News   Apr 19, 2024
 122     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 813     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.6K     2 

GO Transit Electrification | Metrolinx

I believe the platform levelling for GO RER isn't to high-level standards like what Sydney has. The platforms you see in places like Australia, Germany, and Japan are subway height platforms. What GO RER is doing is a more marginal increase to bring platforms in line with the lower level doors so you no longer need to step-up to get into the train; since the current platforms are actually lower than the doors. You can actually see in this image in the distance, the accessible ramp part of the platform. That's as high as the platforms are getting. This is well below the subway height platforms used in the aforementioned countries.
well... this is already much better than what we have now so ill take it

What GO RER is doing is a more marginal increase to bring platforms in line with the lower level doors so you no longer need to step-up to get into the train; since the current platforms are actually lower than the doors. You can actually see in this image in the distance, the accessible ramp part of the platform. That's as high as the platforms are getting. This is well below the subway height platforms used in the aforementioned countries.

Also, they can achieve this height change at many stations by lowering the track level rather than modifying the platform; IIRC it gets quite close to level at Union too if they change to a subway style fastening system (rail bolted to concrete).

I cannot imagine that GO will sign a deal and immediately scrap its ~1,000 existing railcars. End of life cycle will present opportunities for gradual change.

I would think there would be a phased implementation plan and any bidder would take this into account and offer up some electric locomotives.

Mid-level boarding is more efficient as there are 4 stairways per car internally (2-down and 2-up) for passenger flow.

It could have a big impact on dwell time at Union and Exhibition (during events).
And what about people who can't use the internal stairways? I don't have any problems with the current arrangement, if only because the doors are as close as possible to the stairwells, while the bottom level can still have lots of space for people with mobility issues (or bicycles).

The GO system is built for boarding at the lower level. We should work with what we have, and prioritize level boarding in general instead of comparing GO to other cities' networks.

And what about people who can't use the internal stairways?

Conveniently, the mid-level on systems with mid-level doors do have some seating for persons with mobility issues.

The GO system is built for boarding at the lower level. We should work with what we have, and prioritize level boarding in general...

Agreed, level boarding is a big improvement and I'll take that as a win. BUT if it requires substantial platform modifications (rather than adjusting the rail height) then we can obtain non-trivial additional benefits at our busiest stations from high platforms.

Last edited:
You cannot compare GO commuter with RER because they serve totally different demographics.

Commuter rail serves ABLE BODIED worker going to the office and back and that's it. RER is for off peak service where you have many more seniors, disabled persons, cyclists, parents with strollers, students with huge knapsacks, and people carrying their huge shopping bags. This brings the entry/exit loading areas to a crawl as everyone tries to negotiate around these people. Also because RER is not just a one destination service you will get many people who are going short distances and hence will linger at the entry. This is much like subways where there maybe seats available but people will just stand near the exit if they are only going a few stations.

People using RER will be a completely different demographic than those using commuter rail and this should be reflected in the trains that serve them.

People using RER will be a completely different demographic than those using commuter rail and this should be reflected in the trains that serve them.

Commuters have just as much need for accessibility as anybody else. Level boarding assures that, even if the doors are on the lowest level.

I agree that boarding a GO bilevel while it is disgorging an entire carload of incoming commuters at peak is a challenge, and adds dwell... but that’s partly a function of narrow platforms as well as the car’s narrow interior stairs. Even so that doesn’t negate the value of the design.

- Paul

Doesn't doors on the lower level make a lot more of the car accessible than midlevel?
Depends on your station layout. Does your station make you climb up a set of stairs to get to the 48" platform height, or does it have ramps/elevators? It depends on the layout.

But also consider that if I have a bad leg but can still get up some stairs, I'd much rather get up those set of stairs as I'm entering the platform before the train shows up rather than try and climb those stairs while the train is boarding/alighting.

Seems like a sensible layout, but I wonder if all those 4 seats pods are really justified? More a long-distance travel thing, no?

You cannot compare GO commuter with RER because they serve totally different demographics.

Commuter rail serves ABLE BODIED worker going to the office and back and that's it. RER is for off peak service where you have many more seniors, disabled persons, cyclists, parents with strollers, students with huge knapsacks, and people carrying their huge shopping bags. This brings the entry/exit loading areas to a crawl as everyone tries to negotiate around these people. Also because RER is not just a one destination service you will get many people who are going short distances and hence will linger at the entry. This is much like subways where there maybe seats available but people will just stand near the exit if they are only going a few stations.

What Universe do you live in as that is a ""Discrimination"" comment you have made. ""EVERYONE"" has the same ""RIGHTS"" to use GO or RER at Peak Time or off peak regardless if they are able bodied or not as well your other examples.

You think non able bodied people don't work 9-5/8-4 daily, as that is not true.

Your thinking be longs in the early 1900's.

Man oh man

Back