News   Mar 28, 2024
 132     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

GO Transit Electrification (Metrolinx, Proposed)

Indeed, I wouldn't suggest retiring the diesel trains sooner than they approach their scheduled EOL.

And indeed, not that many suitable branches, but quite a few outer-end sections that may not be equipped with catenary in Phase 1, either because of the CN / CP objections or just because of the cost. In such cases, dual-power trains can help. Catenary to Bramalea, then using battery to Kitchener. Catenary to Markham Stn, then using battery to Lincolnville. Catenary to Langstaff, then using battery to Bloomington. And, of course the Hamilton GO as you mentioned.
If we move to lighter trainsets, we could potentially add branches that extend beyond rail ROWs.

26977-94034.jpg

If we move to lighter trainsets, we could potentially add branches that extend beyond rail ROWs.
Trying to figure out if this means tram-trains, road-rail coaches, or rail-dirigibles. Have a tough time seeing Transport Canada approving any of them this decade though.

Trying to figure out if this means tram-trains, road-rail coaches, or rail-dirigibles. Have a tough time seeing Transport Canada approving any of them this decade though.
I mean the legacy freight ROWs. Could be using elevated guideway, or otherwise new ROWs. In Canada we have this bizarre idea that trains only belong in legacy freight rail ROWs, in the middle of a street, or in a tunnel bored 30m underground.

All jokes aside, this is a REALLY big deal and not just for freight.

If VIA is to decarbonize it's fleet by 2050 {at the very latest} then hydrogen is the ONLY option unless they essentially get rid of every route except Windsor to Quebec City. The idea of catenary or even battery for such a huge system is laughable and VIA knows it. When CP/CN begin to really embrace hydrogen as the technology progresses and the political heat piles, they must build out the hydrogen infrastructure to accommodate it and VIA can piggy back onto that infrastructure to offer a true zero emissions nation-wide service.

I have been saying this for ages only to be ridiculed but seems I will be getting the last laugh.

All jokes aside, this is a REALLY big deal and not just for freight.

If VIA is to decarbonize it's fleet by 2050 {at the very latest} then hydrogen is the ONLY option unless they essentially get rid of every route except Windsor to Quebec City. The idea of catenary or even battery for such a huge system is laughable and VIA knows it. When CP/CN begin to really embrace hydrogen as the technology progresses and the political heat piles, they must build out the hydrogen infrastructure to accommodate it and VIA can piggy back onto that infrastructure to offer a true zero emissions nation-wide service.

I have been saying this for ages only to be ridiculed but seems I will be getting the last laugh.
It makes sense for branch lines and services, but for core mainline routes full catenary electrification makes far more sense. If you have a trunk that has constant train service maybe every 10-20 minutes (VIA wants 20 minute headways for VIA HFR), catenary electrification will save A TON OF MONEY long term.

Last edited:

Back