News   Apr 19, 2024
 277     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 962     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.7K     2 

GO Transit Electrification | Metrolinx

^ (painted) concrete.

And now for a wider context! Check out the new visual pollution - the catenary you see in the foreground is literally brand spanking new (all those tracks + signals + catenary were just rebuilt when they put the cut/cover metro tunnel entrance in), Teronnimo's new GO lines would probably look a bit like this.

6zeRIzf.png

Level Crossings? Even if the third rail was interrupted for a basic two lane level crossing, there are others which are far wider, and would be much more problematic. Also, it would be impossible to secure the area around a level crossing, to prevent trespassers on the railway right of way from touching the third rail, no matter how inadvertently.

Was a third rail ever considered for GO?

No. The network is so vast that from the outset it was intended to use some sort of high-voltage through the overhead to reduce the number of substations required - and generally, it's been some form of the modern 25kV as used almost everywhere in the world with modern electrifications. GO's system will only require a handful of substations and autotransformers for the full extent of the built-out network.

About the highest that can be run through a third rail is 1500V, and while that will still result in a reduction in the number of substations when compared to a more "traditional" subway line voltage (600V to 750V), it would still be several multiples higher than what is planned with the overhead system.

Dan

Speaking of AC versus DC, I keep forgetting to refer to the ongoing project in Adelaide that is probably most relevant to the GO electrification project. Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane all have AC systems (Brisbane electrified from the 70s, Perth the 90s and Adelaide last decade). Melbourne & Sydney have 1500v DC (electrified from the 1910s/1920s) - and Sydney Metro, which is totally separate from the existing network that could have gone AC or DC, is still DC like the rest of the network.

For a direct comparison though - one to keep in the back of your mind when the figures for GO electrification comes out: the SA government has been slowly upgrading lines - electrification, progressively transitioning the fleet from diesels to EMUs, new signalling/control etc.

The Gawler line (the line that goes through Adelaide's Northern suburbs) just got underway recently - so these numbers are 2019.

42km of track upgrades, catenary installation over existing track and an existing depot, new signalling plus procurement of 15 new 3-car EMU's - $615 million AUD.

$175 mil of the $615 mil is for train procurement, so they're roughly spending $10-11 million AUD per kilometre on hard infrastructure that will result in a 42km long 25kv AC electrified line plus new signalling/control system.

.... judging by the description it almost sounds like they want to trench or elevate the rail line in the Scarborough Junction Area.. Can't wait to see those plans..

There was some discussion of the benefits of electrification and the procurement at this week's town hall in Burlington. I don't have time at the moment to provide a time marked link so I can update this post later. If anyone else wants to please go ahead.

There was some discussion of the benefits of electrification and the procurement at this week's town hall in Burlington. I don't have time at the moment to provide a time marked link so I can update this post later. If anyone else wants to please go ahead.

1hr07min was where I found the word "electrification" in the transcript. Gonna give it a watch in a few minutes.

^ Where did you find the transcript? There was also some talk about the DBFOM model and a questioner noted the recent media story about "P3s". Verster responded to that.

Pretty satisfied with that town hall, they really cemented their commitment to electrification, and it was nice to hear about Hamilton getting more trains hopefully sooner than later.

^ Where did you find the transcript? There was also some talk about the DBFOM model and a questioner noted the recent media story about "P3s". Verster responded to that.
YouTube offers a transcript, click the three dots and it'll be an option.

Back