News   Apr 22, 2024
 782     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 262     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 669     0 

GO Transit Electrification | Metrolinx

However there may be issues with 25kv infrastructure that TTC hasn't had to deal with. Ideally I would want someone who had that expertise.

It's more the AC versus DC than the voltage that makes it quite a bit different. It's an overnight read, but the pdf publication at http://www.ocs4rail.com/downloads/ is pretty eye opening...

Edit to add: Section 9.4 really gets into the voodoo that makes AC so different.

Last edited:
It's more the AC versus DC than the voltage that makes it quite a bit different. It's an overnight read, but the pdf publication at http://www.ocs4rail.com/downloads/ is pretty eye opening...
Regardless considering their performance on the line 1 extension I wouldnt dare chance them on such a large project

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200131-142314.png
    Screenshot_20200131-142314.png
    171 KB · Views: 311
^ Where do you see the text about the open houses? It says the recent activity (including the page you linked to) was added 3 years 10 months ago.

1580507543454.png

^Sorry. I made a double error - a) mispointing the link and b) assuming the page that I did see matched a flyer that was going around this week.

I have only a crappy screen shot of one side of the flyer. It doesn't give dates or times, but the list of projects is interesting - and matches the page I was trying to point to. (For some reason, the UT editor forces a change in the url when I try to copy it, I'm baffled)

The thing that I noticed was the mention of the Scarborough Junction and Stouffville line Grade Separations. Hadn't seen these before.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 4.59.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 5.01.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 4.59.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 5.01.06 PM.png

^ Thanks. It says "starting" but is that the actual date of the open house? There's no time or location listed. There is also no contact email.

I'm excited to hear the complaints about catenary, although the tradeoff of quieter trains could shush the NIMBYs

I'm excited to hear the complaints about catenary, although the tradeoff of quieter trains could shush the NIMBYs
The NIMBYs were calling for quiet electric trains all along with these various GO infrastructure projects, so it’ll be hilarious if they start to backpedal on this in any way.

Battery offers the de/acceleration and quiet and smooth ride but without the much higher initial infrastructure costs, construction disruption, and maintenance of catenary. Added to this, battery doesn't have the horrible visual pollution of catenary wires.

Last edited:
battery offers the de/acceleration and quiet and smooth rise but without the much higher initial infrastructure costs and maintenance of catenary. Added to this, battery doesn't have the horrible visual pollution of catenary wires.

See our streetcar network for an idea of just how much visual pollution overhead wires cause.

I mean come on...

Battery offers the de/acceleration and quiet and smooth ride but without the much higher initial infrastructure costs, construction disruption, and maintenance of catenary. Added to this, battery doesn't have the horrible visual pollution of catenary wires.

This line was one of the first to get electrified here, but the catenary you see in this is about 40-50 years old. A quiet suburban street in between Ascot Vale and Newmarket stations

fGvYdGb.png

The unfathomable visual pollution of the car parks, suburban blight, weeds catenary in Melb's outer western suburbs!

TmpGDrB.png

The catenary overpowers everything else in greener areas!1!

Vubh7DS.png

etc.

Back