 leading F59PH 558, with Classic Cab Car 252 at the rear

I have noticed the F59s are being placed on non London Trains now, I wonder why?