News   Sep 29, 2020
 245     0 
News   Sep 29, 2020
 301     0 
News   Sep 29, 2020
 616     0 

GO Transit Electrification (Metrolinx, Proposed)

kEiThZ

Member Bio
Reaction score
GO electrification is a bad idea. This is because the concept of GO Transit as a whole is obsolete. It is no secret that self driving cars are close to being ready for deployment. Self driving cars will disrupt the transport market and eliminate the need for transit as we know it. GO Transit will be the hardest hit. Why would you take the train to Toronto when you could hail a ride in a driverless car for cheaper and arrive sooner? The benefits that self driving cars bring, including a reduction in congestion, increase in road throughput and improvement in general mobility make investing in transit a fool's errand. It would be better to take the money spent studying and constructing GO electrification and invest it in Waymo to ensure early access to the technology.
You should change your nickname. You actually hate cities. If didn't, you'd realize that even with a ton of autonomy, everyone driving in a car would clog up roads.

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score
You should change your nickname. You actually hate cities. If didn't, you'd realize that even with a ton of autonomy, everyone driving in a car would clog up roads.
Checking back, the person's profile was not available. Probably deleted his/her account soon after promoting the idea of self driving cars.

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
Cross post. See GO Construction for the link to the Kitchener Corridor TPAP.

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
^ Local media:

This line caught my eye.

An overhead power system will be similar to the ION lines.
I haven't looked at the TPAP material extensively. I realize Metrolinx needs to get baseline approvals for a catenary overhead wires option, but do the materials reference hydrogen at all? Although I realize this is off-corridor and not part of the RFP for on-corridor. I wonder if Metrolinx would work with ProjectCo on a separate contract for the off-corridor routes (Niagara Extension, Bowmanville Extension, Milton Line, Richmond Hill Line, and the Kitchener Extension - Bramalea to Kitchener).

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
^ Local media:

This line caught my eye.

I haven't looked at the TPAP material extensively. I realize Metrolinx needs to get baseline approvals for a catenary overhead wires option, but do the materials reference hydrogen at all? Although I realize this is off-corridor and not part of the RFP for on-corridor. I wonder if Metrolinx would work with ProjectCo on a separate contract for the off-corridor routes (Niagara Extension, Bowmanville Extension, Milton Line, Richmond Hill Line, and the Kitchener Extension - Bramalea to Kitchener).
I hope whatever they do they consult with VIA on the power system.

I foresee VIA HFR being extended to London in the future via Kitchener, and it would be a pain if the electrification for the current HFR plan and Metrolinx was a different standard.

Wm Perkins Bull

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hydrogen, is far better used on more long-haul needs like transport, ferries, air travel, cargo ships, longer distance rail service, and cars. It offers the flexibility of traditional diesel/oil/jet fuel without the emissions and is blissfully quieter. It can used for commuter systems but it has one big drawback............it can never be used on a route with any underground stations due to safety concerns much like diesel can't. As RER ridership soars it may be necessary to build even a small underground alternative station to relieve the stress on Union and with hydrogen that simply wouldn't be an option. Of course it is very promising but also is still a newer technology and will require years to get the kinks out of the system to say nothing of having a number of large fuel suppliers.

Battery trains are very much just standard catenary trains that simply require fewer wires. This gives them the flexibility of running on non-electrified routes, far less initial infrastructure costs, not having to deal with low clearance bridges, and are more reliable due to not being at the whim of Mother Nature. They also have far lower operational costs because they don't require constant replacements, maintenance, and repairs due to weather as wires ones do. The recharging stations can simply be done at each station but are more secure and now require no contact so degradation of the system is nearly non-existent. They also don't have the visual pollution of catenary wires makes them more palatable to the neighbourhoods they are going thru.

Battery trains have been around forever as has the technology and it is proven. The only difference now is that the battery technology has allowed them to be cost efficient and practical.
Hydrogen makes more sense on long range freight vehicles where even if batteries get cheap, power to weight ratio would remain an issue.

KevinT

Member Bio
Reaction score
I hope whatever they do they consult with VIA on the power system.

I foresee VIA HFR being extended to London in the future via Kitchener, and it would be a pain if the electrification for the current HFR plan and Metrolinx was a different standard.
For long distance like this It would be 25kV AC whether done for/by GO or for/by VIA. I don't know if maximum/minimum contact wire heights and the max offset from the rail centerline would be standard though, or if the two systems could still trip each other up there. Hopefully not...

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
^Everything that ML has done on electrification has referenced 25 kv which is the industry benchmark. I have lots of confidence that VIA has not been excluded in the planning. It would be remarkable if either GO or VIA went anywhere else in their thinking.

These EA’s are really just filling in small gaps in the earlier global electrification EA, and suggest that some finer detail thinking is going on. They are pretty innocuous to my eye. One senses that this corridor may see electrification even sooner than say LSE/LSW, perhaps because there are fewer things (eg low bridges) in the way that require costly prerequisite civil works.

I was intrigued by the sudden upping of profile around indigenous consultation. ( I’m not objecting, just observing). One of my pet conspiracy theories is that there is in fact a treaty document lurking somewhere which directly bears on this particular line. Collenette’s study hinted at this also. First Nations consent may somehow be more central to moving ahead than has been the case with other GTA rail projects. Just a theory.

- Paul

torontocolin

Member Bio
Reaction score
These EA’s are really just filling in small gaps in the earlier global electrification EA, and suggest that some finer detail thinking is going on. They are pretty innocuous to my eye. One senses that this corridor may see electrification even sooner than say LSE/LSW, perhaps because there are fewer things (eg low bridges) in the way that require costly prerequisite civil works.
This may be the case, but without the LSE how would they get any electric trains onto the corridor?

DKsan

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was intrigued by the sudden upping of profile around indigenous consultation. ( I’m not objecting, just observing). One of my pet conspiracy theories is that there is in fact a treaty document lurking somewhere which directly bears on this particular line. Collenette’s study hinted at this also. First Nations consent may somehow be more central to moving ahead than has been the case with other GTA rail projects. Just a theory.

- Paul
The Haldimand Tract could cause issues. Decent explainer. Full extent of the tract. And part of a small ongoing protest right now in Kitchener.

ssiguy2

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is one of the many problems with how Metrolinx has proceeded with RER. It is patently ridiculous that 6 years after RER was announced they still don't even know what kind of trains or technology they are going to be using. Now this discussion about catenary on the Kitchener Line which may not even be relevant if they go with battery or hydrogen. They are rebuilding stations and expanding/widening the rail network without putting up the catenary at the same time because again they don't know if they will be needed. That means if they go catenary all the disruption will start all over again.

It is the most ass backwards way to proceed with transit known to man and all because ML refuses to make any decisions about anything at all. As for this stupid notion of waiting for the bidders, that is not only a cop-out but one that will not serve Torontonians. Having a system that's based upon strictly the financial operation dictated by companies is offensive because what is best for a company does not mean it is the best system for the travelling public.

Can you imagine building the Eglinton Crosstown and then at the last minute deciding what king of trains and technology they have decided to use? It is patently absurd. Every other system on the planet has the trains and technology decided BEFORE it goes out to tender so they get more competing bids, can have more proactive, effciient, and coordinated corridor and station planning, and the travelling public actually knows what they are going to be getting. This is why the much shorter OL is getting all the attention but isn't nearly as transformative as RER.............it doesn't mean anything to anybody because nobody knows what it is, including ML.