News   Apr 25, 2024
 146     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

GO Transit Electrification | Metrolinx

Not sure if this is the right thread, but does anyone have data regarding the track class across the entire GO network? Ie, what is the class of track on the Weston Sub vs the York sub?

Not sure if this is the right thread, but does anyone have data regarding the track class across the entire GO network? Ie, what is the class of track on the Weston Sub vs the York sub?

It can usually be discerned by what the zone speeds of the specific areas. Most of the track in the Toronto area is maintained to either a Class 4 or Class 5 standard.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here for the sake of it. And disclaimer, I'm no fan of the PCs. Usually no government answers questions in Question Period. This instance could have just been a deflection for the sake of being difficult, and because no formal PC transit plan has been announced yet.

Here is the video clip of the exchange on GO Electrification. Clark does say "this is a very important item for us", but no commitment.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here for the sake of it. And disclaimer, I'm no fan of the PCs. Usually no government answers questions in Question Period. This instance could have just been a deflection for the sake of being difficult, and because no formal PC transit plan has been announced yet.

Here is the video clip of the exchange on GO Electrification. Clark does say "this is a very important item for us", but no commitment.

very important item as in first on the chopping block in their scorched earth quest to save $$??

It could be that the Tories are looking at alternatives to electrification of the entire system such as Hydrail or battery trains. Electrification is going to cost $1.5 billion and that money would buy an entire fleet of hydrogen or battery powered trains to say nothing of the fact that that knowing Toronto electrification will come in late and over budget unlike just buying rolling stock of hydrogen or battery trains which are bought at a set price and very significantly be plying the rail lines before the next election.

Hydrail and/or battery trains also allow Ford to separate himself from what is seen as a Wynne project and put his own stamp on it. Transit is a very political game in Toronto and Ford will want to get as much hay out of it as he can.

In 2014, Tim Hudak basically killed the PC campaign by declaring two things: firing 10,000 government employees and cancelling GO electrification. This time PC may scale back from the original system wide plan, but cancelling the whole thing is political suicide.

Why would you want to make GO a premium service? I don't see anything wrong with pricing it the same as the TTC. Ideally, you should be able to use GO and the TTC within Toronto with a single fair.
Again, if you could use GO for a TTC fare within Toronto why would you not be able to do the same within any other municipality? Why just Toronto?

Back