News   Apr 19, 2024
 392     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 576     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 961     3 

GO Transit Electrification | Metrolinx

Skip to 4:30 where he clearly states that they are looking to replace diesel
Also at 9:02 and pretty much everything afterwards is really interesting.

I’d say one of the good things about this government is that they record and upload their own announcements.
Now if only Toronto/TTC did the same.

He mentions they are looking for a bilevel solution at 11 minutes in as well. So Stadler kiss or NJ Transit EMU are good options.

I think it'll be interesting comparing the listed teams with the possible bi-level products they offer. Siemens, Bombardier and Alstom are directly involved with some of the teams. MTR's involvement is also interesting, as they do operate a couple of train lines around the world, including Sydney's and Melbourne's lines, and does use a variety of different rolling stock across their lines.

Also I wonder what the scope of the project is (which core segments are they focusing on- has it changed?), and what the total amount budgeting is.

Teams Prequalified for Go Rail Expansion On-Corridor Works Project
May 30, 2019
TORONTO - Infrastructure Ontario and Metrolinx are pleased to announce four teams have been prequalified to bid on the On-Corridor Works project as part of the GO Rail Expansion program which will provide more travel options for residents and commuters. Upon delivery, the GO Rail Expansion program will provide faster, more frequent, two-way, all-day service on core segments of the GO rail network.
Teams were prequalified from a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) process that began in March 2018 and were evaluated based on their experience and ability to design, build, finance, operate and maintain a project of this scope and complexity.
The prequalified teams are:
EnTransit
  • Applicant Lead: SNC-Lavalin Capital, Siemens Project Ventures, Keolis
  • Construction Team: SNC-Lavalin, Siemens
  • Design Team: SNC-Lavalin, Siemens, Balfour Beatty Rail
  • Operations & Maintenance Team: Keolis SNCF, SNC-Lavalin, Siemens
  • Financial Advisor: National Bank
MTR Kiewit Partners
  • Applicant Lead: MTR, Kiewit
  • Construction Team: MTR, Kiewit
  • Design Team: MTR, Arup, Mott Macdonald
  • Operations & Maintenance Team: MTR
  • Financial Advisor: Scotiabank
ONcore Transit
  • Applicant Lead: ACS
  • Construction Team: Dragados Canada
  • Design Team: AECOM, Sener
  • Operations & Maintenance Team: ACSIC, RATP Dev, Bombardier
  • Financial Advisor: Astris Finance and Rubicon
ONxpress Transportation Partners
  • Applicant Lead: Aecon Concessions, John Holland, Meridiam Infrastructure, Alstom Transport Canada
  • Construction Team: Aecon IM, John Holland, Alstom
  • Design Team: WSP, Hatch, Alstom
  • Operations & Maintenance Team: Deutsche Bahn, John Holland, Aecon O&M
  • Financial Advisor: RBC Dominion Securities
The scope of the On Corridor Works project includes:
  • Operation of train services including train driving
  • Timetable planning, train control and dispatch for all operators across the GO-owned rail network
  • Design, build, finance, integration, maintenance, rehabilitation or renewal of the railway corridor (civil infrastructure, tracks, systems, signaling, rolling stock, etc.)
  • Refurbishment, maintenance, servicing and cleaning of all rolling stock and procurement of new rolling stock
  • Construction of new maintenance and train storage and/or layover facilities
  • Reconstruction of Union Station track and platforms
  • Compliance with Metrolinx safety, security and emergency management policies
The On-Corridor Works project is a part of the Province's GO Rail Expansion program that will transform the existing GO Rail network into a world class rail system, create vibrant communities and provide greater opportunities for local jobs and business investment in the Greater Golden Horseshoe.

Last edited:
I think it'll be interesting comparing the listed teams with the possible bi-level products they offer. Siemens, Bombardier and Alstom are directly involved with some of the teams. MTR's involvement is also interesting, as they do operate a couple of train lines around the world, including Sydney's and Melbourne's lines, and does use a variety of different rolling stock across their lines.

Also I wonder what the scope of the project is (which core segments are they focusing on- has it changed?), and what the total amount budgeting is.
I sure hope MTR gets it. They have the best track record out of them all. Anything with SNC and Aecon just screams late and over budget or corruption

Well the main thing is that they are going to be getting rid of diesel for RER which is nothing but good news.

My concern is with the type of vehicles. I have always been strongly against bi-level trains and remain so. They are completely inferior to single levels which allow for much faster entry/exit times and hence far shorter station dwell times allowing for a faster tripe and higher frequency. Bi-levels for suburban systems are also notoriously bad for wheelchair/stroller access or for anyone with a mobility issues.

Well the main thing is that they are going to be getting rid of diesel for RER which is nothing but good news.

My concern is with the type of vehicles. I have always been strongly against bi-level trains and remain so. They are completely inferior to single levels which allow for much faster entry/exit times and hence far shorter station dwell times allowing for a faster tripe and higher frequency. Bi-levels for suburban systems are also notoriously bad for wheelchair/stroller access or for anyone with a mobility issues.
I think Bi-Levels would be better suited to the express service while single level trains run local, but it seems will be going pure Bi-Level. Assuming we go with the Stadler KISS for the electrified lines I wonder if there is an appetite for say the Stadler FLIRT for non-electrified lines like Richmond Hill. I personally don't see any problem running both EMU's and DMU's especially if they are both from the same company.

^Verster was very clear today that the mode of propulsion, and the style/ choice of vehicle, was left to the bidder.
We all have our personal preferences, but Stadler is no more or less in the running than anything else. Until we have a bidder selected, all bets are just speculation.

- Paul

^Verster was very clear today that the mode of propulsion, and the style/ choice of vehicle, was left to the bidder.
We all have our personal preferences, but Stadler is no more or less in the running than anything else. Until we have a bidder selected, all bets are just speculation.

- Paul
That's true yes but I would assume Stadler has the advantage in that they already have an FRA approved KISS and I believe FLIRT model. Considering Canada likes to stick close to the FRA's regulations Stadler just seems like the easier option. I don't really see GO using a vehicle that isn't FRA approved, or Transport Canada approving one that the US already hasn't.

Ottawa runs Alstom Coradia Lint trains on its Trilluim line so I think they could go with any standard EMU style.

They could, however if the bidder picks Stadler I think we know it will be the KISS; most likely the CalTrain version as well minus the high level doors. Regardless of who gets the bid and what they choose I do think picking up some DMU's for the Richmond Hill and Milton Lines would be a good idea.

Ottawa runs Alstom Coradia Lint trains on its Trilluim line so I think they could go with any standard EMU style.
That is a LRV, so it’s not FRA-compliant for crashworthiness. A “bilevel solution” probably is talking to the fact that GO Transit has a sizeable fleet of existing rolling stock, which would be a waste just to divest for all bright, new, shiny toys. Expansion of the fleet should all be based on the new technologies (DMU/EMU/etc), but it would be very advantageous to make use of what exists until it hits at least the next major milestone in its rehab/maintenance cycle.

Beyond the tractive power, bilevels will always have an advantage of delivering more people to the spce-constrained Union Station. It’s the same constraint that drove us to them in the first place.

The Lint is a regional train, not an LRV. Operating them requires an exemption from TC

For the purposes of regulation, there is no such thing as a "regional train". It either qualifies to run on the tracks, or it doesn't - the Lints being used in Ottawa fall under the latter and so for regulatory purposes are akin to LRVs.

The fact that they've had to undergo a safety case to allow them to operate on that track - and no other, it should be added - doesn't change what they are.

Dan

^ https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/consu...ttawa-o-train-trillium-line-extension-project

Application for Approval to Construct a Railway Line Submitted to the Canadian Transportation Agency under Section 98 of the Canada Transportation Act Submitted by the City of Ottawa February 14, 2019
[...]
6.3 Trains The Trillium Line currently operates a fleet of six (6) Alstom LINT diesel multiple unit (DMU) vehicles, which are 40 metres long and can accommodate 240 customers. The Alstom vehicles were approved by Transport Canada in 2015.
[...]
https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/default/files/City of Ottawa O-Train Trillium Line Section 98 Application to Construct_20190214.pdf

Last edited:

Back